Grandmother's Flower Garden inheritance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grandmother's Flower Garden inheritance

Just had to share this with all of you :-).

Back in October my mother gave me an early part of my inheritance - a quilt made by my Great Grandmother Lorena. She was a young mother during the Depression in Louisville, KY. She didn't sign or label it in any way - something I'm also guilty of on many projects. I've learned my lesson! How much I would have treasured a word or two from a long ago quilter, a Great Grandmother who'd shared my love of sewing. Our family does know she made it so I guess I'll have to make sure that whoever gets it from me knows all about her.

Oh well, the quilt itself is just beautiful, but has some areas where the hexagons have begun to rot away.
    Attached Files
    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Re: Grandmother's Flower Garden inheritance

deb, Wow, what a beautiful gift you have been given, and such a sentimental treasure.
    That binding is impeccable, as is all of the stitching on the quilt.
    I just know the comfort that quilt is going to give you.
    Lola
    :icon_wave: http://s178.photobucket.com/albums/w278/josews_photos/

Comment

Beautiful!
      “What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world, is and remains immortal.”

― Albert Pine

Comment

What a treasure you have there. And your grandmother sure was a beautiful young woman. Isn't it neat to envision her working on that quilt?

Hugs,
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/quiltsbytrish
        http://quiltdreaming.blogspot.com
        http://pinterest.com/TrishLapp

What if you woke up today and the only things you had were the things you thanked God for yesterday? :icon_hug:quilting trish

Comment

That is so special! Have you checked into ways to preserve &/or repair it without ruining it's uniqueness/value?
          I would love to know how to do that myself...& to keep it from worse damage. I watched an episode of Simply Quilts some time ago that covered preserving & maintaining vintage quilts, but do you think I could remember any of it? Be nice now...
          Last edited by plix; January 22, 2011, 04:39 PM.
          If at first you DO succeed, try not to look so surprised.

Comment

The quilting on this quilt is exquisite. What a gift from a relative! Congratulations. Hugs, Jan L.
            Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Wow, that is beautiful! I'm so happy that are able to have this...it's so special, especially with your shared love of sewing. Thanks for sharing!
              Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
              Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

Deb, this is such a lovely work of art. I can see you have inherited your grandmother's talent and determination. It is a treasure for sure. So happy you were gifted with it!!!!!!!!!!
                Sewing mends the soul.
                sigpic

Do the math; count your blessings
                Laughing is good exercise. It's like jogging on the inside.

http://pinterest.com/vintageprims/boards/ Unless we are creating we are not fully alive
                ~ Madeleine L'Engle

Comment

this is beautiful. i have one my mother did when she was eleven. i need to quilt it
                  Patrice

Comment

How gorgeous. I'd love to know a simple way to do hexagons - I really think those are my favorite quilting techniques/designs. I'll just stick to crazy quilting though.

What a cherished present.
                    Sometimes, when there's a raging fire,
                    it's best not to try to put it out with gasoline.

"...pal carajo con la negatividad..."

Comment

That's a beautiful quilt! To me from looking at how the colors aren't all faded in the pictures, the quilt has been well cared for even with some of the fabric deteriorating. I think that just comes from the 'loving' part. Congrats on such a treasure!
                      Shelia

Comment

Since it has nothing with her signature, I would hand or machine embroider on a separate piece of fabric who made it and the year it was made or the years your grandmother lived. I would hand sew it onto the back of the quilt. That way, it won't ever lose it's identity as you pass it down.
                        Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

Wow, a lot of work went into making this beautiful quilt!!! You're one lucky gal to inherit it!!!
                          Goodbye Europe! Hello California! Home sweet home.

Comment

how beautiful!! so lucky to have such a treasured quilt...
                            Michele

Comment

Originally posted by debinmalaga View Post
                              Just had to share this with all of you :-).

Back in October my mother gave me an early part of my inheritance - a quilt made by my Great Grandmother Lorena. She was a young mother during the Depression in Louisville, KY. She didn't sign or label it in any way - something I'm also guilty of on many projects. I've learned my lesson! How much I would have treasured a word or two from a long ago quilter, a Great Grandmother who'd shared my love of sewing. Our family does know she made it so I guess I'll have to make sure that whoever gets it from me knows all about her.

Oh well, the quilt itself is just beautiful, but has some areas where the hexagons have begun to rot away.
                              That sure is an inheritance you'll have to treasure. It is just "superpe"!!!!
                              sigpicgreetings from the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg

Michèle

Comment

Working...
                              X