No announcement yet.

Sharing Our Quilts - Day 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Needle Turn ~ This is a method of applique, done by hand. It's not something I plan to ever learn. It's slow & tedious. I do as little hand work as possible these days due to arthritis in my hands. I've done a couple raw edge applique projects, using the heat & bond.

Comment

Toni, sometimes you walk away & sometimes not. This time, wow, you hit it big! Love all of this! Gina

Comment

This is so beautiful. I love the rich colors and variety in each block. Thanks for the story behind the quilt!

Comment

That turned out beautifully, great job Toni!! Those Asian fabrics really come alive there. A BOM would really have to reel me in all the way they are such wallet busters! Piecing for me is such drudgery-- although I do get tremendous satisfaction from seeing a nicely constructed, pressed, completed block.

Comment

I love your quilt and the fabrics are fantastic, congratulations on not quitting your job and finding a way to finish such a beautiful quilt

Comment

What an awesome job.. Those don't look like easy blocks.

Comment

Hello Everyone! Something is a bit funky with the Forum today; I don't have the ability to post a "Comment" on your posts. Instead, I'll respond to you all in this separate post.

@HillBillyHike: Thank you! And I don't know how you can manage even a wall hanging with a 4.5" throat. Well done!

@ktdid: Thank you! The original design had the butterfly fused in the center of the pale green background. It looked so empty to me, so I added the hibiscus and used embroidery thread with a few French Knots for the stamen.

@Bubby: Thank you. Those colors kept calling to me, and I knew I had to solve the "uneven block" problem.

Rhonda K: Few people who know me have called me courageous. I'll take that compliment!

@cjsews: The lettering is the Chinese symbol for "love."

@Rob the HOAQ: Most BOM classes are not skill builders like this one. But any quilting class is wonderful for the comradery and fellowship.

@srgreene: I'm so glad to know that someone else feels that ironing and pressing are synonyms! By the way, needle turn applique means you don't fuse the applique to the background. Instead, you cut the applique 1/4" bigger than your finished design, then fold under 1/4" as you stitch the applique to the background using a tiny running stitch. Silk thread is often used, because the silk nestles down into the cotton and disappear.

@CarlieBillie: Those colors are what grabbed my heart and made me sign up for the class. I had no idea that I would learn so much!

@nativetexan: I love the idea of using two quilt tops as the top and backing for each other. Thanks you for mentioning that!

@JCY: I'm with you, needle turn applique is not my cup of tea. Interestingly, it was the teacher's favorite block because she really loves hand work. Different aspects of quilting grab different hearts, don't they?

@jjkaiser: I didn't mention the marvelous pricing on this BOM. We paid $5 for the first month. Then, if we completed the block and brought it in the next month, we got the "next" fabric FOR FREE. So this quilt top cost me $10 (I was out of town one month) plus borders. So, if piecing is a drudgery for you, is your great love the actual quilting?

Thank you, all, for your kind words: Momofmonsters5, Cathy F, star Lover, justLyn, debbie Waters, geegeequilts, Jean Sewing Machine, URIBARRI-MAYOR, and KarenC!
                Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Comment

Toni, your quilt is beautiful! The colours are striking, I love the Asian twist for the blocks. You did a fabulous job putting it all together.
                  Maria

Comment

Toni, this is truly lovely! Hope you're able to get it all finished, so you can enjoy it even more.

Comment

Originally posted by jjkaiser View Post
                      That turned out beautifully, great job Toni!! Those Asian fabrics really come alive there. A BOM would really have to reel me in all the way they are such wallet busters! Piecing for me is such drudgery-- although I do get tremendous satisfaction from seeing a nicely constructed, pressed, completed block.
                      Lol Bom are wallet busters!! I've done two. One is done the other is in the que. There's another I have my eye on but I need to do the other one first!!.

Comment

Beautiful fabric and quilt! The black sashing sets off the blocks. I love Asian fabrics and have quite a collection of them, including some I purchased when visiting my son and SIL in Okinawa.

Comment

Absolutely nothing wrong with this quilt.
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Working...
                          X