Baby Quilt - Warm Wishes(et al)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baby Quilt - Warm Wishes(et al)

This is the quilt I just made for the new grandbaby of my neighbor.
    I did show and tell at my church guild, the Piecemakers, one of the gals really liked the simple pattern, a lot.
    She asked if we could use it for our summer charity project . We are making 25 nappie's in this pattern for Mercy House ministries in our area who will be using them for pre-school and kindergarden children. The ones we are doing are 36X48 , some of them will be longarmed, some done on h ome machine, and some may be tied .. but we will get them ready. Our leader for this project made up kits, numbered for sign-out, of pre-cut and coordinated fabrics... it's a great way to clean out stash, practice rotary cutting and do good - all at the same time!
    If you can't see it riding by on a fast horse - it ain't there.

Re: Baby Quilt - Warm Wishes(et al)

looks great!! and easy (my personal favorite)..and how wonderful that you are going to make them for your church ministry. I wanted to offer a word of warning though...the charities that we do blankets/quilts for will not accept anything that has ties...it's an injury liability...they will only take hand/machine quilting. I would check and make sure that they will accept them with the ties rather than quilting....

Thanks so much for sharing your beautiful quilt....please share with us the fabrics that you used to make it...
    Michele

Comment

Thanks for the compliment - and the heads up. I 'think' that we got clearance for the sewn down type ties.. I will verify that. The Smiley faced Flowers and butterflies and bees is from Blank Testiles (#5482) As is the golden yellow with light yellow spots and little white dottys. The green vines and leaves on light blue is actually from Bunny's Day Out, Wilmington Prints, and was meant to go with the Bunny panel I bought for a different project! The blue is some old lovely thing from stash but is a wonderful color with a sort of feathery print. It seemed Just Made for this project. The backing is a GORGEOUS white on white that is just exquisite - feels like it should be dainty lingerie .. the little print is maybe a flower, or lips, or perhaps hoof prints .. I can't tell !! But it's so sweet you want to just huggle it. There is a strip of blocks along one back edge, to carry the colors over, the label is inset there and the gramma wrote on it. I used a med-hi loft poly mix batting - they live where it is hot and humid all summer .. I thought something airy to wick the heat away and something soft to offer comfort would be the best - also I didn't do a lot of quilting on it .. mainly around the blocks and border. It's more of a very light weight comforter.
      Gee - do you think I'm proud of it??

Comment

I reallylike your choice of fabrics. Very pretty quilt. I would be very proud too! It is so nice that you are sharing it with your ministry. The quilts will go to a good cause.

Niki

Comment

BEAUTIFUL..............need I say more??!!!!!
          sigpic www.seejaysnotes.blogspot.com

Comment

Really fantastic job Quilt Vader!! I'm already playing with the pattern in my head 8-) I love a new idea The colors play off eachother really well!

Good luck getting the rest of those quilt's done! I hope you have lots of help, and maybe convert a few new quilters! Everyone should have the chance right!
            To stitch or not to stitch... There is no question.

Comment

oooh!! I like it! I think I have the perfect fabric to make a quilt like this.....hmmm, thanks for the new idea. (the visuals always help me!!) I will have to see what I come up with!! Maybe I will post some pics as well!

Comment

You all are so sweet. I appreciate the warm comments. To make it easy - I'd like to give you the measurements I used. I recommend SCANT 1/4 in seams as the reail bloxks need to be ethe same size as the focus blocks, easier to sllim off a bit than try to stretch on a bit! Very simply .. cut the focus fabric in 61/2 " strips WOF, cut into squares of 61/2"; choose 3 accent fabrics and cut in 2 1/2 in strips WOF .. choose one for center and keep it the same all the time .. sew 1 of each of the strips together, - you should have 61/2" wide strips now.. square one end and make 61/2" blocks .. ( save the end piece to put in the backing - makes a nice strip along one side.. or even some smaller blocks )
                The important step is here: be sure to lay it out before you start sewing so you get the accent colors around the focus blocks so it looks like a frame .. I work horizontally and then sew the rows together, 1st row starts with a focus OR accent, 2nd row starts with opposite .. 3rd row like the first.. be consistent in the way you press your seams. The rail blocks must be oriented before you sew!!!
                The corners can be sewn into wonderful points if you make sure to nestle the seams each block and row. I think it looks better if the rows are uneven in quatity , ie; 5x7, or 7x9 or more or less!! IT's fun, and can be bordered as many times as you like.
                If you want to make it a bit bigger, a 2 " inner border looks good, and I suggest you use the middle rail accent color for that. Quilting is simple also, SID around the blocks or diagonal rows of stitching cutting through the blocks. I like the focus block print for the binding, but it doesn't really matter as long as YOU like how it looks. Have fun ..
                I hope we see s ome pictures soon.

