Sharing My Quilts - Day 1 (Friday)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing My Quilts - Day 1 (Friday)

Top of the morning to you all! I began making my first quilt while I was in High School and finished it after I was married. I knew nothing about quilting but my mother-in-law & grandmother-in-law were both quilters. While my DH was in Oklahoma for his Army basic training, I set up his mother's quilting frame in our little apartment & quilted my first quilt. It was made up of 2" finished squares by alternating solid fabric with print fabrics. The majority of the fabrics came from dresses and such that I had made throughout high school & beyond. Needless to say I knew nothing about 1/4" seams & nothing about the binding needing to be doubled, etc.
    This quilt has been used & abused over the years & is now in shreds but I wanted to show you what it looks like. I did not take a picture of it when it was new but here it is now, 56 years later.

Fast forward to 2001 when a friend of mine was a quilter & she talked me into taking a class at a LQS to make a colorwash quilt. Without the class I would have never been able to make this quilt. You sewed strips together in what the pattern called "stratas" & then had to go back & rip out some of the pieces in each strata to get the colorwash effect. As soon as the class was over I went home & continued finishing the quilt so I wouldn't forget what to do. About a month after the class the teacher had a follow up class for anyone who had problems completing their quilts. This is one of my favorite quilts.

So this is the show for today....two "firsts" in my quilting journey. Hope you enjoyed seeing them.

Some of my pictures this week will be in PDF format as that's the only way I know to get them uploaded here. I hope everyone can see those that I had to scan & post in that format. I don't have many pictures of my quilts as I never knew the importance of taking pictures when I first started making quilts but will share some of those that I do have.

Attached Files

You can tell the first quilt is well loved and well worn. I was the same when I started, didn't know a darn thing.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I really liked the color wash, always wanted to do one, even bought a couple books!! Maybe one day??
      Kathryn
      There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

I really love them both. Thanks for sharing.
        Carlie

Comment

The colorwash quilt is gorgeous!

Comment

I love seeing a quilt that has been loved to shreds. Your color wash is so pretty! Great first day, Nicki!
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

It's beautiful!
              Katrina
              “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

I see only 1 pic -- the first one that's very old.

Comment

I love when a quilt has been used. Your color wash quilt is beautiful! Great showing today, look forward to tomorrow's!
                  If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                  http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I could open the 2nd one on PDF to see it, but couldn't save the picture so it could upload here.
                    I love hearing a quilt made for the 1st time can last over half a century. Amazing work for the first time as well...lovely quilt. 2nd quilt is beautiful, love the colors.
                    animated-sewing-machine-image-0002.gif

Comment

Your quilts are beautiful. Don't you love quilts that are loved to pieces? Thanks for sharing their stories today!

Comment

Love your quilts!! I love yo see a quilt loved. I've always wanted to do your second one even though I'm not a fan of flowers...its always called to me.

Comment

Originally posted by JCY View Post
                          I see only 1 pic -- the first one that's very old.
                          There is a link to the second picture that is titled "colorwash quilt". Hopefully you can click on the link & see the quilt. Some of my pictures were taken with a regular camera so I had to scan them in the computer & upload them from the scan. I'm sorry if you cannot see the scanned picture.

Comment

I love your story of your first. The colorwash quilt came out great.

Thx for sharing.

Sandy

Comment

First, they are beutiful! I anticipate a very nice show from you.

As to your pictures, when you scanned them in, did you save them as a JPEG? If you did, it should be able to be uploaded via the regular route (same if you save them in whatever other file formats the site allows). Of course, looking at a PDF isn't a problem either.

Rob
                              There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                              --Ken Burns

Comment

Working...
                              X