Sharing our Quilts, Day # 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing our Quilts, Day # 7

After making the Choo Choo and Star Wars quilts for baby Aaron, I got the bright idea to make quilts for each of our 4 older gkiddies for Christmas of 2019. I started off with the oldest girl, Victoria. She loves purple so hers was pretty easy….lots of purple and not to traditional.

20191225_140431.jpg

Next came Parker 17 and loves yellow and stars – easy peasy – Pat Solan’s Oh my Stars was perfect.

20191225_140152.jpg
    Next came Jackson. He loves skiing, fishing and anything nautical. I couldn’t find a pattern so I just made one up….turned out pretty good.

151239321_1273702496344710_3523590606552496066_n.png

Then came Lilian, loves muted colors and again nothing traditional. Found this Jitter block pattern and it was perfect – she loves it.

20191225_140312.jpg 20191225_140106.jpg
    Now for the rest of the story.

Victoria's was the frist quilt to go to the LQS for quilting and since one of the fabrics features dragonflies, they suggested a dragonfly quilting design - and it truned out awesome. When I was getting ready to take quilt # 2 to the LQS, DH suggested that I use the dragonfly design for all the quilts. Sooo after a little research into the dragonfly I decided to go with it. The quilts are all vastly different, but tied together with the little dragonfly.

This is the message we included with each quilt when we presented them.

To Victoria, Parker,Jackson, Lilian, and Aaron.

Each of these quilts is vastly different. They signify your individual personality, likes, and tastes. But the quilting, a pattern of dragonflies, is the same on each one. It represents family. Your link to each other.
    Baba and I chose dragonflies because legend has it that dragonflies were given an extra set of wings so that angels could ride on their backs, smaller than small, yet whenever you see these winged masterpieces you can be certain that an angel has come to visit you.
    Dragonflies live for a year at most. This puny insect teaches us to live our lives fully. Live life to the utmost instead of over-planning and over-analyzing every decision. If you wait too long to live your life, then you may find that your best years are already behind you.
    Each of you were with me as I stitched your quilt. It was as if you were sitting right beside me while I worked. So each time you look at them, each time you curl up with them, I hope you’ll know that we’ll be there with you, too.
    Love, Grammy and Baba

But wait – there’s more to the story.

Parker and Victoria were so emtionally stirred with the dragonfly and it's significance now to our family, they decided they take it a step further and get a dragonfly tattoo AND they were convinced that Grammy and Baba should get one as well. Of course DH was all in favor, and while Grammy pretended to protest and refuse, I knew from the beginning that I would definitely be getting a tattoo. Believe me when I tell you I have always been a "never on this body" tatoo person. My sons were aghast at me getting one - my youngest son even reminded me that I had one time threatened to dissown him if he ever got one - LOL. Ah - the things we do for our grandchildren!!!!

Jackson and Lily have to wait until they are 18, but both plan to get one as well.

107812856_3236658059726453_1983610675220501228_o.jpg 636553454.jpg . Resized_20200813_175823001 (2).jpg

As for little Aaron...well, he got yet another quilt this year for christmas - this one with the dragonfly design. Not sure about him getting a tattoo - but I am sure, if he does, I'll have to fly in on the tiny wings of a dragonfly to witness it.

Aarons car quilt1.jpg

Thank you all so much for this opportunity to share my quilts and bags with you this week. Your wonderful comments and encouragement will remain in my memory forever.
    Keep sewing!!!!!
    Last edited by Carol336; March 4, 2021, 06:56 AM.

What a great story and quilts! Anyone who loves their grandchildren enough to get a tattoo is an amazing (and fascinating) Grammy! Thanks for sharing!

Rob
    If you like a fabric, buy a yard. If you LOVE a fabric, buy three!
    Anna Bates
    "Quilt Roadies"

Comment

Beautiful quilts and story! A grandmother's love is never ending.
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Carol, thank you so much for giving us such a wonderful week of getting to know you better and seeing your beautiful creations! I knew you made lots of bags but had no idea you had also made so many quilts! Hugs....

