X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hillbillyhike
    replied
    Originally posted by Teen View Post

Thank you! I use Lori Holts Sew-in interfacing method (which is really Eleanor Burns method that she taught years ago and still teaches) on large applique and most circles...I am currently doing her Flea Market sew along and I’m using this method for all the pieces since all the pieces are only different sized circles for the Dresdens and small and large leaves.

however, my preferred turned-edge applique method is Appli-quick using the appliquick stabilizer. That is the method I used to make this cute block. As a side note: I don’t like the heaviness in my quilt or the stiffness of applique with the whole piece backed with stabilizer and possibly overlaying other pieces so, to resolve this, I hollow out the stabilizer leaving just a quarter inch around the shaped edge to turn the fabric to the back.

I machine sew all my applique using either matching thread (Aurofil 50wt) or Superior Mono Poly clear thread in top thread only. Just depends on the project. I use a micro-mini zigzag so the stitches are not visible.
    Thanks for sharing your methods Tina! I find that very helpful. I'm just getting into applique again. I did a tiny bit early on but not much since. I am using the clear monofilament thread and tight small zig zag on my Dragonflies quilt but it's a fusible applique. I have reserved Lori Holt's My Happy Place quilt coming this summer. That will be a challenge! I just love your quilts and want to make one as well.
    Last edited by Hillbillyhike; February 28, 2021, 05:06 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Teen
    replied
    Originally posted by Momofmonsters5 View Post
    I do so much raw edge applique. I wanted to do a quilted with turn edge applique..do you need to buy a bolt of stabilizer?
    Thank you! Check out YouTube for “Appliquick” tutorials. You use mostly small amounts of stabilizer based on the size of your applique pieces. I typically buy about 3 yards at a time and I save the cut-away scraps cuz you always need small pieces so nothing goes to waste. I do a lot of applique and 3 yards lasts me a long time...buying a bolt is up to you.

See my response above for more details on my methods...

Leave a comment:

• Teen
    replied
    Originally posted by sydneybean View Post

very cute! I have one of those stands and have not made anything to go one it. You have inspired me. I recognize the Sylvia's Bridal as being Jennifer Chiaverini.
    Thank you! Harriet’s Journey is a Jennifer Chiaverni pattern, as well. I love these small blocks on the stands. Have fun picking your block and would love to see the result. Happy I inspired you..😊

Leave a comment:

• Teen
    replied
    Originally posted by Hillbillyhike View Post
    That's absolutely adorable!! Love the pattern and text print. Nice colors too. What kind of thread do you use? Stabilizer? Lori Holt does sew in stabilizer and turns her pieces.
    Thank you! I use Lori Holts Sew-in interfacing method (which is really Eleanor Burns method that she taught years ago and still teaches) on large applique and most circles...I am currently doing her Flea Market sew along and I’m using this method for all the pieces since all the pieces are only different sized circles for the Dresdens and small and large leaves.

however, my preferred turned-edge applique method is Appli-quick using the appliquick stabilizer. That is the method I used to make this cute block. As a side note: I don’t like the heaviness in my quilt or the stiffness of applique with the whole piece backed with stabilizer and possibly overlaying other pieces so, to resolve this, I hollow out the stabilizer leaving just a quarter inch around the shaped edge to turn the fabric to the back.

I machine sew all my applique using either matching thread (Aurofil 50wt) or Superior Mono Poly clear thread in top thread only. Just depends on the project. I use a micro-mini zigzag so the stitches are not visible.
    Last edited by Teen; February 26, 2021, 02:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sydneybean
    replied

Thank you, Jean...No, not 100 of same block. This is just one block pattern in the sampler. All 100 blocks are different from each other...some pieced, some foundation paper piecing, and some applique. I did a 140 block sampler called Sylvia’s Bridal Sampler and shared that during my trunk show...I like the variety and skill challenges in samplers.
    very cute! I have one of those stands and have not made anything to go one it. You have inspired me. I recognize the Sylvia's Bridal as being Jennifer Chiaverini.

Leave a comment:

• Ruthie734
    replied
    That little block is just adorable! What a nice table arrangement too!

Leave a comment:

• Rhonda K
    replied
    Fun quilt block. Your quilt sounds like it is quite ambitions with 100 blocks. You are off with a running start. It's always more fun to play with layouts.

Leave a comment:

• Hulamoon
    replied

Thank you, Lorie...I do buy a lot of text print for BG fabric...usually black on neutral.. and typically more then a FQ and buy from various sites. Fabric.com carries a wide variety but so does Etsy...better prices then LQS or FQS.. I just bought a couple of yards of Jane Austen’s handwriting/correspondence and it’s fabulous. Anywhoo...I have found “FQ bundles of misc text prints” by just googling that phrase. I covet this in my stash...lol...
    Thank you! That Jane Austen print is beautiful!

Leave a comment:

• Star lover
    replied
    How cute! You are very talented ......and gifted.....it’s beautiful 🧵❣️💕

Leave a comment:

• Momofmonsters5
    replied
    Love love your block btw

Leave a comment:

• Momofmonsters5
    replied
    I do so much raw edge applique. I wanted to do a quilted with turn edge applique..do you need to buy a bolt of stabilizer?

Leave a comment:

• Hillbillyhike
    replied
    That's absolutely adorable!! Love the pattern and text print. Nice colors too. What kind of thread do you use? Stabilizer? Lori Holt does sew in stabilizer and turns her pieces.

Leave a comment:

• jjkaiser
    replied
    Oh that is really cute on that stand there!! You can really go to town with this idea. And sometimes you need a break from making big quilts. Small things are fun.

Leave a comment:

• Teen
    replied
    Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
    100 of these? Wow! It is just so beautiful! I can’t imagine how much work 100 would be!
    Thank you, Jean...No, not 100 of same block. This is just one block pattern in the sampler. All 100 blocks are different from each other...some pieced, some foundation paper piecing, and some applique. I did a 140 block sampler called Sylvia’s Bridal Sampler and shared that during my trunk show...I like the variety and skill challenges in samplers.

Leave a comment:

• Teen
    replied
    Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
    That is too cute!! Can I ask something? I want to start collecting some text prints. Do you know of a FQ or designer etc that carries a lot of them more than others?
    Thank you, Lorie...I do buy a lot of text print for BG fabric...usually black on neutral.. and typically more then a FQ and buy from various sites. Fabric.com carries a wide variety but so does Etsy...better prices then LQS or FQS.. I just bought a couple of yards of Jane Austen’s handwriting/correspondence and it’s fabulous. Anywhoo...I have found “FQ bundles of misc text prints” by just googling that phrase. I covet this in my stash...lol...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X