MSQC Tutorial Quilt (in progress)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MSQC Tutorial Quilt (in progress)

Using Jenny's tutorial (Lila Tuler "Eden") with a charm pack and jelly roll of Moda's Lilac Hill, I made 40 blocks this weekend...

For some unknown reason, the charm pack had 42 squares but the jelly roll only had 40 strips.....

When the Lilac Hill yardage is available, I'll select two different prints (undecided yet) and use some of the border fabrics to sash the orphan blocks so I can do the 6x7 layout as Jenny demonstrated.

Today, I sewed together the previously cut jelly roll strips, then sliced-and-diced 'em for a pieced inner border.

You know you've had too much coffee when you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

The Adventures of the Empress of the Universe... or how I learned to quilt on the internet!

Re: MSQC Tutorial Quilt (in progress)

I love this quilt pattern. It looks like you are doing a great job and having fun with it.
    Some charm packs have a few more or less pieces than others, but what a great idea to
    even it out when yardage is available.
    Your pieced border sections look great too, and you are so ready to finish this quilt!
    Do you have any idea how you are going to quilt it?
    Great job
    Lola
    :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

It will be quilted by checkbook.... my Bernina 1230 has a very short arm (7.25") and woman-handling that much fabric into and thru that small space is next to impossible with a quilt this size.
      You know you've had too much coffee when you can thread a sewing machine while it's running.

The Adventures of the Empress of the Universe... or how I learned to quilt on the internet!

Comment

To funny Freda. By checkbook, that's a good one and oh so true. I love your color choices, they are perfect. Congratulations, Hugs, Jan L
        Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

I purchased Jennys program this weekend and just started that same quilt using kansas trouble favorite line. Im halfway done with my squares. I cant believe how fast it goes. Didn't she do an awesome job showing how to do it?

Comment

Originally posted by johnsonshouse4 View Post
            I purchased Jennys program this weekend and just started that same quilt using kansas trouble favorite line. Im halfway done with my squares. I cant believe how fast it goes. Didn't she do an awesome job showing how to do it?
            Thanks for the idea. I have about 12 charm packs of Kansas Troubles 'favorites' and this pattern is great for them. I have tried my best to purchase complimentary pieces (either jelly rolls and/or yardage) when I find a particular design I like - and almost NEVER have an idea in mind for the pattern I'll use to make the actual quilt.

Kansas Troubles, HERE I COME>
            Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
            it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

that is beautiful!
              Patrice

Comment

I love that fabric! Very pretty, it's going to be a beautiful quilt
                I purchased the Sympoz tutorials, they are so worth the money. I hope they make more.

Comment

this is coming along very nicely... i LOVE quilts that use up the whole family of color and print.. i keep buying charm packs for that reason... hoping to be able to use some of the "wall" of fabrics i already have... thanks for sharing this one... it's on my list to try for sure... bj
                  "Each day well-lived and Happy;
                  that's all there is to Life!"

Comment

Your blocks are great and it's going to be a gorgeous quilt!
                    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Thanks for your kind words, ladies! I'm enjoying walking by the bed full o' quilt blocks and admiring all the lovely fabrics and colors.

The blocks are so easy to do... esp with the precuts... and the pattern showcases the prints.

When it comes to the quilting part, I'll see what new pantos my LA quilter has and then decide... it'll be an all over design tho... hard to decide without seeing the quilt top next to the panto...

Comment

Freda, your blocks are very pretty. I wish there were more hours in the day or that there were 2 of me so I could sew more patterns. Thanks for showing us your project.

Comment

Freda---a question from a newbie--I purchased precuts to do this pattern, but I am stuck. When you chose 2 fabrics to go together, then did you use the other way around on the other block. Does that make sense? If you chose a purple print and a yellow around the edge---then on the other block did you use the yellow inside and the same purple around the edge or did you totally mix them so that no two are the same? Just wondering-----haven't started mine and just need some input! Thanks! SuzyQue

Comment

Wow! Gorgeous.

Comment

Originally posted by SuzyQue View Post
                              Freda---a question from a newbie--I purchased precuts to do this pattern, but I am stuck. When you chose 2 fabrics to go together, then did you use the other way around on the other block. Does that make sense? If you chose a purple print and a yellow around the edge---then on the other block did you use the yellow inside and the same purple around the edge or did you totally mix them so that no two are the same? Just wondering-----haven't started mine and just need some input! Thanks! SuzyQue

Hi, SuzyQue!

I just mixed up the fabrics so no two are the same.... say if a purple print charm square was sashed with a green border.... then the green charm square had a different border. I thought that worked better to a more random look.

Of course, there's no reason why you can't do it any way you think best...

Be sure to post photos of your quilt top... I would love to see it!

Comment

Working...
                              X