• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VickiJ
    Batting Beauty
    • Jul 2013

Finally something (small) to show...

So recently I posted about how I was driving myself insane trying to decide what to do with all this pretty fabric I got, both here at M* and locally...

Got great advice from some ladies here and I managed to complete my very first zig zag table runner using the Cream and Sugar charm pack!

I was hoping to get to some matching mug rugs and at least the first "slice" of the double-slice layer cake I also have planned completed but I realized I am not yet all that fast with the sewing. Definitely won't be winning any jelly roll races anytime soon. But that is ok, you can't really tell too much from the pictures but I'm pretty proud of most of my stiches. I think I did a pretty good job.

I also managed to sew together all 23 rows of the first piecing I ever started. The quilt that started it all - that's been in storage for over 3 years. The one with the 23 rows of 23 tiny squares that if I were teaching someone how to quilt I would NEVER start with a pattern like this but...live and learn. LOL

first quilt piecing (600x800).jpg

This was so hard for someone who never sewed before. Sewing it together now, after watching all Jenny's tutorials - I realize just how bad a job I did making my squares all equal size and sewing them into rows. Many of them don't line up like they are suppose to, there is definite puckering in the middle and for the life of me I can't figure out why the pattern looks so ...off. The numbered rows must have gotten out of order but I couldn't figure out how to get them back so I just sewed it together as is! My next step will be to figure out how to square it up. Then I will back it with a bed sheet or something equally cheap and practice FMQing on it.

I really did have a good time sewing Sunday afternoon. Hoping I can get something else going this weekend. There's a MIMI layer cake that is just itching to be double-sliced.

OK - I can tell by my preview that I am having a hard time attaching these pictures where I want them but it is 11:30 at night and this is starting to make me mad - so...I'll have to try and figure it out some other time. Good night.
    Attached Files
    Vicki
    Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:
  • Lisapc
    Missouri Star
    • Oct 2012

Re: Finally something (small) to show...

Wonderful runner! Although your work on that is beautiful I think you might be a little crazy brave to do that as your first quilt.

Congratulations!
    Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

• PeggyM
      Missouri Star
      • Jun 2013

That's beautiful! More matching seams than I wantn to tackle.
      My friends call me Peggy
      The government calls me Mary Margaret

Proverbs 13:22 A good person leaves an inheritance for their children’s children.

Comment

• turena65
        Missouri Star
        • Apr 2013

I think you did an amazing job on both of them, especially for the first time... beautiful!

Comment

• Mpyles
          Missouri Star
          • Feb 2013

They look great!!!!!!
          Mary
          SW Missouri

Comment

• K. McEuen
            Super Moderator
            Missouri Star
            • Jan 2011

Your runner turned out great.

Now, you may not be happy with it and the order of the blocks may have gotten messed up, but you really did a good job matching up those squares on your first project.
            K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
            Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
            T - is it TRUE?
            H - is it HELPFUL?
            I - is it INSPIRING?
            N - is it NECESSARY?
            K - is it KIND?

Comment

• Musical_Starling
              Missouri Star
              • Jun 2012

Well if you switch around some of those rows on that quilt they do match up Like the bottom three, if you switch the one at the very bottom with the one two rows up and leave that second (middle) one in place, then they match up. And the top three match too, but they need to be switched too and the middle one needs to actually be flipped. So they do match, just not quite in the order you laid them out in for the picture I love puzzles, I wish I was there to help you put that one back together.

Your table runner is super cute! I still haven't made one of those, but will soon with a leftover Christmas charm pack I have from last year.
              *Dee*
              Believe
              There Is
              Good In The World

Comment

• K. McEuen
                Super Moderator
                Missouri Star
                • Jan 2011

Okay. I numbered the rows (as I could see them, number 5 might be 2 rows? but they are in order if it is) See if this looks more like the pattern. It's not perfect because it's not a straight on picture of the parts so the perspective is a little skewed, but I think the order is better, maybe.

order.jpg

and yes, a couple rows aren't only moved, they are turned upside down. Just look at the numbers on the original and the one I did.
                Last edited by K. McEuen; August 27, 2013, 10:48 PM.
                K is for Karen 😊​ Albuquerque, NM..................
                Cremation - My last hope for a smokin' hot body.

Before you speak,
                T - is it TRUE?
                H - is it HELPFUL?
                I - is it INSPIRING?
                N - is it NECESSARY?
                K - is it KIND?

Comment

• GuitarGramma
                  Missouri Star
                  • Apr 2012

Karen, I've always thought you were good, but that is amazing.

And Dee, I remeber your CDO signature. You were able to put that CDO to good use, figuring out how the rows should go. I didn't even know where to start looking.

Vicki, your projects are great. Hard to believe you're new at this.
                  Toni (Southern California) ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

• Musical_Starling
                    Missouri Star
                    • Jun 2012

Originally posted by K. McEuen View Post
                    Okay. I numbered the rows (as I could see them, number 5 might be 2 rows? but they are in order if it is) See if this looks more like the pattern. It's not perfect because it's not a straight on picture of the parts so the perspective is a little skewed, but I think the order if better, maybe.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54510[/ATTACH]

and yes, a couple rows aren't only moved, they are turned upside down. Just look at the numbers on the original and the one I did.
                    I tried to do that in paint and couldn't draw a straight line to save my soul so I gave up and tried to explain it as best I could lol You're VERY close! But (I think) rows 1, 2, and 3 go together that way, but when sewn together should be flipped so it meets up with 4 and that little white stripe goes across the opposite corner. Does that make sense? So then it would be 1, 2 (upside down), 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, 5. I think. lol

Great job on the picture, you did a lot better than the poor attempt I made! lol

Originally posted by GuitarGramma View Post
                    Karen, I've always thought you were good, but that is amazing.

