Sharing Our Quilts - Day 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Our Quilts - Day 2

I may as well admit it right now: I love piecing quilts. I love the feel of cotton fabric and the aroma from pressing it. I love rotary cutting. I love planning out colors and watching blocks come together. But how I hate basting a quilt sandwich! And, so, I have a large collections of finished quilt tops, not so many finished quilts. Today I share with you an unquilted top, mostly because it was so important in my quilting journey.

It was time to quit being "self taught" and to take a class. My LQS was offering a Block of the Month program using sumptuous Asian fabrics that I simply couldn't pass up. I really didn't know what I was getting myself into, which turned out to be a good thing.

The BOM turned out to be an exercise in skill building. We started with the "Chopstick" pattern which was really just a 9" nine-patch constructed from 3" rail fence patches. Each month, we made a slightly more difficult block, from baskets to fused applique to drunkard's path and finally needle-turned applique. Each block was given an Asian-themed name instead of its traditional name, but I was too much of a newbie to know that blocks even HAD traditional names.

AsianBOM1.jpg
    Quick note: I thought that A-tisket, A-tasket baskets were wildly inappropriate on an Asian themed quilt, so I left off the handles, sewed on seed pearls to look like rice, and added chopsticks.

By the time the year ended, I realized that I had a huge problem. While teaching these techniques, the LQS assumed we had some level of basic knowledge. For example, when I asked a question about "ironing" the teacher gasped in horror, saying, "We don't IRON. We PRESS!" I turned to the woman next to me and asked, "What's the difference?" Fortunately, she knew. More importantly, the class never mentioned the importance of squaring up the blocks, and I now had twelve uneven, unequal sized blocks. They got tucked away for years.

Missouri Star to the rescue! I joined one of the annual UFO groups, and was delighted when the Asian quilt's number came up. By now, I'd learned a bit more about quilt design and an idea popped into my mind: I could sew oversized black fabric to each block and square them all to the same size. I bounced that idea off the M* Forum, and members brought up some important points (like, I'd really be doubling the width of the sashing, so don't make it too wide). Now I had twelve blocks, perfectly squared up.
    AsianBOM3.jpg
    Sorry about the kangaroos and boomerangs. My design wall was on our staircase landing, right below our Australian memorabilia.

And here's the finished quilt top, double sashed and quadruple bordered, just waiting for me to set up my Little Gracie and quilt her. Of course, first we have to build the sewing room and get poor Little Gracie out of storage!

AsianBOMFinal.jpg
    My camera doesn't do justice to the rich colors of this fabric!
    Toni ... If I keep sewing long enough, will they make their own dinner?

Toni...it's beautiful!! Very pretty. I'm like you. I love to piece. Since I don't have the tools to quilt well and I've not had enough practice I don't like it, lol. I have a 4.5" throat on my machine and wrestle even a wallhanging in stress, lol.
    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

I really like the butterfly! You did a great job on saving your blocks with the sashing!
      Kathryn
      There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

What a fantastic quilt!! I think it turned out beautiful!

Comment

Beautiful, glad you persevered!
          If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Such a unique and creative quilt. I love it, Toni! I’m so glad you didn’t give up on it!
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Toni,

I love your courage to jump in with the BOM. It's one of the best ways to learn what we don't know. Great job making the basket block design your own style. Beautiful quilt!

Comment

Beautiful. What does the lettering spell?

Comment

It’s gorgeous! The colors looks so rich.....so happy you persevered.....love it ❣️🧵
                  💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

One of the things I look forward to is being able to take a class when the pandemic ends. I think it would help me. That quilt is beautiful! The sashing was the perfect touch!

Rob
                    If you like a fabric, buy a yard. If you LOVE a fabric, buy three!
                    Anna Bates
                    "Quilt Roadies"

Comment

Beautiful quilt. I still use iron and press interchangeably. Twice this week though someone referred to needle turn. I need to look that up.

Comment

The quilt is beautiful. I love the colors and all the blocks. The theme was an interesting twist. I think samplers really help us learn different techniques and that is where we can find what we really love to do! Thanks!
                        Carlie

Comment

Gorgeous! I love the way you turned baskets into rice bowls - very creative.
                          Lyn

If I ever got it all together, I'd be too tired to do anything with it.
                          🙄

Comment

Great save for your quilt blocks! The quilt is beautiful!

Comment

Wonderful job on that and I too love Asian prints. UFO tops can be used as backings, that is what I"m doing just to get them done!!! works well. just add borders if needed.
                              Make another Asian quilt soon.

Comment

Working...
                              X