No announcement yet.

Fun with a block

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That little block is just adorable! What a nice table arrangement too!

Comment

Originally posted by Teen View Post

Thank you, Jean...No, not 100 of same block. This is just one block pattern in the sampler. All 100 blocks are different from each other...some pieced, some foundation paper piecing, and some applique. I did a 140 block sampler called Sylvia’s Bridal Sampler and shared that during my trunk show...I like the variety and skill challenges in samplers.
      very cute! I have one of those stands and have not made anything to go one it. You have inspired me. I recognize the Sylvia's Bridal as being Jennifer Chiaverini.

Comment

Originally posted by Hillbillyhike View Post
        That's absolutely adorable!! Love the pattern and text print. Nice colors too. What kind of thread do you use? Stabilizer? Lori Holt does sew in stabilizer and turns her pieces.
        Thank you! I use Lori Holts Sew-in interfacing method (which is really Eleanor Burns method that she taught years ago and still teaches) on large applique and most circles...I am currently doing her Flea Market sew along and I’m using this method for all the pieces since all the pieces are only different sized circles for the Dresdens and small and large leaves.

however, my preferred turned-edge applique method is Appli-quick using the appliquick stabilizer. That is the method I used to make this cute block. As a side note: I don’t like the heaviness in my quilt or the stiffness of applique with the whole piece backed with stabilizer and possibly overlaying other pieces so, to resolve this, I hollow out the stabilizer leaving just a quarter inch around the shaped edge to turn the fabric to the back.

I machine sew all my applique using either matching thread (Aurofil 50wt) or Superior Mono Poly clear thread in top thread only. Just depends on the project. I use a micro-mini zigzag so the stitches are not visible.
        Last edited by Teen; February 26, 2021, 02:40 PM.
        "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by sydneybean View Post

very cute! I have one of those stands and have not made anything to go one it. You have inspired me. I recognize the Sylvia's Bridal as being Jennifer Chiaverini.
          Thank you! Harriet’s Journey is a Jennifer Chiaverni pattern, as well. I love these small blocks on the stands. Have fun picking your block and would love to see the result. Happy I inspired you..😊
          "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Originally posted by Momofmonsters5 View Post
            I do so much raw edge applique. I wanted to do a quilted with turn edge applique..do you need to buy a bolt of stabilizer?
            Thank you! Check out YouTube for “Appliquick” tutorials. You use mostly small amounts of stabilizer based on the size of your applique pieces. I typically buy about 3 yards at a time and I save the cut-away scraps cuz you always need small pieces so nothing goes to waste. I do a lot of applique and 3 yards lasts me a long time...buying a bolt is up to you.

See my response above for more details on my methods...

Comment

Originally posted by Teen View Post

Thank you! I use Lori Holts Sew-in interfacing method (which is really Eleanor Burns method that she taught years ago and still teaches) on large applique and most circles...I am currently doing her Flea Market sew along and I’m using this method for all the pieces since all the pieces are only different sized circles for the Dresdens and small and large leaves.

however, my preferred turned-edge applique method is Appli-quick using the appliquick stabilizer. That is the method I used to make this cute block. As a side note: I don’t like the heaviness in my quilt or the stiffness of applique with the whole piece backed with stabilizer and possibly overlaying other pieces so, to resolve this, I hollow out the stabilizer leaving just a quarter inch around the shaped edge to turn the fabric to the back.

I machine sew all my applique using either matching thread (Aurofil 50wt) or Superior Mono Poly clear thread in top thread only. Just depends on the project. I use a micro-mini zigzag so the stitches are not visible.
              Thanks for sharing your methods Tina! I find that very helpful. I'm just getting into applique again. I did a tiny bit early on but not much since. I am using the clear monofilament thread and tight small zig zag on my Dragonflies quilt but it's a fusible applique. I have reserved Lori Holt's My Happy Place quilt coming this summer. That will be a challenge! I just love your quilts and want to make one as well.
              Last edited by Hillbillyhike; February 28, 2021, 05:06 AM.
              Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Working...
              X