Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A stained glass looking wall hanging for my oldest son

I'm very much a why not? person so with an amazing three months' experience
    behind the sewing machine pedal I opted for this idea in May 2009.

His 31. birthday and his mamma felt his house could do with some soft furnishing.
    I had ordered some stash builders and felt pretty confident - BIG mistake.

I sketched the "window" and fused away and was VERY happy but..
    You will not believe the headache this as you go attitude brought me
    when it came to where to join the selfmade bias tapes....

But my son was very pleased so all ended well!

Picture taken at the time on my floor so looks a bit skewed but is not!

I would love to see pictures/hear from you experienced girls
    when it comes to your stained glass-look projects.

Hugs from Eva Mari

PS: To be on the safe side I gave him a table runner and two place mats as well.
    The denim from some of his old pants he no longer used, the peppers a gorgeous quilt fabric
    + decorative seams with two threads in the needle.

He LOVES tex mex food..

Last edited by Emmari; March 15, 2011, 04:02 AM.
    Fabric purchases require no justification!
    A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Re: A stained glass looking wall hanging for my oldest son

Wow - that's gorgeous! I've never tried the self made bias tape - did hear it had it's headaches while working with it. So, kuddos to you for even trying the technique! No wonder he loves it - it really is pretty. Looks like a church window to me.
    The placemats and table runner are pretty too, especially if he loves that kind of food. His mouth probably drools everytime he sees them.

Hugs,
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
    http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
    http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

Thank you so much, quilting trish! I actually make my straight grain /bias tapes myself most of the time: so much more soft and pliable than the store bought + unlimited colors/patterns!

In this self designed pattern the headache was how to conceale the raw edges under other tapes - I'm such a clutz so had to handsew down some of it...

And yes, he enjoys the other gifts as well, - luckily he is very tall so no bump due to that just yet... LOL

Hugs from Eva Mari
      A stash must be carefully and constantly built. That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

Comment

Your quilt is beautiful.

Comment

What a great job of 'winging it'. I'm kinda like that - jump in with both feet and when it gets so deep I need to call for help . . . Love the cathedral windows and love the denim in the placemats and table runner.
          Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
          it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

wow... it really does look like a stained glass window !!! It's beautiful !

Kelley

Comment

Absolutely beautiful

Comment

Your 'window' is gorgeous! What an inspiration for the rest of us.

Comment

Beautiful work on everything, LOVE the stained glass window look. Thanks so much for sharing!
                  There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

The stained glass quilt is absolutely gorgeous! Love the runner and placemats. You did such a great job on both of these gifts. I bet he will treasure them forever!
                    Patti
                    Patti
                    "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

Love the stained glass quilt and the table runners. You did a great job! Pat yourself on the back. I will never in this lifetime try this. You are braver than I am. Hugs, Jan L
                      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Originally posted by mollys learning to quilt View Post
                        Your quilt is beautiful.
                        Thank you so much, "honey bun"... It's so funny with the titles that keep changing, - is there an index somewhere?

Originally posted by Sandy Navas View Post
                        What a great job of 'winging it'. I'm kinda like that - jump in with both feet and when it gets so deep I need to call for help . . . Love the cathedral windows and love the denim in the placemats and table runner.
                        Thank you, Sandy! We'll take comfort in the fact that we learn a lot by mistakes, huh?

Originally posted by kelandspence View Post
                        wow... it really does look like a stained glass window !!! It's beautiful !

Kelley
                        Thank you, Kelley! The stash were charm packs with different "blenders", bought on line from The Cotton Patch in the UK.

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                        Absolutely beautiful
                        Thank you so much, Leigh!

Originally posted by newbiequilter View Post
                        Your 'window' is gorgeous! What an inspiration for the rest of us.
                        Thank you from this newbie to another! Hugs!

Originally posted by debinmalaga View Post
                        Beautiful work on everything, LOVE the stained glass window look. Thanks so much for sharing!
                        Thanks, Deb! I love watching pictures other quilters post so I thought I'd add these although they are far from current..

Originally posted by patticakes View Post
                        The stained glass quilt is absolutely gorgeous! Love the runner and placemats. You did such a great job on both of these gifts. I bet he will treasure them forever!
                        Patti
                        Thank you, Patti! He is in the process of moving due to him working in the RNAF and things I have made he says he will drive in his car, - NOT trust movers with... LOL

Originally posted by janluna View Post
                        Love the stained glass quilt and the table runners. You did a great job! Pat yourself on the back. I will never in this lifetime try this. You are braver than I am. Hugs, Jan L
                        Oh please try, - I promise you that you will have a ball!! And thank you!

Comment

Beautiful! You did a great job winging it. i do that alot with things i make-get an idea in my head and start. Usually it works out but occasionally......
                          “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

LOL I know, - but I think it is good for us to run with an idea
                            and we usually learn a lot more by DOING, right? Hugs!
                            Right now I'm working on a lot of projects - wish I had more hands AND time! LOL

One idea is taking this photo

play with it in Adobe Photoshop Elements and have a fabric printed by Karma Kraft,
                            - they do reactive colors not pigmented.
                            I have had some Oh no! with fabrics printed and awwwwww'd over but after washing...

Comment

love the stained glass look. so very pretty.

Comment

Working...
                              X