Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bag for Accessories

Sew,

Hello everyone here I am again, breaking another "first" first time at trying my hand at quilting and first time writing posts on a forum - that has never appealed to me in the past.

My daughter is marrying in July 2014 and after a few years of sewing inactivity I have offered to make the favours, so I thought I ought to refresh my sewing skills and started with the attached. Hopefully in the picture you can see a scissor holder and the small item is a needle holder. These are from a project section in "The Sewing Book" by Alison Smith. I treated myself to a new sewing machine in March, which incidentally also came with some quilting attachments (at the time I thought "well never gonna use that")

The third item is a bag made from memory, of a 1950s bag which my mother gave me some 35 years ago that I kept embroidery silks in for projects; which despite hunting high and low for, I just can’t seem to find. As we will be away from home for the wedding, I plan to use this as my “emergency kit bag” – safety pins, needles, needle threaders, thread, extra snap fasteners, scissors, pins . . . I was making this up as I was going along and didn’t quite think it through properly (how hard could it be right? - I'm sure you will spot the error,) so the second one (the tape measure) is the improved version. There is a little quilting on the "harlequin" fabric just on the diagonal black lines and also on the "tape measure" fabric - just three lines of stitching on each side leaving a middle portion with none.

I'm sure that many of you experienced sewers will see how easy this is to do, but if I can manage to, i'll put the instructions up in "my notes" - not entirely sure if that would need to be linked here
    SewingKit.jpgSewingBag2.jpg

Re: Bag for Accessories

These are great. Love that harlequin fabric.

Mazzer

Comment

I like them all too, espescially the scissor holder!

Comment

Darling! What a great idea

Comment

These are lovely, especially the harlequin one, I think they'd make great Christmas presents.

Comment

I love your little bags and scissors holder! Great job
            Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

Now that we've seen your creativity, share with us what you're making for favors. Would love to get ideas for future weddings.
              Diane Gulick
              Proud Grandma of 7 grandchildren and wife to the most wonderful husband ever.

Comment

Welcome to the forum and your work is wonderful. The scissors holder is just great.
                Lisa

Please treat others as you would hope others would treat those you love.

[/COLOR]

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Love your projects!
                  Lisa

M*QC forum is full of the best people!

I'm not just buying fabric, I am supporting the economy...

A bad day in the sewing room is better than a good day at the office.

Comment

Very cute. I love the little bags.
                    Shirley :icon_bigsmile:

Comment

Welcome to the forum! Great ideas and the bags and scissor holder are precious. Look forward to seeing what else your creative mind is going to come up with!
                      Gerri

Life may not be the party we hoped for, but while we are here we might as well dance.

Comment

Love both of the bags. One looks like stained glass. A clever idea.

Comment

Originally posted by grandma of 6 View Post
                          Now that we've seen your creativity, share with us what you're making for favors. Would love to get ideas for future weddings.
                          Hello there, thank you for your kind comments and so too to everyone who has wished me well on my new "skills training"

The favours: well as a one-off item not too daunting but having to make about 60? Here is (hopefully) a picture of my "dummy run" favour. The real ones will be in royal blue satin with satin or organza ribbon ties and each peak will have beads. The favours for the bridal party will be in royal blue dupion silk, lined with silver satin and the bridesmaids will have larger one made of silver dupion silk (for lipsticks, cell phones etc) This has again been taken from "The Sewing Book"

DummyBag.jpg SampleBeading.jpg

Comment

Working...
                          X