Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Our Quilts -- Day One

Good morning!

If anyone were to ask me when my quilt journey began, I would tell them I started quilting in November, 2016. I made a jelly roll race quilt, and I remember it took way longer than the youtube channels said it would. I was hooked!

In truth though, my very first quilt was finished March 11, 1989. I can only be so specific because Mom wrote the date on the back of the photo. 😊 It was a baby quilt for my nephew Michael, who was born as a preemie in November, 1988.

I was into counted cross stitch at the time. The magazine I subscribed to had an issue devoted to a baby quilt. It had several designs (more than what I used) and instructions how to put them together. I did not own a quilting ruler or a rotary cutter. You can see the results were rather wonky! I learned a very important lesson — never take quilt instructions from a cross stitch magazine! I also swore I would never make another quilt again. The quilt was not bound, I sewed it right sides together and turned it inside out. My Texas sister added ties to the quilt later, because who knew you were supposed to do that? The baby dragon is still my favorite design on the quilt.

Fast forward 28 years to 2016. I saw Jenny on a youtube video, thought: “I can do that!” and here we are. I decided it came out too square — I expected more of a rectangle — so I added a row to the top and bottom to lengthen it. My jelly roll race languished as a UFO, in various stages of completion, until January, 2020.

Quilt top #2 I called my “scrappy” quilt. I finished the top February, 2017, and it sat as a UFO until June of last year. I’m not sure why I waited so long to quilt it. Someone posted a thread about what our favorite finish of 2020 was. This is mine! It is just a happy quilt to me. That’s my bunny, Willow, on the quilt.

The last quilt is actually what I consider my first finished quilt. It is a modified version of Jenny’s wallflower pattern. Mom’s favorite flower is a daisy. I made it for her in time for Mother’s Day, 2017. I quilted it on my DSM, but hand quilted around the daisies. This is my one and only foray into hand quilting.

Thanks for looking!
    Attached Files

That's a sweet pix of your mom, you can tell by her smile she approved!! Good job Julie!
    Kathryn
    There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Beautiful quilts, Julie. I can tell your Mom loves her Daisy quilt. Your scrappy quilt is beautiful, too. Willow is so cute!
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

They are all beautiful and loved your story, and bunny is so cute.

Comment

Great start to quilting. Isn't it funny how many of us were inspired because Jenny made it look doable. Love the scrappy quilt and Mommas quilt.

Comment

Your quilts are so very, very pretty. I would have never tried the baby quilt for my first quilt. I had to go with small 2" squares over my whole first quilt. 😁 I've yet to make a jelly roll race quilt. I like how you added extra to top & bottom for length. I'm not a big fan of square quilts either. Your mom's quilt is absolutely gorgeous & I see that she loved it. Willow made me smile today....he's so pretty. Thank you so much for sharing your quilts today & I look forward to seeing more tomorrow.

Comment

Nice start. I love your baby quilt

Comment

Love the baby quilt and all are beautiful. Yes, I agree you can tell mom really loves her quilt.
                Carlie

Comment

Baby quilt & Mom's quilt. LOVE both!! Gina

Comment

Love the quilts and the bunny! Good choice of color on your quilts. Looking forward to more!

Rob

P.S. Is that the bunny who eats bananas?
                    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                    --Ken Burns

Comment

Originally posted by Rob the HOAQ View Post
                      Love the quilts and the bunny! Good choice of color on your quilts. Looking forward to more!

Rob

P.S. Is that the bunny who eats bananas?
                      Yes, that is the bunny that loves bananas! She has become quite spoiled since I started working remote. All of my other bunnies loved bananas, too.

Comment

OMG, I have those same cross stitch patterns, and that was how I started quilting as well, but my first quilt was cross stitch alphabet patterns. Love all your quilts, the colors in your race quilt really speaks to me and of course your Mother's quilt is lovely!!! Looking forward to the rest of your show!!!

Comment

Great show, your quilts are lovely!!

Comment

Julie,

I love your quilt mascot. He is so cute sitting there. Your jelly roll race quilt has such pretty fabrics and I love the idea of the small squares in between. I haven't made one of them but your gives me inspiration. Your Mom must have be so delighted with her daisy quilt. Great show!

Comment

Love them all! Must say I’m loving the jelly roll race quilt, I’ve made a bunch! I too made some baby quilts as my first quilts, but the blocks were machine embroidered! And your scrappy quilt is another favorite pattern of mine, double slice layer cake, my first Missouri Star pattern! Can’t wait to see where your quilt journey goes next!

PS, bunny is adorable!

Comment

Working...
                              X