Jelly roll rug (squares)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jelly roll rug (squares)

I finished sewing the squares together. I still need to trim strings and bind it. I just haven't gone through the bins to find something to use.

102_0850.JPG
    We'll see if I have to put something under it to keep it from sliding around.

Things I learned while doing this....
    1. Jerry's Jelly Roll Jig... it makes the strip making a piece of cake. Just put the fabric, batting, the rough side of the plastic strips toward the materials and shove it through. It take the ironing, folding and clipping steps out of the strip making process. Just sit down and sew. pull on the jig, fold and sew some more. I LOVE it!
    I also found that if I pulled the batting strip a little before it went into the jig, it made the strip a little narrower than the fabric strip and it didn't twist as bad.

2. Sort the strips into 4 sets of 10. It gives you an idea of how you want the strips to line up. I tied them together with a ribbon so I wouldn't mix them up.

3. Cutting the squares... Use a weight on the ruler to help hold it still, and a new blade is a must!

4. Those squares, even if they're a little off, there's enough play you can stretch the blocks that are 'across' to meet the long wise blocks.

5. It takes a lot more thread than I thought I would. I had enough, but make sure you have a big spool. I was starting to sweat when I had to fill that last bobbin!

Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Wow I love these bold colors together. animated-tea-and-teapot-image-0047.gif

Comment

You are fast! From a whisper about the project straight to the finish line. It looks great!

Did you use 2.5 inch batting or 2.25 batting?

Comment

So bright and happy. I’d be smiling all day as I saw this in my room 🧵❣️❣️❣️
        💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

That looks great!
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Rhonda K The pattern called for a 50 yard roll of 2 1/2" roll. Then when you read down in the pattern, it called for the 2 1/4" and to fold over the edges then press in half. That Jig cut all of that extra work out.
            Katrina

Comment

Beautiful colors and great tips. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Wow! The colors are so pretty! I’ve made several of the oval ones, but never a square one, do you just butt the cut ends up to the squares next to it?

Comment

You sew each strip, then sew 10 strips together and cut them into 6 1/2" squares. It's 6 squares per row, 4 rows. It was so quick and easy! I have to bind it.

I did change to a leather needle when sewing the squares together, because I didn't have any denim needles in the drawer.
                  Katrina

Comment

I love how that came out. Was there a tutorial to go with the pattern?

Comment

Mimi, on Annie's Crafts there is a tutorial, but you have to join their crafting program. They do have the pattern for sale. It's called Strip Roll Rug by Caroline S Vagats. Don't click to sign up for any of their news letters. Mercy! I made that mistake. They will blow up your email every day. I keep unsubscribing, and have finally gotten them down to a couple of emails a day.
                      Katrina

Comment

Oh! Katrina, I do love the fabrics! they go together so beautifully, guess I missed the Jelly roll jig, I'll go back to see about it. Great job 👍👍
                        Kathryn
                        There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Well it was easy, until it came to binding it. My poor Husky boy strained to get through the binding once around. It's clipped, so I'll hand stitch the binding down when the light is better in here.
                          Katrina

Comment

Oh wow that's sure nice! You act like it's so simple but I have a feeling it is alot more complicated especially if you don't have one of those jig things. Which by the. way I have no clue what that is

Comment

Very nice! Are you talking about this jean thing Jean-A-Ma-Jig (anniescatalog.com)? Couldn't you use the one that most new sewing machines come with? I have a couple of them somewhere.

I found what you were talking about. Bias tape maker on steroids. lol

Amazon.com: Jerry's Jellyroll Jig by Hip from Stitch
                              Last edited by Hulamoon; February 23, 2021, 05:12 AM.
                              🌺 Lorie

Comment

Working...
                              X