Smoke & Fire Quilt - A finish & a WIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke & Fire Quilt - A finish & a WIP

Here's what I've been working on this summer & fall. It's been slow progress. The Smoke & Fire Quilt I first saw on Kathy's blog, Tamarack Shack, back in May. There is a Fons & Porter video on YT on it. It's similar to Jenny's Diamond Rail Fence blocks, but the difference comes with the placement of the red squares, alternating them every other row. However, before snowballing any corners (all 96 of them!) I first laid out my blocks to arrange the fabrics where I wanted them -- then proceeded to the snowballing. It's sandwiched & pin basted & I have some FMQ done, but I have a lot yet to do. I'm using a leaf pattern, which also sort of looks like a flame. This quilt was started long before any of the Colorado wildfires.

P1040018.JPG
    P1040019.JPG
    P1040016.JPG This is the finished sampler/table topper. I can use it for a table topper.
    P1040017.JPG This is the back of the sampler which shows the FMQ.
    P1040020.JPG This is the baby quilt top I put together this week. I wanted something quick & simple. It's just strips. The fabrics are Moda's All Creatures Great & Small. Thanks for looking.

Beautiful...love the colors and the pattern, what a work of art you are creating.

Comment

OH I love both of those. Such cute fabric for the baby quilt.

Comment

Wow great quilts!!!

Comment

Joy smoke and fire is beautiful. Wonderful FMQ. Great baby quilt too. Thanks for sharing.

Sandy

Comment

Well done Joy! You should be proud.

Rob
            There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
            --Ken Burns

Comment

Both projects are beautiful. Love your fabrics choices...great job!
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Joy...it’s beautiful! Love LOVE the color combination.....your work is exceptional!
                💫 Star lover

Comment

Joy, you've been busy! Beautiful!
                  Katrina
                  “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Such a beautiful quilt, Joy. Love your fabric choices & your FMQ. You should be proud. Gina

Comment

When selecting the fabrics for the Smoke & Fire quilt, I had hoped to use a JR, but I never could find the right color combination to suit me. I ended up buying 1/2 yard each of several fabrics from my LQS. I bought 2 yds. of the red, which actually is a print. I had a few fabrics in my stash that I mixed in. I still have some strips left over. I may make a table runner for my coffee table.

The All Creatures... fabrics were purchased on sale locally from another quilt store. I bought 3 panels & 3 yds. each of the coordinating fabrics. The light 2" strip I found at my LQS; I've used it for backings, but still have plenty left to back this one. I think I bought 4 yds. at the time of purchase. I have enough fabric left for a least one more quilt + the 3rd panel.

Comment

Gorgeous!! The quilts that take the longest are often my favorite. I am including yours in that category. Well done!
                        "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

WOW they are both beautiful. Have they been spoken for?
                          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Your quilts are beautiful and your quilting is perfect to suit it.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

That's gorgeous and your quilting is amazing!
                              ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Working...
                              X