Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Our Quilts -- Day 3

Good morning!

What comes after Halloween? Thanksgiving and Christmas, of course!

I made the Dresden turkey in 2017, based on Jenny’s tutorials. It was the first time I tried appliqué. I had purchased my first embroidery machine a couple of months prior. This is the first project I quilted with the Amelie Scott edge-to-edge quilting method. It is also the first time I added an embroidery element to a project.

In 2018, I was working in a room with a temporary cubicle while our new building was under construction. I had taken my Halloween wall hanging in to decorate the space, because I would see it more at work than I would when I was at home. This prompted my co-workers to insist I bring in something to decorate for Thanksgiving. I am rather possessive about “Mr. Turkey” — and under a time constraint — so I ordered a kit from Shabby Fabrics. I added the border from my stash.

The Christmas tree is another finish from 2018. I saw a picture online of a rag quilt with this design. I sketched it out on graph paper. The star, ribbon, and bows are appliqué. I quilted it on my embroidery machine using metallic thread. This one did not go to work! I took my Seasons Greetings cross stitch instead. I did update the border fabric with a batik from my stash. The original fabric looked very dated.

The winter quilt was completed in 2017. The pattern is from the fabric manufacturer, designed for that panel. It took three panels to complete the quilt. I added an extra row to use all of the panels. This made the quilt rectangular instead of square, and completed the stars. M* quilted it with a snowflake design.

Bonus pic: in 2016, I bought a gift for a friend at Bath & Body works and they stuck a Santa hat on the soap container. Naturally, I had to see if it would fit Willow! She was not happy about it, but tolerated the indignity long enough for me to take this picture.

Thank you for looking!
    Attached Files

What a cute Santa bunny! When we got Droopy the foster parent put her in a Santa hat, but she refused to keep it on. She did so long enough to get a picture.

I love your quilts, especially the blue one. Even though it's my favorite from today, I wouldn't turn down having any of them in my house! Great job!

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

I'm with Rob on the blue quilt being my favorite. I love the Christmas Tree one too. Beautiful work.
      Carlie

Comment

Beautiful Julie, just beautiful.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Absolutely stunning projects! Santa Willow is soooo cute 🐰 Thank you for sharing.....your Willow ales me smile!
          💫 Anita......Star lover❣️

Comment

I really enjoyed seeing your seasonal projects. It amazes me how much time small projects like this can take but they really help make a house a home. Willow looks so cute in her Santa hat. Thank you, Julie.
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

These are great! I love the blue winter star quilt! And of course, the Santa bunny steals the show!

Comment

I love the blue quilt as well amd Mr Turkey. Willow is adorable!
                Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Love the blue quilt...i may have to find those panels it just specks to me. I've done the turkeys too..love his tie. Great projects!!

Comment

I love seasonal quilts/projects even though I don't do much in the way of seasonal decorating. I have a turkey wall hanging but I like yours much better than mine. Willow is so cute in the Santa cap! Your cross stitching is absolutely gorgeous. You do such beautiful work. Thanks for sharing today.

Comment

Everyone is beautiful. I really love the cross stitch.

Comment

Julie,

Mr. Turkey Dresden is cute. It's so fun to brighten your office with holiday wall hangings. I love the layout on the panel quilt blocks too. Of course, we love seeing Willow dressed for the occasion. She's so sweet!

Comment

Willow fan!!! Lol.. adorable! Like me, looks like applique is a favorite for you, too. Beautiful craftsmanship and the colors of autumn are awesome in all these projects...
                          "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Julie, love Mr. Turkey, always love Christmas trees & Willow is adorable as Santa Bunny. Gina

Comment

Oh, Julie, I just love these! Can't decide which is my favorite... the Christmas tree or the Thanksgiving wall hangings!

Comment

Working...
                              X