Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My First Quilt

Hello everyone

I have just finished my first quilt. I purchased the jelly roll from Missouri Quilt company and used the tutorials for the fence rail pattern....or my version of. I even jumped right in and did free motion quilting....hubby bought me a new machine for my new adventures. So because he encouraged me and financed me this first quilt is his lol.
    There are a few mistakes but all in all I am feeling pretty proud. My mom was a quilter and I hope she would be proud too. I have purchased alot more from Missouri so I will be getting alot more practice lol and family has put in their orders as well LOL.

Thanks all for letting me share Maggie

Re: My First Quilt

Yay for you Maggie!! The first quilt is always so exciting!! (and then it becomes an addiction- and each one is more and more exciting!!) How wonderful that you are keeping the tradition....I bet your Mom is proud!

We can't wait to see a picture of it. Keep us in the loop about your next project!

Comment

I did it wooop. I added the picture. Hope it was alright.

Thanks to all the lovely ladies at Missouri for their tutorials and of course for their store....without all of that I wouldn't have a wonderful quilt and many more to do.

Maggie

PS Hubby has to fight the dog for the quilt LOL I think she likes it too.

Comment

it looks great!! what an awesome job for your first time.....

*sniff sniff* I'm always so emotional when a new quilter finishes their first project...
        Michele

Comment

Your quilt is absolutely beautiful. You're very brave jumping in with the free motion quilting. I'm on to my third quilt and I've only dared do straight lines so far ops:

The fabrics are gorgeous and I love the way you've put them together going dark to light. Congratulations!
          Quilting through the dull times
          northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Thanks for the compliments.

I wish I could take all the credit for the fabric but really all I did was lay out the strips so that I kinda had light to dark and then sewed all the strips. All the credit for the fabric I think goes to the people that invented jelly rolls LOL. I do remember that my mom usually did darks to lights......something about better placemets.....but I have also seen soo many other peoples quilts that is just what I ran with.

Wish I could start the next project but I have kids costumes to do(not that I want to LOL). So hopefully this weekend and maybe by then I will have gotten my dressden plate template and I can start that one.

Thanks all Maggie

Comment

ooo i just got my dressden plate. so want to tear into it... maybe we could do ours together... i am still working on vickies quilt the quilting part of it. do chevrons... sheese they take a long time..
              write me back... hey any one else want to get in on the dresden plate .. quilt then would jenny be proud.
              all the best gina from mpls
              all the best
              Gina

Comment

Hi there Gina

I would love to do the dresden with you...or anyone else ....just have to wait for good old mail to get mine here lol.
                I have the material already....just waiting for the plate. I have to stop watching the tutorial though it is making me want to do it all the more :cry: .

I am done just about 2 costumes...just have to do the design on son's knight costume and the belt and his is done. I just have to lace my daughters friends dress and that is done. Then have to make a skirt and hat and bow for daughter and I am done for this year LOL.

I am looking forward to quilting again lol.

Maggie :P

Comment

no problem on the wait thing. i too, have my fabric. i have my tool. i am just working on my sis in laws quilt. see, i made rules. i can't start a new project til the lat one is totally done.
                  it is hard to follow this rule. so i am excited to a project while we are miles apart.
                  the vids are going to be so helpful. and the shop is just a phone call away.
                  ee fun, i look so forward to this. see ya out here.
                  anybody else want to join us??
                  all the best
                  Gina

Comment

I'd love to join in but I don't have a Dresden Plate ruler and if it'll take forever to get here from the US. I wonder if I can find one in the UK?
                    Quilting through the dull times
                    northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

I know what it is like to have wait for the mail but I have found after running all over the city here one day because I was sure I had seen the template here before, that it just didn't make sense to waste all that gas and frustration when I knew I could get it from Missouri Quilt Co. I have also found that we don't have alot of things here that I want to quilt with....and that is not just quilting...the sewing garments selections isn't the greatest either. So I have taken to looking online and having to pay the shipping charges.

Hope your search is better and that you can join us.

Maggie

Comment

this is your first?? Seriously?? It's so nice! I'm going to make a similar quilt for my son with a Flag Day Farm Jelly Roll. Good job, I can't wait to see more!

Comment

AWWWWWWW shucks I am blushing!!! Yes seriously this is my first quilt that I have made start to finish.

Thanks for the compliment.

Maggie

Comment

Maggie I think your quilt is just beautiful, you did a wonderful job! I love the colors too

Comment

Nice job and such pretty colors! I just finished my first one, too, and it's a little scary to jump in with the free motion.
                              Happy quilting
                              http://dottyjanedesigns.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X