Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Sharing - Day 6

Good Morning,

Today I decided to share the quilts I've made for my grandchildren and my niece and nephew on Dave's side of the family.

IMG_0438.JPG IMG_0451.JPG IMG_0449.JPG IMG_0450.JPG I did these quilts when my niece and nephew were pretty young, I think she was probably around 7 and he would have been around 9 or 10. I found pictures in some coloring books and traced them, then painted them with fabric paints. For some reason I do not have a picture of my niece's full quilt, just some pictures of the painted squares. Both quilts had 12 blocks. My nephew was, and still is, very into sea creatures and at the time also dinosaurs. I still have the dinosaurs I made but have not put them in a quilt as yet.

Chris's Quilt - December 2009 2.jpg IMG_0013.JPG Christopher is my oldest grandchild and he received this first quilt, a Turning 20, when he was 11. He got it for Christmas. At the time he was very much a Minnesota Vikings fan, thus the purple and gold colors. As time went on he changed his favorite team to the Seattle Seahawks and I have no idea why. He has lived in Minnesota all his life. His second quilt is a split rail fence and was done as a signature quilt for his graduation in 2016. I did not get the quilt sewn together and to the long arm quilter until late last year so he finally got the finished quilt for Christmas gift last year.

IMG_0117.JPG Makayla is the 15 year old and her favorite color is mint green so I found what I had in my stash and made this disappearing 4 patch for her. She loves it.

Natalie.JPG Natalie is our quirky 12 year old. She is very into Harry Potter, at least she was last year. I'm not so sure she is right now. Because of that I picked the "Gryffindor" colors and found some figures that I added to the quilt.

IMG_0115 (1).JPG Carson is our math wizard at 10 years old. He is a very huge Vikings fan so I made him a Vikings quilt. Found a picture of the Vikings logo and traced that and made an applique of that. I learned some things when making this one, for sure that I need to pay more attention to what I'm doing. I made a bunch of half square triangles and started attaching them to the quilt and found I was short, nothing was matching up. Light Bulb!! I didn't allow the extra amount needed to make the half square triangles. Now I know better. I love it when I learn something new.

IMG_E0015.JPG Grace Ann is my 11 year old granddaughter, Jim's only child. I made this "Princess Quilt" from a pattern/kit I got at the local quilt store. The pattern was quite a bit smaller so I added two more princesses and 2 more colors. Turned out quite nice. I still have quite a bit of fabric left over from that. I even made her a small doll quilt to go with her big girl quilt.

All in all I think they all turned out pretty good. They were all very happy with their quilts.

That's it for today. Tomorrow will be my last day.
    Carlie

Very nice quilts, Carlie! The D4P was a lot of work and it turned out great. Thank you!
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I want that sweet little elephant ballerina!! You did a great job on that, I can't get over how cute she is!!
      Kathryn
      There are moments which mark your life, moments when you realize nothing will ever be the same. And time is divided into two parts, Before this and After this

Comment

Great quilts Carlie! That elephant made me smile, just so cute. I love scrappy quilts so your disappearing 4 patch spoke to me.
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Carlie, you have been really prolific in quilt making over the years. I love the Disappearing 4 Patch quilt. "Disappearing" blocks intrigue me so I'm always drawn to them. The Princess quilt has such cool colors. It looks like something I'd like to snuggle under. Thank you so much for a day of joyful quilts.

Comment

The fist quilt just awes me it is so gorgeous and masculine. They are all lovely but this one just stops me to stay and look at it. I went back 3 or 4 times to look at it. Now that is an incredible gift.

Comment

Carlie, what a wonderful collection! The things we do for grands. I only have one so far but I really enjoy making her things!

Comment

The elephant is beyond adorable! Plus, I have a coworker who would love the Harry Potter quilt. Yet again a beautiful show, Carlie!

Rob
                There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                --Ken Burns

Comment

Those are cute and adorable quilts. You are talented to bring some of the children's personality to the quilt. Of course you had me with the dino blocks. Thanks for showing them!

Comment

Oh don't you just love that elephant!! Great work on these wonderful works of art. Gina

Comment

Some of my earliest quilts were the Turning Twenty patterns. They're quick & easy for a beginner. I have 2 or 3 of Tricia's pattern books. The D4P is lovely; I haven't made that one yet. It looks like a lot of seams to match up. Thanks for sharing your collection.

Comment

Joy, I found the biggest challenge was making sure I was turning the right pieces. It is so easy to get mixed up. I just needed to be methodical in what I was doing or I would get mixed up. That being said I really love the pattern. My husband even mentioned that he liked that pattern.
                        Carlie

Comment

Carlie your quilts are just fabulous and each one so different. My favorite is the disappearing 4 patch. I bet you could make a nice dent in the scrap pile with that one! Does your GD really have purple hair or is that a wig?

Comment

Originally posted by CarlieBlilie View Post
                            Christopher is my oldest grandchild and he received this first quilt, a Turning 20, when he was 11. He got it for Christmas. At the time he was very much a Minnesota Vikings fan, thus the purple and gold colors. As time went on he changed his favorite team to the Seattle Seahawks and I have no idea why. He has lived in Minnesota all his life.
                            Perhaps Christopher just wanted to root for a team that had a chance of winning a Super Bowl!

Comment

WOW your grandchildren are very lucky to have a very talented grandmother. What a wonderful job matching quilts to their likes and personalities.
                              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Working...
                              X