Am I the only "dinosour" left.....?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Am I the only "dinosour" left.....?

I still hand tie my flannel baby quilts and child quilts.....I like the soft poofy look and feel.......does anyone still hand tie their quilts....or am I really the only "Dinosaur" left.....?
    Attached Files

Re: Am I the only "dinosour" left.....?

I remember my Mother hand tied quilts. They were always big, thick and heavy blankets she had made from left over/ outgrown wool coats. Back in "the day" coats had 3 to 4 yards of fabric in them. I know there are afew here who still hand tie.. ...
    Judy

Click HERE to find me and My imagination
    :icon_wave:

Comment

I would love to hand tie a small quilt for myself. However most of the quilts I make are for the PICU, and they don't want tied quilts. I do love the memories they bring back.
      Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
      sigpic

Comment

I have never seen (or made) a hand-tied quilt other than in pictures. I do love the look though and may try it some day
        *Dee*
        Believe
        There Is
        Good In The World

Comment

Originally posted by Donna Mae View Post
          I still hand tie my flannel baby quilts and child quilts.....I like the soft poofy look and feel.......does anyone still hand tie their quilts....or am I really the only "Dinosaur" left.....?
          I have hand-tied quilts before and it goes really fast. I do like the look and feel. The last one I did like that was a strip quilt that seemed really bulky, so I hand-tied it and it turned out beautifully. My granddaughter has it in her crib and will soon be on her "big girl" bed. And no, you are not a dinosaur.

Comment

You are NOT a dinosaur!
            I personally love the look of hand-tied. It's old school, and charming.
            I wish the charities weren't quite so fussy. I'd be a lot more productive!
            I really need to get off the exclamation point.
            It may give people the idea that I'm bright and cheerful all the time....

Comment

You are not a dinosaur and your work is beautiful. I don't or rather haven't hand tied one yet.
              Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Donna Mae, can you please explain what is "hand tie" I cannot find a good Translation. My dictionary always tells me something from this small colored ribbon, men have around their neck when wearing a Business suit ... why does this procedure make quilt more poofy? Maybe if I know how to do I come with you into the dino fraction, because I love Hand sewing

Comment

This is a cute tute for it. But there are youtube videos too.

The Last Piece: How to Tie a Quilt - A Tutorial

I really like her quilt!
                  🌺 Lorie

Comment

I often tie quilts.
                    “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

I forgot to say how nice your quilt's and puppys were
                      🌺 Lorie

Comment

Yes there are other dino's out there. I also like to hand tie smaller quilts. and ones i use homespun material.

Comment

I went to a quilt show last weekend and there were several tied quilts...and not just old ones. Some were flannel and there was a gorgeous wool one. If tying produces the look and feel you want, go for it! There are no Quilt Police around here. We all do our own thing and often do things our own unique way.
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Working on one now for my 10 year old nephew. My grandmother taught me tied quilting when I was younger. We all have tied quilts from her. I am slowly learning FMQ. Love the look of a "quilted" quilt but the tied quilts are pouffier which is great. Here is one I made earlier this summer for my niece and her groom.photo-20.JPG

Comment

Renate, quilts are only as poofy as the batting you use. It is easy to use high loft poly batting in tied quilts, which doesn't work so well with machine quilting. Plenty of tutorials on you tube. Just search 'hand tied quilts'.
                              Blankets wrap you in warmth, quilts wrap you in love

Marilyn......
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X