Quilt Sharing - Day 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Sharing - Day 3

Good Morning and lets just jump right into Day 3.

Have you ever overbought a fabric to the point that it is taking so long to use it up that you just get sick of looking at it? Oh I have been there and done that, more than once. My first trip to a fabric warehouse near my daughter got me! My GS was into Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles so I bought LOTS of it. I made so many things with the fabric and just didn't seem to make a dent. Here's a pic of the last projects for it. And It is FINALLY gone!

After making 3 various length "wind worms" ... you know the things that keep out drafts under doors.... after those I took what was left and starting cutting into thin strips (that felt good to cut it up and change the sight of it). I took a cotton clothesline and I wrapped the strips around and made a bowl, actually I made 3 different size bowls.
    ninja.jpg
    I came across a tutorial on making a hooded poncho for a child. Didn't look to hard, so I filed it away in my head as maybe a future gift idea. On a shopping trip one day I came across two pretty and ever so soft throws. My ole 2-watt light bulb went on, the poncho project.

My misstep was not realizing the unicorns were indeed directional. Oh my! So I was limited on placement of hood and pocket when cutting them out. I had to cut a front and back piece now vs just a hole in the middle of a rectangle. In the end it was wearable and served it purpose. It bugged me that I had the wider gap in the front where the hood is sew on. But once GD#2 put is on and her eyes lit up, that flaw was difinitely no biggie. GD#3 got the heart one.

While it was not real MINKY, my room still looked like a cat fight had occurred, and I don't even own a cat!
    throw ponchos.jpg
    And onto another first time event. My cousin (in no. calif) was finally becoming a first time grandmother, she had been waiting years and years for great event. I wanted to make her a nice lined tote and I watched many videos, decided to keep it simple. Just a couple of open pockets inside and NO zipper. I knew I wanted artwork on the front (which I did not do - this my son did for me) to make it a personable gift. All was going great until it came time to put the lining and outside pieces together, you know where you put one inside the other to sew. Not only did I do it wrong the first time, oh no... I did it twice. I swear I had it right the second time, pull it thru and turn, Nope.. wrong again. She loved it and never knew I had to rip it apart twice!
    violet tote.jpg
    (PS.... She now has 3 grand daughters but only the one tote from me)

But in my defense of gifting to her, I did surprise her with a lap quilt. During the time my father was dealing with the leg amputation and other health issues, she came to help me more than once. And I made this quilt as a surprise and sent it to her. Timing was not the greatest, for while I was making it they were in the process of turning their green living/family room to an off white. Oh well, at least they kept their couch and it has some green in it. The quilt looks much better on the back of their couch than in this picture here.
    lap quilt 1a.jpeg
    After she saw that I had lined the two shopping bags she crochet for me, well I am now her "liner person" when she makes them as gift for others. So many hats us sewist wear!

When watching Jenny's tutorial on the rhombus quilt.. a no y-seam pattern... oh I am on it! To this day I will say NAY so quickly to any pattern that has a Y-seam. Tried it time and time again with scrap fabric, and definitely out of my wheel house. This pattern screamed "Q-Bert" to me, one of the games my son played for many hours in his younger days. My mistep (I seem to make those quite often - but hey I am consistent) was that I did not pay attention to the fabric, it was not all cotton nor really quilt fabric. The only good thing on this misstep was I didn't have to deal with fraying of the fabric. Hey gotta look for the silver lining wherever I can. My dad thought I had lost it because of the backing/binding fabric. The flames! My son likes flames and he loved the quilt. (the scrap quilt I previously showed for GS has some of the flame squares in it).
    q-bert - Copy.jpg

When my BF was doing chemo I made him a quilt. Did he take it with him for the treatments, like a hug from me while there, no he did not. But he did like the quilt so at least that was a welcomed thank you. Sometimes the receiver of the gifts just don't receive/use them as the vision we have in our heads. The quilt is more browns in the picture. But I know he did like my quilting for he asked me to please make one for his GD and GS. So he said pink for GD and green for GS and they were both really into soccer at that time. Sorry I couldn't find a better picture of the pink one.
    larrys lap quilt.jpeg
    pink soccer.jpg green soccer.jpg

One day while in the sewing room and was just looking through the charm packs, one just kinda starting talking to me. Use me... make something. So I answered the call and this is what I came up with. It was a Finding Nemo theme charm pack.
    nemo dora.jpg
    And to answer yet another call, one from my daughter, GD#2 had her first loose tooth. Could I make a tooth fairy pillow. Oh you betcha, I still had one last scrap of fabric (with fairies) from the skirt makings. Got it done and mailed off in time for the falling out of the tooth. (That blue archy thing at top of the picture is actually the top of a storage bin tote).

tooth fairy pillow.jpeg

Loved seeing your quilts and I always love hearing the stories that inspired the making of them.
    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Lovely projects, your stories with each of them was very enjoyable, thank you for sharing.

Comment

I enjoyed your sharing today! Your projects are beautiful. Yes, I have bought too much of one fabric before. It rather haunts a person. Love your little tooth pillow, too!
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Really great projects. I especially like the green tones you made for your cousin. That looks so hard with all the small squares.

Comment

You are indeed a multitalented fiber crafts woman! So many beautiful projects! My favorites—fabric bowl, green quilt for a white room! ( would go great in my living room), rhombus quilt! All great projects, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Love everything, but the blue and yellow quilt....wow! Love the contrast. Great show today!

Rob
              There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
              --Ken Burns

Comment

Your quilts are wonderful. And I love the quilting on your BF's quilt. That is a lot of quilting. Thanks for sharing

Comment

Beautiful quilts and great stories ... thanks for sharing the memories!

Comment

WOW, you amaze me with all you can do. I've never overbought on fabric like your Mutant Ninja Turtle fabric but we did totally overbuy on some Baskins Robbins Banana ice cream once. We loved it so much that we bought several gallons of it. Needless to say by the end of the first gallon we were tired of it but still managed to eventually eat all we bought. I did have some fabric that someone sent me once that I did not like so I made a rope bowl from it. Looked totally different in the bow. I love the quilt you made for your BF & especially like the quilting on it. Those little fleece hoodie ponchos are adorable. Thanks for the show today. You are a genius when it comes to re-stepping your miss steps!!!!đź‘Ť

Comment

Beautiful works of love!
                      Katrina
                      “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Loved all of them!! Yes I too overbought once on ebay. I bought scobby doo valentine print. I've made curtains and other stuff and it still haunts me in a scap bin lol. Honestly I'll probably use it on the back of the valentine quilt I made. Your projects are fantastic!!

Comment

You are a very prolific quilter. Beautiful work wonderful stories.

Comment

Thank you for sharing all of your projects and wonderful memories!!!

Comment

Great quilts and amazing quilting, and those little jobs I also too, and the ponchos are adorable

Comment

Working...
                              X