And Dee, I remeber your CDO signature. You were able to put that CDO to good use, figuring out how the rows should go. I didn't even know where to start looking.

Vicki, your projects are great. Hard to believe you're new at this.
                    My CDO would be in overdrive if I was putting it together myself lol It's a curse sometimes, it really is lol
                    Last edited by Musical_Starling; August 27, 2013, 10:54 PM.
                    *Dee*
                    Believe
                    There Is
                    Good In The World

Comment

• VickiJ
                      Batting Beauty
                      • Jul 2013

HOLY COW!!! My. Mind. Is. Blown.

Dee & Karen - I can not believe you guys were able to do that from a picture!! Now I'm really sorry I didn't post that picture sooner. I took it when I first layed it out a couple of weeks ago but I forgot to take a pic after I sewed it this weekend. I'm seriously considering taking it apart and trying to match what you guys did. That looks sooo much better. I wasn't very fond of some of the fabric choices my friend recommended - and having it all out of order like that really wasn't helping the cause. It looks so much better with more of the pattern intact.

Also - my next project needs to be a removable design wall - because I'm too old and out of shape to be doing all this stuff on the floor. LOL

Believe me Peggy & Lisa - if I knew THEN what I know now, I never would have started with something like this. But - in my quilting teacher friend's defense - this was started at least 5 years ago, we were suppose to be able to work together until it was done and I honestly don't know if the pre-cuts were even around then - let alone all the rage like they are now. Life just got in the way and I ended up moving out of state before it got completed. I believe my finished squares are suppose to be 3.5" - yeah. I won't be going smaller than a charm pack anytime in the near future!! LOL

Thank you all for the lovely comments and encouragement!
                      Vicki
                      Is a Nine Patch part of a 12-Step program? :icon_beuj:

Comment

• bdmsmith
                        Missouri Star
                        • May 2013

Both are very pretty. I love all the colors in them.
                        :icon_wave: Teresa

Comment

• Bubby
                          Missouri Star
                          • Jun 2011

Vicki, Your table runner turned out wonderful! I love that fabric and I bought a layercake to make a small quilt. Your quilt blocks are gorgeous, just take your time to sew them together. I'm so glad you took the plunge into quilting!!
                          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

• GrammaBabs
                            Missouri Star
                            • Aug 2010

this quilt is fabulous... LOVE the colors and scrappy look... (but I am the non conformist of this place I think)..... you gals are the best always helping people....the group I sew with every Tuesday does just this for me,,, I stich and stich and cut and put all kinds of crazy stuff together... then put it up on the wall and my great gals pull it all together for me. or guide me.... that's what makes this hobby so wonderful... it's PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                            that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

• Blondie
                              Missouri Star
                              • May 2010

Vicki! Just LOVE what you have done!!!!!!!! Good job, girlfriend.
                              Blondie

Originally posted by VickiJ View Post
                              So recently I posted about how I was driving myself insane trying to decide what to do with all this pretty fabric I got, both here at M* and locally...

Got great advice from some ladies here and I managed to complete my very first zig zag table runner using the Cream and Sugar charm pack!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54501[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]54502[/ATTACH]

I was hoping to get to some matching mug rugs and at least the first "slice" of the double-slice layer cake I also have planned completed but I realized I am not yet all that fast with the sewing. Definitely won't be winning any jelly roll races anytime soon. But that is ok, you can't really tell too much from the pictures but I'm pretty proud of most of my stiches. I think I did a pretty good job.

I also managed to sew together all 23 rows of the first piecing I ever started. The quilt that started it all - that's been in storage for over 3 years. The one with the 23 rows of 23 tiny squares that if I were teaching someone how to quilt I would NEVER start with a pattern like this but...live and learn. LOL

[ATTACH=CONFIG]54503[/ATTACH]

This was so hard for someone who never sewed before. Sewing it together now, after watching all Jenny's tutorials - I realize just how bad a job I did making my squares all equal size and sewing them into rows. Many of them don't line up like they are suppose to, there is definite puckering in the middle and for the life of me I can't figure out why the pattern looks so ...off. The numbered rows must have gotten out of order but I couldn't figure out how to get them back so I just sewed it together as is! My next step will be to figure out how to square it up. Then I will back it with a bed sheet or something equally cheap and practice FMQing on it.

I really did have a good time sewing Sunday afternoon. Hoping I can get something else going this weekend. There's a MIMI layer cake that is just itching to be double-sliced.

OK - I can tell by my preview that I am having a hard time attaching these pictures where I want them but it is 11:30 at night and this is starting to make me mad - so...I'll have to try and figure it out some other time. Good night.
                              Sewing mends the soul.
                              sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                              Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                              ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

Working...
                              X