Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cork Tote and Folded Star Hot Pad

Cork Tote Bag 1.JPG Cork Tote Bag 2.JPG Pot Holder 1.JPG

I thought I would try my luck at working with cork. Not sure I will do it again. It was very difficult sewing through the thickness of the seams, which caused me to break several needles. Other than that I liked it. Has anyone else ever worked with cork?

That is the first Folded Star Hot Pad I ever made. Will probably make more.
    Nancy

Beautiful work! I've not worked with cork before, I wonder if a heavy denim needle would be sturdy enough to handle it?

Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Beautiful work! I have wondered about the Folded Star Hot Pad - yours is lovely. Was it hard to do?

Comment

KPH, As for the needle...I used a denim needle. The associate at the fabric store recommended it. It worked well until I got to the thick layers.

Wishaway, I didn't find the hot pad difficult. I made Christmas ornaments using the same concept. I rather enjoy making the hot pads.

Thank you both for your compliments. Greatly appreciated!
        Nancy

Comment

Beautiful projects! I love your hot pad. I haven’t tackled cork yet. I think I will just buy cork cotton prints. Lol
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I have not tried sewing with cork yet. Love both your projects though. I have been tempted to make some of the folded star hot pads, but haven't done that yet either. Years ago I purchased one at an Amish shop. Still have it.

Comment

Your bag and pot pad are beautiful! Haven't tried cork yet - and to be honest, probably never will.

Comment

Very pretty. Guess I need to get out more. I had no idea sewing with cork was even possible.

Comment

I love your projects! So pretty!

I have only used fabric that looks like cork and not actual cork.

Some tips here.

https://sallietomato.com/blogs/blog/...th-cork-fabric

Comment

I bought some "knock off" cork and it is very thin so it sewed up ok. I made a needle book following a tutorial by Crafty Gemini. I have never seen "read" cork, but I would like to. It is sew pretty in pictures.

Comment

I love working with cork. It is becoming a staple in my quilt stores as well as on line. I have made many bags and pouches with it. 2 years ago, I made all the guys on my Christmas list a wallet using cork. I have a heavy duty machine, so no broken needles sewing it. I love the folded Star hot pad. My mother made one in the early 90s as a wall hanging. It was a cherished item in our family after she passed. This past Christmas, I revived the idea, taught my sewing group how to make them. I also made one for my daughter as a wall hanging to remind her of her grandma. Too bad it came to her 3 weeks after Christmas because of postal delays. Maybe next year she’ll be able to use it in her Christmas decorations.

Comment

Rhonda, thank you for the link. Very helpful. Greatly appreciated.
                        Nancy

Comment

I have some cork that I haven't used yet, lol!
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Originally posted by Monique View Post
                            I have some cork that I haven't used yet, lol!

Me too. I can't really think of something I want or need, made with cork. It did look pretty at the store.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

I bought some cork, too, thinking I would use it as an accent on a bag, or a pretty way to reinforce a bag bottom. Haven't done that yet. But I have used it on my embroidery machine to make lip balm holders and needle books.

Comment

Working...
                              X