Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A rag quilt for my DGD (dear grand dog!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A rag quilt for my DGD (dear grand dog!)

Here is my latest, a rag quilt made from my daughter's jeans she gave me to take to Goodwill and a Daily Deal charm pack of Max & Wiskers. It is smallish because it was meant for use in the car or couch to keep the dog hair in check. It's a surprise for them when they come to visit this week!
    Attached Files
    Patti
    "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Re: A rag quilt for my DGD (dear grand dog!)

My dogs are jealous!
    Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
    Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
    Pinterest

Comment

Thank you Katie! Nice blog, I added it to my favorites!
      Patti
      "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Wow! Looks great. What a great idea - both for the use of the jeans and the controlling of the dog hair. Nice job.
        ;)Nancy

I got a sewing machine for my husband. Good trade, huh!?!

Comment

What a lucky dog, It looks great.
          :icon_wave: Sunny

Blog: www.threesmallfryprimitives.blogspot.com

Facebook: Threesmallfry Primitives

Comment

Great idea!
            To quilt or not to quilt?.....what a ridiculous question!
            Check out all things quilty at my blog here: http://www.sassyquilter.com

Comment

Hey, Patti!
              We think alike. I, too, have made beds for my lil' poochies.
              What a thoughtful surprise you'll have for your daughter.
              P.S. So cozy looking too !

Comment

I'll bet they might like to keep for themselfs, great job and love the colors.

Comment

Hi Patti

It is beautiful! I was looking for this method of quilting but could not find the directions using jeans. could you post the directions when you have time?

Comment

well, how cute is that????? My little dogs would love their own blankets!!!! Great recycling too by the way.

Comment

i love it. i want to make one of those so bad
                      Patrice

Comment

Originally posted by TheNovice View Post
                        Hi Patti

It is beautiful! I was looking for this method of quilting but could not find the directions using jeans. could you post the directions when you have time?
                        I'd also like the tutorial if you would be able to share it! I have lots of jeans I could recycle.
                        Katie's Quilting Corner - Blog, Podcast and More!
                        Don't miss Free Pattern Friday posts!
                        Pinterest

Comment

This is so cool. I was thinking of making something for my two guys. They are 12 years old now and arthritic. That would be really warm for them. Thanks! Hugs, Jan L
                          Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Patti that is SO CUTE! Love the ragged effect....did you use another fabric for batting in the middle?f It looks so colorful and I bet it will stand up to lots of use by the doggie too!
                            Linda
                            -its not the number of breaths you take, but the moments that take your breath away!

sigpic

Comment

Thank you all for your comments. It was fun to make this for Max!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0UQg...feature=relmfu

I used this tutorial through You Tube and MSQC. It uses Minkee but if you watch it all the way until the end Jenny shows it done in denim.
                              I just changed the size of the block to 5" so I could use the charm packs I bought. Two charm packs containing 42 each = 84 charms and I wanted 90 so I cut an additional 6 from a gold fabric I had. The quilt is 9 blocks by 10 blocks, so 90 in all. The most time consuming thing was cutting the jeans, first I cut it into flat pieces then cut the flat pieces into 5 " squares. Continue as Jenny teaches and I would suggest when you start the clipping you consider getting a pair of those spring loaded scissors if possible as I had quite the blister on the inside of my thumb from the clipping!
                              Wash keeping in mind that you will have a ton of stringies from the denim! I threw it in the dryer twice and used a lint roller on it.
                              I am thinking of making another one soon so I will take some pics as I go along and let you know.
                              Patti
                              Last edited by patticakes; April 1, 2011, 03:55 PM. Reason: added size of quilt
                              Patti

Comment

Working...
                              X