Sharing Our Quilts - Day 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Our Quilts - Day 2

Thank you all for your kind comments on my Day 1 quilts.

Once I started quilting again there was a piece of unfinished business from the early days. Remember I said I had made quilts for my 2 daughters? Well, we have 3 kids. My son patiently waited over 10 years for his quilt. Keeping that in mind, I named it The Elusive Quilt. A couple of years ago he told me, jokingly, if his house was on fire he would run back in to save it. At king size, it’s the largest quilt I’ve ever made. Way too big to quilt it myself, it was beautifully quilted by MSQC.

fullsizeoutput_d73.jpeg

So the grandkid is now 9 and she’s received a few quilts over the years, being our one and only so far. Here are some of the quilts I’ve made for her.

Disappearing Nine Patch and Half Hexi:

IMG_0061.JPG fullsizeoutput_d76.jpeg

An applique and Plus Sign:

fullsizeoutput_c8b.jpeg UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_c58.jpg

This little house quilt is one that we worked on together after the pandemic started. Once we realized she’d be cooped up for a while with remote schooling and unable to see friends, I was looking for a way to help with keeping her occupied. We started a sewing project by mail (we live 600 miles apart). I would stitch up 2 little house blocks, send them to her and it was her job to sew the 2 blocks together. My DD is a quilter and has been teaching DGD to hand sew. In the fall we were able to visit and we stitched the block pairs together (with a little reinforcing the seams, haha) and got it sandwiched; now she’s in the process of hand quilting it.

v7kaxNG6TYmBzkMNNJP1eQ.jpg

See you tomorrow...
    Last edited by chelea; March 5, 2021, 11:31 PM.
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

animated-woman-image-0149.gif
    Lovely quilts =) I am most taken with the first one. It's very calming to look at , and the colors are soothing. The circles are sweet too,

Comment

Beautiful quilts! Love them all...especially your son's, the dots and the houses. Sweet that you are making it together with your granddaughter.
      Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Lovely selection of quilts, I enjoyed seeing them!
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

You're giving your granddaughter a lifetime of such great memories, not to mention quilts, that I'm sure she will pass on herself. Your son's quilt is very beautiful!

Rob
          If you like a fabric, buy a yard. If you LOVE a fabric, buy three!
          Anna Bates
          "Quilt Roadies"

Comment

I love your quilt stories! Such a patient son, but the quilt was definitely worth the wait! And how innovative to do a long distance quilt with your granddaughter! And the house quilt is a wonderful pattern to do this—from your house to hers! And I’ve only made one plus sign quilt but you have inspired me to try another, they are just happy quilts! Great collection today! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I love the applique rounds, looks so cheerful and bright great job on all of your beauties
              Kathryn
              There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Great show today!! Love your quilts. Very well done!!

Comment

That first one was definitely worth the wait. And to save the "quilt" in an emergency... what love he has for it too! I keep hoping that my oldest GD comes back around to sewing again.

Comment

How wonderful are all your quilts❣️It’s so sweet when those who receive quilts, love them sooooo much they’d save them from a fire. What a joy and pleasure you have to sew with your granddaughter 💕 I love how you’re passing your gift onto another generation......and I love all your quilts 🧵❣️🧵💕
                    💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

40 years ago, I bought a box of fabric scraps at a flea market for $2. We had just moved to the mountains and were fairly jobless with a lot of payments to be made and the flea market was our only source of money for several months. Winter was upon us and most of my blankets had holes and were not in good shape, so I set about making squares from my fabric box and sewing them togehter in strips. ( I didn't know about assembling a quilt into blocks) So then I would sew the strips together. The children would hand me one piece after another to sew and at the end of putting together the strips, I put the holey blankets inside the new fabric and backed with old sheets. We made 4 of them out of that box of fabric. The children each have them to this day except for one.
                      After college she was living in an apartment building and the one next to her caught fire. As she ran out of the building she grabbed her quilt and then she saw the family whose appartment was on fire. The little girl had on only a sheer nighty and DD went over and wrapped her up in her quilt. She told me later she didn't mean for her to keep it but keep it she did.
                      So your son has a point...save the quilt!!
                      Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                      Terry

Comment

Lovely quilts. I really like the one you made for your son. I understand the quilting with your granddaughter. I've only made one with my oldest granddaughter when she stayed with us several years ago. And, I remember well all the time spent with my grandmother crafting. It is something you hold in your heart forever.
                        Carlie

Comment

What a great project for you and GD. I think I'd save the Elusive Quilt too. Very lovely.

Comment

Lovely quilts. I really like your son’s quilt. Know what you mean about king size quilts. Just finished my second & vow I’ll never do another. Great idea to involve your granddaughter. I have had no luck getting mine interested.

Comment

Your son's quilt is beautiful. I can see why he said he would save it from a burning fire. I love the story of your 9 year old granddaughter & the building of the quilt from a long distance. She will love that quilt forever. The applique dot quilt caught my eye today. I love the color & open space. Thank you so much for sharing your lovely quilts & stories with us today.

Comment

Working...
                              X