Sharing Our Quilts - Day 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Our Quilts - Day 1

First, let me say thanks to Barb for running the show and inviting me to share my quilts. I was a little hesitant at first because I really didn't think I had much to offer. For the past few years I've tried to keep a scrapbook/quilt journal, so I thought I'd start there, to see what I could pull together. It ended up taking a few days to get organized...but I found I've made a lot more quilts than I originally thought. Here's my quilting story.

My love of sewing started in home economics in junior high. We made dirndl skirts and I can still picture the gray calico fabric I used. I was so excited about sewing that I asked my parents for lessons with our next door neighbor who was an accomplished seamstress. So the lessons were arranged, and it was a big sacrifice for my folks because we didn’t have much money. My sweet teacher, Millie, wouldn’t accept payment for the lessons, telling me to give the money back to my parents so we could save for a sewing machine. So that’s what we did. That 1969 Kenmore work horse is still with me and is still going strong.

As a teen I mainly sewed clothes. As an adult it was mostly mending, costumes for the kids, projects for Scouts and home decor. I learned to quilt in 2000. One of the women I worked with was a quilter and she agreed to teach a group of us to quilt. We’d meet in the cafeteria after work, once a week. We started our first lesson at the quilt shop where she taught us how to select and coordinate fabric and introduced us to our first quilters tools.

The first quilt I made with the group was a log cabin wall hanging using Eleanor Burns Quilt in a Day method. We were all amazed by how quickly our quilts came together. Being newbies, we finished our quilts by tying them.

T2mPxVdpRbGMfLbDqM9EcQ_thumb_1c95.jpg

Then we made 2 sampler quilts. The first was pieced, and then we progressed onto one with applique. I hand quilted the pink/burgundy one. The blue sampler was a flimsy until last year when I decided enough was enough and machine quilted it. Looking back, our instructor did a great job choosing those particular projects to build our skills quickly.

ZnygSPlBRcSb0+HTWVCbYg.jpg 0sxWq4n3QyOd5S34rCvzzg.jpg

I made flannel log cabins for my two daughters for their college dorms. One of the two quilts went to Afghanistan and back with my DD when she was deployed with the Army. Next, I started an appliqué block of the month, and then my career took over. For 7 years I never quilted and that BOM became a UFO.

The birth of our first grandchild was the spark that got me thinking about quilting again. My search for some inspiration led me to Jenny and MSQC. But before starting a new quilt, I was determined to finish up that UFO. It’s an Alex Anderson/HGTV pattern called Strolling the Block and every section has the same little house, changed up to celebrate each month. It was a lot of fun and the perfect project to get me back in the saddle.

yuzRiIloRQiUpsF6qlt%lw.jpg

So these are my "early" quilts. More on my quilt journey tomorrow.
    Last edited by chelea; March 5, 2021, 12:28 AM.
    Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Only one picture showed. Lovely quilt! I did that pattern too as one of my first!! Beautiful quilts! I really like samplers.
    Last edited by Momofmonsters5; March 5, 2021, 06:45 AM.

Comment

Remember once your photos are loaded, you need to choose the size for each one or they won’t attach. This was a big learning curve for me when I showed my quilts.

Comment

thanks ladies, my session got timed out which led to the photos going missing
        Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

You'd never know those are early quilts. They look wonderful! The house one is so full of whimsy and detail. Even has a ribbon May pole! The pink and burgundy is really pretty, as is the blue.
          Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Great job on all of these, love the baby blocks!
            Kathryn
            There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Lovely selection of early quilts, you had good teachers that gave you a great foundation.
              If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

The Strolling the Block quilt is so cute. Your early quilts are great.

Comment

What a nice start to your show. The houses are so cute all decorated

Comment

I agree that it is amazing that these are early quilts. You are a fantastic piecer and sewist. I admire your skills and those are certainly great examples . Anxious to see the progression. I also admire that you have pictures of those first quilts. I am not a great documenter of my work.
                    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                    Terry

Comment

Love the early quilts, especially the log cabin and the samplers. I agree that they certainly don't look like early quilts. Great job and great start!

Rob
                      If you like a fabric, buy a yard. If you LOVE a fabric, buy three!
                      Anna Bates
                      "Quilt Roadies"

Comment

Love these especially the sampler quilts! That timing out thing needs fixing!

Comment

Great work on the quilts especially as a newbie at the time. Love the house quilt! So many cute details.
                          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Beautiful work!
                            Katrina
                            “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Love them all. Loved the samplers! Gina

Comment

Working...
                              X