Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bkthomas
    replied
    Re: Finally something (small) to show...

Awww...Vicki...you go girl!!!
    I see you have had lots of help....the people on this forum are all so helpful!
    Now you know to make strip sets....don't be too hard on yourself....we all have good days and bad days.
    You will do nothing but improve....I like what you have done sew far!

Leave a comment:

• CraftyBarb
    replied

Both are really nice. The table runner is lovely. I enjoy making the zig zag runners.

Barbara

Leave a comment:

• tdimitrov77
    replied

The quilt is beautiful... I think you will be the only one who looks and says.. hey those squares are not lined up right.. lol. It was definitely a little much for a first project, but you did a fantastic job. Sometimes the best way to learn is to dive right in and learn from your mistakes anyway. Love the table runner as well. Great job!

Leave a comment:

• SallyO'Sews
    replied

Vicki, I love both of these. Your first project has beautiful colors and I really think it's beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• easyquilts
    replied

I love your quilt and your pretty table runner... It really did turn out well!

Leave a comment:

• JimsQueenie
    replied

You stick it out, Ksap!! Like I told VickiJ, it only gets easier and there are lots of quilters that do nothing but 4-patch, 9-patch or even log cabin!! You will find your nitch and excel!! Piece and blessings, Vicki

Leave a comment:

• ksap
    replied

Wow! Great quilts!! I love the funky kitchen fabric and you did a great job with all of those little squares. I wouldn't have even known where to begin with that so you are brave to take it on.

The more I read these posts, the more I think I might need to be in some kind of remedial quilting class because you are all so knowledgeable and much better at sewing. Hopefully some day I will move out of "Quilting Kindergarten"

Leave a comment:

• JimsQueenie
    replied

You hang in there, Vicki, it just gets easier and easier as you go along. I want to know why you cut up the charm squares into such tiny squares when Jenny used charms for her tutorial. Was it because you saw another quilt and patterned it after that? I think you did a good job, especially for a beginner. You learned to sew one right after the other and to match up seams. You want to learn to FMQ and that is a big start. Congratulations!! Piece and blessings, Vicki

Leave a comment:

• tamsterg7
    replied

Viki, love your runner and cannot believe your first project was all those itty bitty squares! Mighty impressive

Leave a comment:

• Ginny B
    replied

Vicki, I think you did an amazing job with all those little teeny squares. I haven't tried the zig zag tablerunner yet. Love yours.

Leave a comment:

• Joan@DebtofGratitude
    replied

I think your purple quilt is beautiful. I can't believe you made it as a first -- my lord, I would run away screaming never to return! Great job.

Leave a comment:

• pcbatiks
    replied

Vicki.........great job on your projects! Love the table runner!

Leave a comment:

• Blondie
    replied

Vicki! Just LOVE what you have done!!!!!!!! Good job, girlfriend.
    Blondie

Originally posted by VickiJ View Post
    So recently I posted about how I was driving myself insane trying to decide what to do with all this pretty fabric I got, both here at M* and locally...

Got great advice from some ladies here and I managed to complete my very first zig zag table runner using the Cream and Sugar charm pack!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54501[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]54502[/ATTACH]

I was hoping to get to some matching mug rugs and at least the first "slice" of the double-slice layer cake I also have planned completed but I realized I am not yet all that fast with the sewing. Definitely won't be winning any jelly roll races anytime soon. But that is ok, you can't really tell too much from the pictures but I'm pretty proud of most of my stiches. I think I did a pretty good job.

I also managed to sew together all 23 rows of the first piecing I ever started. The quilt that started it all - that's been in storage for over 3 years. The one with the 23 rows of 23 tiny squares that if I were teaching someone how to quilt I would NEVER start with a pattern like this but...live and learn. LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54503[/ATTACH]

This was so hard for someone who never sewed before. Sewing it together now, after watching all Jenny's tutorials - I realize just how bad a job I did making my squares all equal size and sewing them into rows. Many of them don't line up like they are suppose to, there is definite puckering in the middle and for the life of me I can't figure out why the pattern looks so ...off. The numbered rows must have gotten out of order but I couldn't figure out how to get them back so I just sewed it together as is! My next step will be to figure out how to square it up. Then I will back it with a bed sheet or something equally cheap and practice FMQing on it.

I really did have a good time sewing Sunday afternoon. Hoping I can get something else going this weekend. There's a MIMI layer cake that is just itching to be double-sliced.

OK - I can tell by my preview that I am having a hard time attaching these pictures where I want them but it is 11:30 at night and this is starting to make me mad - so...I'll have to try and figure it out some other time. Good night.

Leave a comment:

• GrammaBabs
    replied

this quilt is fabulous... LOVE the colors and scrappy look... (but I am the non conformist of this place I think)..... you gals are the best always helping people....the group I sew with every Tuesday does just this for me,,, I stich and stich and cut and put all kinds of crazy stuff together... then put it up on the wall and my great gals pull it all together for me. or guide me.... that's what makes this hobby so wonderful... it's PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leave a comment:

• Bubby
    replied

Vicki, Your table runner turned out wonderful! I love that fabric and I bought a layercake to make a small quilt. Your quilt blocks are gorgeous, just take your time to sew them together. I'm so glad you took the plunge into quilting!!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X