Sharing Our Quilts - Day 6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Our Quilts - Day 6

Thank you to all who have commented. You have been very patient with my verbosity. Today's post will be a bit shorter that the first five days were.

I have plans, fabric and patterns to make each of my grandchildren a quilt. So far, I've made two ... but I have eight grandchildren! I also have plans for a wedding quilt for DD#4. Instead of a guest book, people signed charm squares, and my job is to sew them all together. DD#4 already has 3 children. Yes, I am very, very behind!

But DD#3 was the first of my daughters to get married, so I had time to make a quilt for her wedding shower. Well, I barely had time; I finished the quilt two hours before her plane landed.

HPIM0509.JPG
    You may be wondering about the ducks. Our family owned a duck-shaped cookie jar called "Puddles" and DD#3 always loved it. In fact, she asked to take it to college and then to keep it when she was getting her own place. So, prankster that he is, our future son-in-law got hold of Puddles surreptitiously and hid a diamond ring inside. He took DD#3 out for a walk. Lo and behold, she was shocked to see her beloved cookie jar out in the woods. And when she saw the engagement ring inside, she promptly dropped Puddles's head. (Fortunately, Puddles is a vintage classic and a replacement head was found on eBay.) Hence the fabric recreation of Mr. and Mrs. Puddles. I now make a baby duck in the appropriate gender to add each time they have a baby!

The first grandbaby came along. DH and I have four daughters, so you can imagine our surprise when our first grandbaby was a boy! I made him a quilt for Christmas when he was about 2. It memorializes everything he liked at the time. His favorite square was Tigger, who you can't see because he's focused like a laser beam on good old Tigger!

PC250016.JPG
    I learned a lesson when he was 5. I told him I was so happy to see he had the quilt on his bed. He said, "Why?" I had to tell him I made that for him. Two year olds don't have hold onto too many long-term memories!

When his little sister was about 3, I managed a quilt for her, too. I had grand plans to use an old quilt pattern that shares her name, but it required templates and partial paper piecing and it was going to be years before I finished it. Missouri Star came to my rescue when they featured these Disney Princess charm packs.
    20160905_112213.jpg
    The backing is a pale blue with pastel crosses every few inches. When I was putting it my granddaughter's bed for the first time, she asked me to "put it across." So I turned the quilt 90 degrees and continued to make her bed until I realized she was crying.

"What's wrong, sweetie?" I asked. "I WANT THE CROSSES," she wailed. Two days later she asked me to put the princess side up. Every two days throughout my visit, she'd ask me to turn the quilt over so the other side would show. I ended up feeling like I'd inadvertently made a reversible quilt.

As I said, I have fabric and plans for the other grandbabies. All I need now is time!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Toni, you did an excellent job! love the ducks!! It always surprises me how a simple square can come out so many different ways, with just some sashing's, your quilts are really pretty! Have enjoyed all of your quilts especially the charm squares ❗
    Kathryn
    There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

I love the family stories you've shared with us today especially about the duck and adding ducklings. That's how traditions start. My lovely niece is getting married next year so I have to start thinking about a quilt for her wedding.

Comment

Oh Toni! Love your quilts and the stories behind them.....they are a treasure.....as well as you are! 💕🧵
        💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

Love the duck story and how special that it was a remembrance of such a special event! The grandkids’ quilts are adorable, obviously loved by the recipients!

Comment

Toni, I know people who can't tell the time in less than 10,000 words, so please don't apologize for your vital and interesting stories! They're the perfect complement to your gorgeous quilts! I think the duck quilt is my favorite, but the Disney is also special. Very impressive!

Rob
            If you like a fabric, buy a yard. If you LOVE a fabric, buy three!
            Anna Bates
            "Quilt Roadies"

Comment

OH yes, sometimes the backs are as lovely as the front. She is a very smart girl. Lovely quilt.

Comment

I love love your quilting journey!! I too understand the time thing! I have 5 kids. I have 3 quilts that need quilting for them. Then one of twins is getting married too. I'm like OMG...so behind. Abby changed her room theme and has picked 2 quilts from my ufo stash she wants..up to 5 now that need to be quilted asap. We all get behind lol.

Love your stories..the ducks, so special. Our grands really warm our hearts when it comes to to quilts!! You did a fantastic job on your quilts! Thanks so much forvsharing your journey.

Comment

Loving your stories and your quilts.

Comment

Your quilts are all beautiful, and the stories that make these special memories is priceless.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Great job! Love the duck quilt and story!
                      "I'm putting together a list of 100 reasons why I am NOT relentless!" - Sue Heck, The Middle

Leonard: For God's sake, Sheldon, do I have to hold up a sarcasm sign every time I open my mouth?
                      Sheldon (intrigued): You have a sarcasm sign?

Comment

I love your stories as much as your wonderful quilts. Your verbosity is a joy! I especially enjoyed the story of Puddles. 🌸
                        Last edited by Bubby; February 3, 2021, 09:02 AM.
                        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have loved your stories all week. I already knew you were a fabulous quilter and piecer but the stories make you come to life. Thank you
                          Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                          Terry

Comment

Love both your stories and their quilts!
                            Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Who wouldn't love Puddles? That quilt is so adorable & the princess/crosses story is too. Gina

Comment

Working...
                              X