Quilt Sharing - Day 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Sharing - Day 7

Good Morning. This will be my last day to share my quilts with you. I have very much appreciated all the kind comments.

Anniversary Quilt.JPGThis first quilt was done for the 75th anniversary of my church. It is a split rail fence. I made all the blocks then took the individual blocks to church where people could sign the block. I sold raffle tickets for the quilt and then on our anniversary celebration a name was drawn and the quilt given to them.

Wedding Quilt - Melissa and Aaron 2008 2.jpg This second quilt is out of focus and unfortunately the only one I have. It was made for my friends Melissa and Aaron from Taekwondo. This was made for their wedding. I chose this pattern "Hunter's Star" because of the name. Melissa is a hunter, she goes turkey hunting every year with her dad and has also gone deer hunting. Aaron on the other hand loves scuba diving and has travelled all over the world to go reef diving, hence the "hunter" and the "star (as in star fish). I know, corny. What is really cool is that Melissa took diving lessons and Aaron started hunting. They make such a great couple. They now have 2 little boys, the oldest was born just a few days before my grandmother died in 2010 so it is easy for me to remember how old he is.

IMG_0179.jpgThis next one is my Sunbonnet Sue, done in 30's reproduction fabrics. It is from an Eleanor Burns book. I spent many coffee breaks and lunches at work doing the buttonhole embroidery on each of the blocks. It also took time to match up the borders and corners for each square, as they are the colors for Sue. I did take quite a while I know I started this back in the 90's and I had it ready to quilt for a long time. The year that Dave and I moved to our current house I used some of the money I received from my grandparents will to have it quilted for me as it is a very large quilt. I use this one all winter long.

IMG_0229.jpgThis one is the quilt I made for my daughter and son-in-law for their 20th anniversary which they celebrated this year. I bought the material for this quilt in June of 2019 when on a shop hop with some friends. I had in mind to make them a quilt and I had a pattern in mind. I was working on the quilts for my grandkids at the time so it got set aside. In January of this year I started cutting out the pieces. This one took a while, everything was cut at 2" strips. I had a pattern but it was sewing piece by piece so I figured out how to cut down a little on time by doing some strip piecing and was able to cut 6 1/2" strips and attach a 2" "gold" strip and then cut the 2" strips with the gold square already on them. Worked out pretty good. This one is hand quilted and I finished the quilt the end of June. I gave it to them about 2 weeks later on their anniversary. I'm getting better about starting and completing quilts in a timely manner. haha. Jennifer showed me that she has a bag that she will use when not using the quilt. I know that it has been on their bed since July.

IMG_0356.jpg This last quilt is my sampler. One of my goals since I retired was to get UFO's completed and this is one of the earlier ones. This sample quilt was a class I signed up for back in the middle 90's. It was a class that went 6 months for the first half and then another 6 months. The second half was cancelled so I did not have all the patterns. However, the class packet did include what was going to be taught. Luckily, several members here put me onto a great website and I found the rest of the patterns I needed to finish the quilt. It has been at the quilters now for a month or so. I told her I would be happy to get it by Christmas. Once this one is back I will be using this alternately with the Sunbonnet Sue.

Well, that is it for today. I must say when I said I would share my quilts I was wondering if I would be able to share for more than a couple of days. I'm seeing I have done a lot more than I remembered. I have several other old UFO's I need to complete. One is a flannel quilt that has been waiting to be quilted for some time. The other is an embroidery quilt top that I purchased back in 1976 during the centennial. I finished the embroidery last year but have been told that it should probably be hand quilted as most long arm quilters will not do it for fear of ruining the embroidery. That needs to be layered and I plan on starting the quilting after Christmas.'

Thanks again for viewing. Have a wonderful day.

Carlie

What a wonderful finale! Every one of them is my favorite!

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

Thank you for a great quilt sharing this week! Today's quilts were beautiful.
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

animated-herb-and-spice-image-0029.gif Beautiful quilts. The sampler is gorgeous, love the colors in it. Fantastic week of quilts, Thank you.

Comment

I've so enjoyed seeing your quilts. The week has gone by too fast...I need to see more....😊 I'm especially drawn to the Sunbonnet Sue quilt today. I have one that was either my mother-in-law's or my DH's grandmother but it started to fall apart so DD & I salvaged the Sues that were still usable and are making them into a smaller quilt. Someday we will get that finished. I also love the Hunter's Star quilt. I've made one of those & loved making it.
          Thank you for a wonderful, beautiful show of your quilts this week and the time you spent preparing the show for us.

Comment

Oh those are lovely. I have five favorites!! πŸ˜€πŸ˜πŸ˜ƒπŸ˜„πŸ˜Š

Comment

Thank you, Carlie! This is a wonderful finale. Your quilts are beautiful and anyone can see that they came from your heart. You did a great job!

Osewme will begin sharing her quilts tomorrow. I had a sneak preview and you’re going to really like her work.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Beautiful work...funny how doing this we see all our ufo's come to light lol love your work!!

Comment

Thank you for taking the time to share your quilts with us this week. To my eye you have saved the best for last as I love them all today.
                  No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                  Aesop

Comment

Thanks for sharing your work. Love the sampler one. You've made many wonderful quilts & given them with love.

Comment

You've got quite a portfolio of accomplishments. I enjoyed seeing them all.

Comment

Carlie, your finale was waiting for. Always love Sunbonnet, Hunter's Star (I have a hunter hubby) & I am glad I don't have to pick a favorite. Gina

Comment

Thanks for sharing all your beautiful quilts.

Comment

Another week of wonderful quilts. Thank you Barb for organizing this 'quilt show' every week. I think it is really awesome.
                            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Thank you for this wonderful week your work has been full of love and a lot of effort and today we have seen a magnificent collection of quilts, the Sun Bonnets have enchanted me but the one with learning blocks has seemed beautiful to me, I would also keep it for me, congratulations on all your work

Comment

Working...
                              X