• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blondie
    replied
    Re: Just a few of some previous projects

Good Morning, Sandy
    Your pics are fantastic. The crazy quilt is my fav although who wouldn't admire and lust over hand applique! After reading your story, and then E's india ink, well, it amazes me that any of our ancestor's had anything survive!
    I also like the tissue holders. I have made aplenty of those for the senior center I make lap quilts for. I have never made them with tabs. I am sure there is a reason for those? Inquiring minds would like to know if I should add them!

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

Originally posted by newbiequilter View Post
    suggestions for shortening the task of cutting the ties apart and getting them ready to use? I have a bunch of my dad's ties and over the years I thought I'd make a vest or a pillow but I'd really like a crazy tie quilt. But when I sit down with two or three ties to take apart it takes too long and I end up with all these parts, the lining, the tag, the outer fabric. So, any suggestions?
    Pat - I started my necktie quilt about 25 years ago and finished it only about 10 years ago . . . most of the ties I worked with had a chain stitch and if you find the end you can just pull the thread out. I agree, there are parts and parts and parts. I saved the tags and used them for taggie blankets - before I ever heard of them. The linings I used for many other things. I did some free-form weaving projects - the only one I still have is similar to a dream-catcher and is made on a hulu-hoop. The lining was used for another patchwork quilt. Larger pieces were made into a necktie skirt . . . hardly anything went to waste.

When I began hatching the idea of moving my sewing room I packaged all my necktie remnants in plastic shopping bags, anticipating donating them to a local thrift store. Then one day my dear SIL showed up with two huge boxes of mens' neckties and I pulled my four huge shopping bags back from the donation pile and they are secreted away for another project.

Maybe the granddaughters would like to make a patch work Just thinking out loud.

Leave a comment:

• RFREE
    replied

I like them all. But I like the white one the best. Very pretty.

Leave a comment:

• newbiequilter
    replied

Sandy,

I love your crazy quilt and always enjoy seeing them at shows. Do you, or anyone else, have suggestions for shortening the task of cutting the ties apart and getting them ready to use? I have a bunch of my dad's ties and over the years I thought I'd make a vest or a pillow but I'd really like a crazy tie quilt. But when I sit down with two or three ties to take apart it takes too long and I end up with all these parts, the lining, the tag, the outer fabric. So, any suggestions?

Pat

Leave a comment:

• shell.scraps
    replied

Very nice. Thanks for sharing!! Love the story about the focus fairy!!

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

Originally posted by debinmalaga View Post
    Sandy, thanks for sharing your projects, they are all beautiful but I especially love the doll :-).
    There's a story behind the doll - Two of my granddaughters were taking piano lessons from a wonderful lady. A friend of theirs was also taking lessons from the same lady. The friend was always being told by the piano teacher to "FOCUS". And my DGDs thought this was funny since they were never told they needed to FOCUS. So, "Fancy the Focus Fairy" was born. The doll now sits on the teacher's piano to remind her students that when they sit to play they need to quit squirming and concentrate on their playing.

Leave a comment:

• Onetiredmomma
    replied

Everything is so pretty.

Leave a comment:

• EsGrandma
    replied

Hi Sandy, Thanks for sharing. Your story reminded me of a quilt that I worked on with my daughter's great=grandmother. Well, when it was finally done, my daughter managed to spill india ink on it - of course, the quilt was history!

Leave a comment:

• debinmalaga
    replied

Sandy, thanks for sharing your projects, they are all beautiful but I especially love the doll :-).

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    replied

Originally posted by Carol_Ann View Post
    Hi, Sandy !
    I am in love with the quilt you made for Amanda. It is stunning. Hand appliqued? WOW !!
    That's the quilt she ruined within a few days of receiving it. She snuck Thera-Putty into her bedroom late one night and the dye in the putty stained the quilt - of course she got it ALL over. We consulted cleaners, tried washing - you can't imagine what we tried to clean it but no luck. I will probably never do a hand appliqued/quilted piece again.

Leave a comment:

• Carol_Ann
    replied

Hi, Sandy !
    I am in love with the quilt you made for Amanda. It is stunning. Hand appliqued? WOW !!

Leave a comment:

• quiltingtrish
    replied

Those 2 quilts are gorgeous! I've done small hand applique projects but someday I'm going to do a bedsize one. Love your doll - her shoes are so cute too! And the tissue holders - pretty colors.

Hugs,

Leave a comment:

• SuzyQue
    replied

I , too, love the hand-appliqued quilt! The neck tie crazy patch is pretty with all those colors, too! Thanks for sharing! Love the pics.
    SuzyQue

Leave a comment:

• Patrice
    replied

verynice! love the white one

Leave a comment:

• Sandy Navas
    started a topic Just a few of some previous projects

Just a few of some previous projects

Thought I'd share a couple photos of some things I've done in the past.

1Necktie quilt - 2005.JPGAmanda's Hand Appliq Quilt 2000.jpgFancy the Focus Fairy.JPGIn the hoop tissue holders.JPG
Working...
X