stashbusting again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

stashbusting again

Hi.. I was given several fabric sample hangers from a friend - the carboard hanger thingy with several pieces of fabric, in descending size and color.. I cut the fabric right along the cardboard edge and thought to give away the hangers with a layer insidne the fold that are 2.5" long and over 3" between the grommet like things stapling it all together. I looked at those hangers adn thought 2.5" is perfect for random blocks sewn to a WOW strip cut at 2.5". So I tore aprt all those carboarc things, and cut the fabric out.. you will see my progress and free colors on teh picture that I'm attaching. The basketis full of units ready to sew into bloxks, all mixed, drawing from the mix without matchy matchy .. the blocks you see to the left are the pieces Icut out of the 'throw away" stuff.. then next are some pieces ready to sew togther, and then there are bloxks already made and square, and they are squaring perfectly at 4.5" WOOO HOOO.. I see a quilt coming up!
    If you can't see it riding by on a fast horse - it ain't there.

Re: stashbusting again

Oooh! I love the scrappy BRIGHTNESS of the blocks you have started!! What a great idea! Waste not, want....MORE fabric.

Can't wait to see it as it progresses.

Comment

Oooh, how pretty are those fabrics! I like how you paired them with the whites to show off their colors.
      Be who you are and say what you feel
      because those who mind don't matter,
      and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

Thank you. a funny thng about the Freebie colors, I am having so much fun with the whole thing, and those little color blocks would not have been possible if I had had to buy all those colors and prints! Yesterday I went to my local Joanns and got 6 different WOW's, on sale, and now have a really good mix of those as well. Actual cash in the project is probably around $10-12. I have backing coming out my ears - freebies, someone moved!
        I have this cool little ruler I'm using to square up - it's 2.5"x6.5" .. the 1/4 marks line up on the seams and the little grippers all over the back hold everything tight.. yes, I am having fun

Comment

hi looks great, but i want to see this ruler. can you post a photo of it. tools... umm. better than ice cream.. ( no gas) all the best gina from mpls.
          all the best
          Gina

Comment

The pictures aren't the best...
            Mine happens to have advertising for the shop where i bought it for $3.00 .

Comment

I love the colors too and the scavenge style fabric accumulation Free fabric is always a HUGE bonus! Go Vader And I like your ruler :P very nice!
              To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

pretty cool ruler!! I use the clear medical tape on my rulers to give them grip.....I wish they came with some non-slip on them already...would make it soooo much easier..
                Michele

Comment

hey ... i wonder if glue gun stuff would work??? like apply a gob then let it dry... it is kind rubbery.
                  all the best Gina from mpls
                  all the best
                  Gina

Comment

Omnigrid makes some stuff called Invisigrip. It works like the window clings, but better. It is completely clear, you cut it to fit 1/4" smaller than your ruler, and adhere to the uder side. No blind spots from sandpaper dots, it is completely flat, so your ruler won't teeter-totter while you are cutting. I can still move my ruler over the fabric to make the next cut, and if it starts to get less than grippy from all of the fabric that I cut, I just wipe it with a damp rag and let it dry. You can also use it on your acrylic templates (I haven't done those yet). I liked it because there is no adhesive involved, so I won't end up with weird stuff on my fabric after I have used it for awhile and it doesn't shift. I have had this stuff on my rulers for about 3 years now and have been really happy with it. It was 12 1/2" by 36" and I still have quite a bit of it left.
                    Be who you are and say what you feel
                    because those who mind don't matter,
                    and those who matter don't mind. - Dr. Seuss

http://www.toggpine.wordpress.com

Comment

i must get me some!
                      Gina from mpls
                      all the best
                      Gina

Comment

Thank you for that tip - I have that little OnmiGrip ruler with the grippy stuff.. adn I LOVE it, I'm making cuts over a seam and have to keep it lined up perfectly - my hands are arthritic and soemtimes hey dont do quite what I need like typing, sometimes my spelling looks like I can't read either!!!
                        I live near Soft Expressions, I will check there for the Onmi Grip stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by toggpine
                          Omnigrid makes some stuff called Invisigrip. It works like the window clings, but better. It is completely clear, you cut it to fit 1/4" smaller than your ruler, and adhere to the uder side. No blind spots from sandpaper dots, it is completely flat, so your ruler won't teeter-totter while you are cutting. I can still move my ruler over the fabric to make the next cut, and if it starts to get less than grippy from all of the fabric that I cut, I just wipe it with a damp rag and let it dry. You can also use it on your acrylic templates (I haven't done those yet). I liked it because there is no adhesive involved, so I won't end up with weird stuff on my fabric after I have used it for awhile and it doesn't shift. I have had this stuff on my rulers for about 3 years now and have been really happy with it. It was 12 1/2" by 36" and I still have quite a bit of it left.

I'll have to find this and give it a try......thanks!
                          Michele

Comment

Originally posted by Quilt Vader
                            Yesterday I went to my local Joanns and got 6 different WOW's, on sale,
                            What's a WOW?
                            There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

WOW is White On White.. BOW is Black on White.. WOB is ... yep .. White On Black.
                              The pieces I got were white prints on white background. Right now I am working with a Black on White fabric, making a Stack N Whack in the LeMoyne Star pattern .. I cut 20 diamonds from strips that are 8 layers thick and each is pattern matched all the way thru exactly, and then had to choose which end of the point would be center.. I will get a picture later and show you

Comment

Working...
                              X