Comment

Thanks for all the info! This looks like a fun and simple quilt! I will have to add it to my "must make" list!

Comment

Love that quilt, the fabrics are really nice.

Comment

I really like how the rails frame the focal fabric. I have made rail quilts before, but I never thought of putting a focal fabric in the quilts as you have done here. I like that the rail quilts are so fast and easy. This is probably faster because of the solid blocks. I bet this pattern would look wonderful for a holiday quilt.

I HAVE to show this to my 13-year-old daughter. She is a big fan of the rails too. She always complains that 2 of the rail fabrics follow a staircase pattern, but one of the fabrics is just kinda there. I think she will be impressed with this because the solid blocks just kinda tie it all in.

I'll bet this will be the next quilt that her and I make together. Thanks for sharing!
                      My user name is FunkiQuilter, but you can call me Funki for short. (Pronounced Funky.) I inherited the name from my cousin because of my love for unusual things.

Comment

Funki - there aren't many fabric that wouldn't work with this very simple pattern .. the keyi s making sure the outsides of all the rail blocks are the same - ie., yellow on one end green on the other.. and you can make those rails as wide, narrow , many as pleases you! .. MOST directional fabrics do look better if keeping them all going the same way .. but again... it's YOUR quilt .. the only quilt police around are in yor head.. and those who thnk they have that position need to get a big smile and say "Oh I really appreciate your input .. it must be nice to have quilts that are perfect." this is pretty much the same as saying 'kiss my grits'..
                        I hope when yo start one you let us all share in the fun of it with you
                        (PS..this is not new..but refer to my signature line. I actually asked a lady how slow was her horse walking for petes sake " and she had the decency to be emabarrassed and laugh. I have used it ever since. BTW it didn't need to be very slow really to see it was a beginning effort LOL)

Comment

Vader- This quilt design is one that I will make with my daughter. This will only be her second quilt and I thought of it as wonderful beginner pattern for her. She has only made a 6X6 solid block pattern (her favorite) before. This would expand her knowledge into rails without her "but they don't all match" thinking behind it. Ughhhhhhh..... teenagers! (I am going to post pics as soon as she gets the binding on.)

She loved the rail quilts that I have made and showed her, but she always says "but they don't all match" to that one piece of fabric that doesn't follow the staircase pattern. You would think she was the quilt police. She is much more critical of her own work then I am of mine.

I showed her this one and she said that she wanted to try to make it. This excites me like you wouldn't believe. :evil: Because, two months ago, she told me that she was never going to make a quilt and she didn't like quilting. Could you imagine how that made me feel? It was like she was speaking to me with profanity. :evil: Glad we got over that!

Even if she wouldn't do a great job on this, I would beat any quilt police to a pulp before she would hear what they had to say. Think of a mother defending her young. I want her to keep quilting now that she has finally started to enjoy it. I think she would do great on it though!

As far as your siggy goes, it doesn't work for me. I would be blinded by riding by on the slowest horse in the world. I am allergic to horses and the first thing that happens is my eyes swell shut. I would have to choose something else to ride by on. Maybe a broomstick. Then I could pull out my magic wand and silence all the insults too.

I like your "kiss my grits" kinda saying there. I am good at making things like that up too. My DD always tells me that she has never heard anyone return an insult as nicely as I do. I told her to take notes. 8-)
                          My user name is FunkiQuilter, but you can call me Funki for short. (Pronounced Funky.) I inherited the name from my cousin because of my love for unusual things.

Comment

Alright, scrap the horse you are excused. Sorry, but broom is taken also, my DD#1 was born Halloween a long long time ago and always refers to any 'ride' as her broom..
                            Not an original :idea: here - but might you gift her a gift certificate from a nearby fabric store so she can choose something she likes for a focus fabric.. that would help you guide her in rail fabrics.
                            OH NO, I just ate 3 cookies for breakfast!!
                            I get to do a class for my friendship group on the 4 stack posie - I need to write up a plan and a prep list for them.. info needs to include how to find and count repeats. I'm excited about it - fun helping new 'piecers' get their skills honed.

Comment

OH NO, I just ate 3 cookies for breakfast!!
                              It's Christmas, it doesn't matter! I took a banana into work for breakfast this morning but dumped it when one of the other ladies brought out a tin of brownies .... mmmmm .... brownies for breakfast.

FunkiQuilter - it's really nice to hear that you're passing on the quilting bug to your daughter. I caught mine from my mother after she made me a beautiful quilt for my birthday.
                              Quilting through the dull times
                              northstarquilting.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                              X