Michele (chelea) will begin sharing her projects tomorrow. I need someone for the two weeks after Michele. Please contact me if you can take a turn.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

What a beautiful story and yes a tissue was needed. I love dragon flies, my table runner in entry way is fabric with dragon fly. I also love butterflies, after my mom passed, there was a white butterfly in my backyard. Even when I visited my daughter there was a white butterfly hanging out in her back yard. My mother and her was also very close. I believe it was a sign that she was watching over me and my daughter.
          Last edited by Mimi_Howard; March 4, 2021, 06:10 AM.

Comment

Thank You Barb, for giving me this opportunity. As you know my first reaction was that i couldn't possible have enough things to fill a whole week - but as it turns out - I'm more of a quilter than I thought AND - I did remember to take pictures a lot of the time.....Who Knew!!!!!

It was a lot of fun and I'm glad I was invited to participate.

Thanks again everyone.

Comment

When Linda, a former principal's husband succummed to cancer, her whole family got tattoos of a thunder cloud with lightening. He'd always loved thunder storms. So much so, she painted a mural of clouds and lightning over their bed.

Thanks for sharing your beautiful works of love and stories.
              Katrina
              “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Beautiful family story. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

What a great group of quilts for your grandchildren! The message you gave each of them is so sweet and connecting each of them with dragonfly quilting is perfect!
                  "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                  Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Carol the quilts are beautiful and the note you sent with them is awesome. I didn't know the story behind the dragonflies. I've always been fascinated by them. How lucky those grands are to have grandparents that would do something like that for them.
                    Carlie

Comment

We see everyone’s quilts when they post, and we oooh and aah, and yet the back story to each quilt often is lost. I love your dragonfly story, and once explained to the kids, they have embraced it! I too was a “never tattoo” person, my kids snuck off in the dead of night to the sleazy part of town when they were teens to get theirs, and hid it from me for many months. Swim suit season revealed their secrets. But I would get one today, it would be a butterfly, as the metamorphosis story seems to fit so many of our lives, including mine!

I am so glad to see your sewing journey, from quilts to lovely ( and copious ) bags of all sorts! Everything beautiful, creative, useful, meaningful! And reveals the heart of one of my favorite forum members! Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
                        We see everyone’s quilts when they post, and we oooh and aah, and yet the back story to each quilt often is lost. I love your dragonfly story, and once explained to the kids, they have embraced it! I too was a “never tattoo” person, my kids snuck off in the dead of night to the sleazy part of town when they were teens to get theirs, and hid it from me for many months. Swim suit season revealed their secrets. But I would get one today, it would be a butterfly, as the metamorphosis story seems to fit so many of our lives, including mine!

I am so glad to see your sewing journey, from quilts to lovely ( and copious ) bags of all sorts! Everything beautiful, creative, useful, meaningful! And reveals the heart of one of my favorite forum members! Thank you for sharing!
                        Thanks Jean, the feeling is mutual. And get that tattoo - it really doesn't hurt - LOL

Comment

Great story...I teared up. The quilts are beautiful!! People are always shocked I have tattoos. I knew I wanted to be at the top in business so they are placed where most clothing cover them. Except my first a little four leaf clover on my right ankle. I do have a clover with each of my kids names on my left thigh..my daughter also got her daughters name in a rose for Rosa. Love the story of the dragonfly...so special to your family! I love traditional things.

Comment

What a sweet story. Your quilts are beautiful. I always "feel" the person I'm making a quilt for like they're right beside me too. Thank you for sharing your wonderful projects this week.
                            Michele

to the world you may be one person, but to one person you may be the world...

Comment

What beautiful quilts, note to your grandchildren & lifetime memories. I'm so glad to have been able to see a smidgen of what your have made over the years. What a beautiful bond you have with your family through your quilts & kind heart. Thank you so much for sharing this with us this past week.

Comment

Working...
                              X