my 2nd quilt top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my 2nd quilt top

I made this quilt top some time ago and would love to machine quilt this but im afraid to. I've never machine quilted...only hand quilted a bar quilt in an adult ed class i took over a year ago!!!. I hope to get the nerve to complete it this year.
    Attached Files

Re: my 2nd quilt top

It is gorgeous! I understand completely your fear! I am a beginner, but as I thought about it today, I thought I would make some potholders and such little things as I learn to quilt. Then I will try something more elaborate. Could you possibly pick what you would quilt on it, and practice on little things first.
    I know there are pros that will help you - but that is all I could think of doing to overcome my fear.
    I love the quilt piece though. Debi

Comment

Your quilt is beautiful. I too hesitate to machine quilt anything as large as a bed sized quilt. I have taken a hand quilting class and am using it to do pre-printed wholecloth 16x16 inches and I am going to make pillows out of those. I'm pretty new to quilting too. There are shops that teach you how to use the big longarms and then rent out time on the machines so you can quilt the bigger quilts yourself. I'm also handquilting a wall hanging for my husband. Good luck with your quilt it will be stunning when it is done.
      Home, where each lives for the others and all live for God! ><(((((o>

Comment

Beautiful quilt

Comment

Your quilt is stunning. I have no advice for how to quilt this beautiful piece. I myself have only done the simple stitch in the ditch type quilting.

Comment

very beautiful. Practice on smaller things. I feel the same way. I love hand quilting but it just takes to long. My new years resolution was to quilt some of these tops on the machine so I can get ahead. I have done two so far and very happy with the results. I still need practice on the free motion before I put a big one on there. I have a king size that Im going to do in three sections as soon as I feel comfortable with the free motion
            Patrice

Comment

Your quilt top is beautiful and will be even more stunning once it's quilted. I agree with Patrice, practice on other things and once you have some confidence in how your machine quilts then go for it!
              Patti
              "Like" me on Facebook @ Sweet Cherry Quilting to help spread the love of all things crafty and quilted!

Comment

I made this wall hanging a few years ago. And I machine quilted it. I did straight line quilting forming diamonds on the main part of the piece and long diamonds on the border. It is one of my favourite Christmas pieces.

Comment

Very pretty!!! I am going to agree with the others and advise you to quilt a few smaller projects to get a feel for it then jump right in!!! You could also do straight line quilting and just do the outlines of the shapes...ie the bow and the wreath and the border.....that way it's still nicely quilted, but straight lines are so much easier to do!
                  Michele

Comment

Really beautiful!!
                    There's still time to change the road you're on - Led Zeppelin, "Stairway to Heaven"

Comment

Beautiful!

Comment

thank you for all your kind comments and great advice! i definitely need to and will definitely practice before i tackle quilting this.

hi nannykins! i love this pattern too, i think that's part of my fear...I dont want to ruin it!

Here's the link for the pattern, if anyone is interested (it's FREE) : http://www.mccallsquilting.com/patte...html?idx=13202
                        Last edited by mnmsmom; January 13, 2011, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Verry pretty. I can't wait to see the finished product.
                          sigpic www.seejaysnotes.blogspot.com

Comment

So pretty! Thanks for pattern link, too. Can't wait to see it when you've finished it all.
                            Come by and see what I'm up to on my blog...
                            Summer Lee Quilts

Comment

Working...
                            X