Oliver Twist Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oliver Twist Quilt

Every so often some blocks come along in our sewing that makes us look at them and say well... "Come with me... your bed is under the counter. You don't mind sleeping among the scraps, I suppose? But it doesn't much matter, for you can't sleep anywhere else." Such is the influence which the condition of our own thoughts, exercise, even over the appearance of external objects.

But sometimes to do a great right you have to do a little wrong; and you may take any measurements which the end to be attained is quilted. And joyous will be the poor little orphans once crooked in their ways or ugly in their countenance; given new life in a quilt dedicated to them. Meanwhile let the tears which fell, and the broken blocks which laid under the counter in long close embrace between orphans be sacred.

Okay perhaps a bit of a dramatic way of saying "Hey we raided my orphanage of quilt blocks and this is what we came up with whatcha think?" 🤣

20220427_144224.jpg

That's some fancy talkin' for fancy stitchin'
    Katrina
    From NC, retired in FL
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Very creative narrative…lol….and very creative use of of orphans….great job…
      "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Your orphans have become a lovely family!! lol.... pretty quilt!
        Maria
        From Sunny Alberta, Canada

Comment

Orphan blocks make some of the most interesting quilts. Just wait and see what Teen is going to do with all those blocks (that are really orphans at this point) and when they come together Jim will know that his mothers quilting family embraced him. BTW...I do love your narrative and your quilt
          success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiam
          Terry of NC

Comment

That is wonderful to pass along some wee orphans. My mom and I have been planning to go through the orphanage for a while and there's probably about 5-6 more quilts worth of blocks wasting away in there. We have pretty poor math skills it seems and nearly every quilt we make ends up with another cast off little orphan. Some quilts more than others lol. I swear we have enough block leavings from 2 other quilts to easily make them over again. So hopefully a few more to orphan quilts to come and a few less orphans being made.

Comment

Lovely orphans nonetheless.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Nice little story to go along with your collection of blocks.
                Karen
                Spring, TX

Comment

What a great group of orphans that went together to make a whole quilt! You should be a writer. Nice narrative to go with a beautiful quilt!

Comment

I did have a bit of help from Charles Dickens with the narrative. And I did get an English degree thinking I wanted to be a writer and then quickly realized I'm far too distractable to write a whole book lol. As kind of proven by then getting degrees in history, education, modern foreign languages, communication, psychology, and chemistry for associate degrees and a near completion of a BA in psychology. I was getting ready to switch BA to geology but a truck put an ubrupt stop to my car and college attendance and MS finished the job lol.

Professors were funny though because I almost always had a handicraft I was working on: crochet anigumi, knitted scarfs, cross-stitch, embroidery, tatting, ect... and they would encourage me to open my own business and sell them lol. Quilting though is something that has held my attention for a while with no signs of it waning.

Comment

Your quilt is amazing and so pretty. I did not know you have so many college degrees,my goodness where did you ever find time to quilt!!

Comment

The degrees were obtained before quilting really took over. I broke my back when I was 25 (spontaneous breaking lol from the, then undiagnosed MS) took about a year and a half to recover to a certain extent but was told basically never to lift over 25lbs since I was a poor candidate for surgery. Frankly I'll still take the weight restrictions over the horror stories I've heard from people with pins or fusions lol.

Comment

Your orphan blocks look great, very creative.
                          Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Comment

Great job!!

Retha

Comment

Working...
                            X