I finally made a tote!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally made a tote!

After looking at all the cute totes you guys have been working on, I decided to make one today. It was alot of fun, it went very quick. Of course I learned a few things:
    1. I always forget to figure in seams--so my bag ended up smaller than I wanted--It was going to be a gym tote--but too small--so it's just a tote.

2. Put stabilizer in the handles--they were flimsy so the stitching was an after thought. I thought it might make them a little stiffer--if helped, but stabilizer was needed.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased with it.

Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Re: I finally made a tote!

It is absolutely gorgeous! The colors are so sunny and bright (it's a blizzard here today so the colors look especially wonderful )
    I am a beginner and have made plenty of mistakes. It's how I seem to learn the best!
    Now - on to the next one!
    Mary :icon_hi:

Love is the thread that mends worn hearts.

Comment

What a great looking tote! Good job!
      There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Wow! I love it! So pretty!!

Comment

very pretty. i made one too and thought next time i will use stabilizer in the handles they were to flimsy. also on the tutorial on the table blog. is that what you used. it says to do the button latch the same way as the handles. how wide did you make the button latch? I didn't think it should be as wide as the handles
          Patrice

Comment

I cut the handles 5" and the button latch 2.5". I really wanted the handles to be a little wider. One of the tutorials I looked at called for fusible fleece. I've never heard of it. Might look for it the next time I go to Joann's.
            Lisa

"Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life and attend to your own business and work with your hands...." 1 Thessalonians 4:11

Comment

Fantastic - so quick to make, so functional, beautiful colors. Spring, hurry up!! Now that you know how to make it you can enlarge and enlarge. My sister recently made a duffle-bag sized one to take on trips - it's about 2 foot long and about 1 foot square with a zipper in the top. Enough space for a week-end away from home.
              Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
              it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

I am ashamed to say I have not put a zipper in anything since I made a skirt in HomeEc in the 1972. I don't know why, but I am scared to death of zippers. I think it's time to overcome my fear.
                Lisa

Comment

So bright and spring-like! it's beautiful.
                  “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

So bright and springy. I love it.
                    Elaine:icon_wave:

Comment

A lovely spring tote!!! really spring colors after!

Thanks for sharing, it gave me an idea!

greetings from G.D.of Luxembourg
                      sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Originally posted by mamaquilt View Post
                        A lovely spring tote!!! really spring colors after!

Thanks for sharing, it gave me an idea!

greetings from G.D.of Luxembourg
                        really spring colors after such a dreadful winter, that's the whole intended sentence
                        sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

You did an AWEsome job on your tote.....I love it!!

Comment

Originally posted by lhayes1976 View Post
                            I cut the handles 5" and the button latch 2.5". I really wanted the handles to be a little wider. One of the tutorials I looked at called for fusible fleece. I've never heard of it. Might look for it the next time I go to Joann's.
                            Have you ever used the 1 1/2 " webbing in the handles? Works great ! You can buy it at Joann's by the yard. Comes in basic colors and very reasonibley priced. Quilting in Illinois

Comment

Your tote is adorable! Good job. You said it took one day? nice. Congratulations, Hugs, Jan L
                              Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Working...
                              X