Quilt Sharing - Day 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Sharing - Day 7

I went back and forth many times on whether to include this story... but sharing sad along with happy is how we grow. This project was near and dear to my heart.

In middle school I became friends with a girl whose father was in the military at our local base. So we only had about 3 years together before he was stationed elsewhere. We were like 2 peas in a pod. She moved away and we stayed pen pals. I was even able to spend part of a summer in high school with her family in South Carolina. Email and facebook definitely kept us connected. It was a friendship that even though we only actually talked on the phone every 2 or 3 years, it was like “yesterday” we had just seen each other.

In 2001 when I lost my husband of 25 years (my high school sweetheart) and my mother a week apart, I was devasted and called her at an ungodly hour. Her first statement… do you NEED me there, I will be on the first plane out. At this time she was also married and living in Louisana. I said no, just needed to hear your voice. She was such a rock for me then. And when things calmed down, I did make and send a variety of gifts for her with Alabama fabric, she was a true “roll tide” fan.

Fast forward a some years and she posted a picture of a peppermint swirl crochet afghan she had fallen in love with. But she did not crochet. I also liked it so I saved the picture. It wasn’t too long after that she was diagnosed with cancer. I knew I HAD to make that afghan for her. I finally found the written pattern instructions but it was like a foreign language. So after searching so many you tube videos I FOUND IT! A step by step one and I put that video on pause so many times learning the blocks. I spent every minute I could making this, my fingers were so sore, but it HAD to be done as soon as I could get it done.

Mailed it off (it was a surprise) and she soon posted it on facebook, she was so happy and it gave her warmth and comfort during her chemo sessions. Alas she did lose her battle, she fought long and hard, she is among the angels. She will always be one of my angels

peppermint swirl lap afghan.jpg
    And now to try and lighten the sharing mood… My dad loved to sit on couch, turn on tv, lean back and eat his dinner. After numerous food stains, he was not always good about tossing a towel over his santa claus belly, I said (jokingly)… one more stain and I am going to make you a bib. He said well then go ahead… oh dear, did my ears just hear a dare! And since he did afterall give me the go ahead, he would HAVE to try it. While he was away in Tenn that summer I took one of favorite (stained up) shirts and made sure I had good overage with the bib, had it waiting for him when returned. First time he plopped down on couch with food, I gave him his present. Of course to ensure it would be hard not to like, I used the Universtity of Tenn fabric. He was a little surprised I actually made him one.... And he loved it. He even said… you know you should order another one of those deer panels and cut a bib out of that for Van.
    papa bib.jpeg

And then when life changed and his couch was replaced with the wheel chair, he would prop up his leg up on bed, turn on tv and turn into a sleepy bobble head. So with an overstuffed travel pillow I could at least protect the backward whiplash movement. He used it OFTEN!

IMG_0354.JPG

I want to thank you all from the bottom of my heart for the love and support I have received. This was a journey that I am glad that I took. At times I was in tears with the memories I was sharing, but it also brought back so many happy ones too.

Thank you Barb for noticing me sitting in the back of forum room with my hand ever so slightly raised for the call to share! Sharing really was good for this ole soul.
    Last edited by Mimi_Howard; February 18, 2021, 06:27 AM.

I love your story about your friend and how you created a way to share your love with her from far away with a comfort quilt! Thank you for sharing that very poignant story and for sharing all week! I also thank Barb for organizing the sharing weeks! It is so interesting to see people’s body of work in a series like this, plus it gives the participants a chance to share their quilt journey. I’ve been to many of Jenny’s trunk shows, and she always ends with the story about why we quilt. Quilts are for warmth, sharing, touching the hearts of others. I sob every time I hear that, because she is right!

Comment

I have enjoyed this week of your quilt sharing and the stories attached. Yes, our quilting journey sometimes brings us sadness but also great joy. I love this thread and seeing the creativity of everyone's work.
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Oh my, what heartwarming stories about your BFF, and your Dad!!! You are one very generous quilter and crocheter (sp)?

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story. The peppermint afghan is so pretty.
          "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
          Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

What a beautiful memory of your friendship and your sweet teasing of your Daddy. Thank you for all your stories and wonderful projects this week.

Comment

Crocheting and knitting patterns are in a foreign alphabet soup language. I don't get them either. I'd much rather make a quilt and making a quilt for those we love in the rough times, makes it even more worth while.

Thank you for sort of raising your hand and sharing!
              Katrina
              “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Thank you for sharing all of your wonderful work and stories! It was great that you were able to give your friend the afghan she loved! It gave her the feeling of having you close by, I’m sure.
                ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Your week of sharing brought a lot of sunshine, and a few tears, to our group. You did a great job. I knew you could do it!....Hugs

Tomorrow Marcy (Qcat) will begin sharing her projects with us.
                  sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Very touching story and so sorry you have lost her. Your comfort quilt is gorgeous and she obviously felt your love. So sweet. Thanks for a lovely trunk show....so enjoyed your journey.
                    "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I am so happy that you raised your hand to share. Your stories are heart warming and to know that special friendship is sweet. I love your projects for your Dad. I know you treasure those moments with him. I will enjoy the tales as I never got that chance. So thank you for sharing that wonderful kind of love.

You have a fabulous quilting journey!

Comment

Oh, I almost cried today. Thanks for sharing! Glad you had your bff when you needed her and she had you. You made me remember my dad too today..so special. Glad you shared your journey with us!! Lol no one but us understands the bonds we have on this forum. Thanks!!

Comment

Such a heart-rendering story and so heartfelt. Cancer is such a devastating disease, but the kindness and love one gets (and gives) helps to make a horrible situation bearable. Thank you for sharing all your love and kindess and stories with us, not the mention your projects. Amazing work!

Rob
                          If you like a fabric, buy a yard. If you LOVE a fabric, buy three!
                          Anna Bates
                          "Quilt Roadies"

Comment

Mimi, sharing your story about your bestie brought me to tears. I have such a friend & can't imagine losing her. Teasing your Dad is such a blessing. Love your stories. You've touched so many hearts today. Thank you. Gina

Comment

Wonderful, heart warming stories! Thanks for sharing your heart & your talents.

Comment

Working...
                              X