Took a Trip Around the World—what Fun!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took a Trip Around the World—what Fun!

I always wanted to try the quilt pattern Trip Around the World. I had pulled some Christmas fabrics for it but then saw one on FB called Earth and Sky that inspired me to go a different direction. I chose tans and browns to suggest the earth and light and dark blues for the sky. Not one to be found in my stash! So off to the fabric store I went—3 times! The fabrics are Northcott Essentials, some Grunge, and Moda Marbles ( it’s the dark navy, appropriately named PeaCoat Navy!)

Two techniques helped me move this along quickly. One is called Power cutting, a technique I learned in a class I took 5 years ago. It made cutting the over 500 squares very fast and accurate. The other technique was demonstrated by Donna Jordan in a tutorial on Trip Around the World quilt pattern. She basically chain pieces 1/4 of the quilt at a time, and uses the stacks of squares in a circle to help her keep them in order as she stitches. Then she sews the rows together. Using this technique, it took me 2 hours per quadrant to sew the blocks into rows, then sew the rows.

I bordered it with a narrow dark border then a wider one chosen from the 12 colors in the quilt. The pillowcases are the same fabric as the border.

So here are my photos of the process. It was so much fun to do, I want to make another right away! Try it! It is a lot of fun to do!

2B38977D-FE8F-415D-9D0F-8F5A064C4371.jpeg my 12 fabric squares arranged on my work table besides my sewing machine

122993B5-CBD2-4998-B4A6-3189D8D6EA33.jpeg 4F07550F-E923-460F-B272-0D5FB4354518.jpeg Chain pieced quadrant before sewing the rows together

10C434D3-0CE7-4E9E-92ED-F8E47A6E2087.jpeg Finished quadrant

F07355CE-0EB8-4114-AE91-783CD2A38A39.jpeg Quilted and on the bed! About 94” square D11B8888-E892-413D-BC87-EC9E7C657AD9.jpeg When I built something with a strong linear design, I like to quilt with a curved line. These quilting lines remind me of how the wind curls the clouds and shapes the earth! Fun shape!

image.jpg Soft blue blender 108” backing from Hobby Lobby.

So that was my week! Now off to the sewing studio for another Trip Around the World!

Last edited by Jean Sewing Machine; February 25, 2021, 05:41 AM.

That's amazing! You really knocked that one out of the park!
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Looks beautiful. So what colors will the next one be?

Comment

Lovely quilt. The very first quilt I made was Eleanor Burns’ trip around the world. After many moves I’m not sure where it ended up.

Comment

Originally posted by Jean Sewing Machine View Post
          I always wanted to try the quilt pattern Trip Around the World. I had pulled some Christmas fabrics for it but then saw one on FB called Earth and Sky that inspired me to go a different direction. I chose tans and browns to suggest the earth and light and dark blues for the sky. Not one to be found in my stash! So off to the fabric store I went—3 times! The fabrics are Northcott Essentials, some Grunge, and Moda Marbles ( it’s the dark navy, appropriately named PeaCoat Navy!)

Two techniques helped me move this along quickly. One is called Power cutting, a technique I learned in a class I took 5 years ago. It made cutting the over 500 squares very fast and accurate. The other technique was demonstrated by Donna Jordan in a tutorial on Trip Around the World quilt pattern. She basically chain pieces 1/4 of the quilt at a time, and uses the stacks of squares in a circle to help her keep them in order as she stitches. Then she sews the rows together. Using this technique, it took me 2 hours per quadrant to sew the blocks into rows, then sew the rows.

I bordered it with a narrow dark border then a wider one chosen from the 12 colors in the quilt. The pillowcases are the same fabric as the border.

So here are my photos of the process. It was so much fun to do, I want to make another right away! Try it! It is a lot of fun to do!

2B38977D-FE8F-415D-9D0F-8F5A064C4371.jpeg my 12 fabric squares arranged on my work table besides my sewing machine

122993B5-CBD2-4998-B4A6-3189D8D6EA33.jpeg 4F07550F-E923-460F-B272-0D5FB4354518.jpeg Chain pieced quadrant before sewing the rows together

10C434D3-0CE7-4E9E-92ED-F8E47A6E2087.jpeg Finished quadrant

F07355CE-0EB8-4114-AE91-783CD2A38A39.jpeg Quilted and on the bed! About 94” square D11B8888-E892-413D-BC87-EC9E7C657AD9.jpeg When I built something with a strong linear design, I like to quilt with a curved line. These quilting lines remind me of how the wind curls the clouds and shapes the earth! Fun shape!

image.jpg Soft blue blender 108” backing from Hobby Lobby.

So that was my week! Now off to the sewing studio for another Trip Around the World!

Wow Jean, that is aboslutely awesome. Love your color choices and your quilting is amazing as well. Great job.

Comment

Beautiful. Very inspiring. I watched the Donna Jordan video & think I will add this to my list. Thanks for the updates along the way. I was very anxious to see the finished product & you didn’t disappoint.

Comment

Originally posted by KarenC View Post
              Looks beautiful. So what colors will the next one be?
              Green for St Patrick’s day! Hope it goes together as fast as this one did!

Comment

Not enough "ooooohs" in beautiful to describe that quilt. Well done!

Rob
                If you like a fabric, buy a yard. If you LOVE a fabric, buy three!
                Anna Bates
                "Quilt Roadies"

Comment

Wow... that was quick. I want to make one of these in a baby quilt size. Guess it is time to get out the graph paper and see if I can tell how to downsize.

Comment

Beautiful. Quilt Jean!
                    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I watched Donna Jordan's video. A1 plan for building the quilt. Looks fun.

Your Earth and Sky is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

That’s a gorgeous quilt...love the colors and your fabric choices. The quilting design is perfect. It will surely be gorgeous in greens!
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

What a beautiful quilt! Thanks for all the tips along the way of your process.

Comment

Originally posted by Mimi_Howard View Post
                            Wow... that was quick. I want to make one of these in a baby quilt size. Guess it is time to get out the graph paper and see if I can tell how to downsize.
                            Smaller blocks and less colors will make it smaller.

Comment

Great job on a beautiful quilt! The Donna Jordan video for this quilt is so good. Love the pillow cases and quilting design too.
                              "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                              Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

Working...
                              X