Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Friday Night Project

Hi friends . . .

I thought I would show you my Friday night project. It's a heart-shaped potholder. The design is my own.

I needed a small gift for a company retreat AND I needed a container to hold several slips of paper. I came up with the quilted heart idea, thinking I could put the slips down in the pocket of the potholder, then give the potholder away.

I bought a charm pack of vintage prints a long time ago and finally figured out a use for it. (Yay me!) I like it so much I don't want to give it away -- but, of course, I will. Since I'm giving it away, I stitched on one of my quilt labels.

I'm a new quilter so it took me all evening to make this (about three hours), but you can see it is patchwork and quilted even inside the pocket. I have never done curved binding before so it was challenging. I welcome any tips you can provide.

All in all, I think it's not bad for a Friday night's work. And I really enjoyed it. I see potholders as gifts in my friends and family's future.

I can't even begin to express how much I love quilting! I had no idea I could be this creatively fulfilled.

potfront.jpg

potinside.jpg

potback.jpg
    Joan, aka the Unaquilter

"I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma."

Learn more about me and my quilts at my blog:

http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/

Re: My Friday Night Project

Joan it is darling! A very clever idea for a practical and nice gift.

I am curious, did you use a bias binding on this? With those tight curves, bias binding works great. I just made a round placemat and finished it with bias binding. The advice I got from the designer was to NOT STRETCH the binding as I sewed the binding on to the item in my first seam. When I curved it over the edge, it laid perfectly flat, no tucks and I could sew the second seam very smoothly. Worked like a charm for me.

Comment

I love the fabrics that you used! Great job, I bet your friend will love it!

Comment

No, I did not use bias binding. D'oh! I know it works better on curves -- just didn't think of it. Thank you for the reminder! Will try that with my next one.
        Joan, aka the Unaquilter

"I've never been to heaven, but I've been to Oklahoma."

Learn more about me and my quilts at my blog:

http://debtofgratitude.wordpress.com/

Comment

What a nice gift idea! It turned out very pretty, I like it.

Comment

Originally posted by [email protected] View Post
            No, I did not use bias binding. D'oh! I know it works better on curves -- just didn't think of it. Thank you for the reminder! Will try that with my next one.
            It is so cute, I want to make one myself!

Have you seen the technique for making yards of bias binding from a square or rectangle? I was reintroduced to that technique in a workshop I took several weeks ago, it works great. I'll try to locate a link to directions for making this.

Comment

How great you got to use your "it's MINE" fabric hahaha so cute I would also have a hard time giving it away (but would *sigh*). Definately bias binding also you could put the binding between the layers, sew and flip like pillow piping? Welcome to the Fun, creative world of quilting! Can't wait to see what you come up with next, way to go on this cute Potholder Pocket
              Debbie and the cats KayCee (16), Lucky Streak (11), and gods gift Sandia (8)

RIP Bonnie (18) December 2014 We had 10 loving years before you went to see your previous Meow-Mom - tell her I love you too!

Spread Sunshine with every thought, word and deed.

Comment

Here's the link for how to make the continuous bias binding. Patrick Lose demonstrated this at the workshop I attended.

Bias Binding with Patrick Lose

Jenny also has a similar tutorial, but her method wastes some fabric, but has fewer seams. Both tutorials are good! See K. McEuen's user notes for the link to Jenny's tutorial.

Comment

This is just so cute. Love it.

Marion

Comment

That is adorable! What a great gift
                    Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

Very cute and I would have a hard time giving it away too!
                      :icon_wave: Teresa

Comment

So so cute

Comment

Too cute! I was going to recommend bias binding but someone beat me to it.
                          See what I'm sewing at http://disfordovey.blogspot.com

Comment

It is just wonderful, a really nice gift.
                            Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                            X