Quilt Sharing - Day 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Sharing - Day 4

Today I'm sharing table toppers that I've made.

IMG_0460.JPGThese four table runners were made for a "basket" that my teammates and I did for the United Way. Our company has different things we do to generated donations for that year. We did a "seasonal basket.

IMG_0447.JPG These are two I made, one to celebrate birthday's and one for Christmas. IMG_0507.JPG I made this one for my best friend who loves sunflowers.

IMG_0465.JPG This is a tree skirt that I did not make as a tree skirt but a table topper instead. It was my first foray into applique. I use it on my dining room table every year.

IMG_0466.JPG IMG_0467.JPG This was not made by me. It is to show you where I get my abilities from. My grandmother designed and made this. It is on green felt, sewn with sequins and beads and jewels. The middle where the clock is was the original hole as she used it as a tree skirt for a while. It took her 3 years to complete (she said it was complete in 1959 but she made a lot of additions after that). She was even written up in the local paper for this. By the Christmas tree you can see little kids. At the time she completed this there were 3, myself and my two sisters. She added dogs and another baby. You can barely see me in the second photo. I'm the one on the left (you can only see the face). This was left to me to take care of and it does need some repair as some of the thread is letting go. Thankfully I have all her beads and sequins. It will go to my daughter when I'm gone.

That's it for today. Hope you don't mind me showing off my grandmother's handiwork. Have a great day.
    Carlie

Love the purple runner and the snowmen ones the best/ All are beautiful. witches.jpg

Comment

Those look very nice, and for such a good cause! My friend in Colorado works in public relations for the United Way in Weld County. Thanks for sharing!

Rob
      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
      --Ken Burns

Comment

I am really enjoying your daily post of your quilts & projects. I especially appreciate that you have included your grandmother's Christmas tree skirt in this grouping today. I can see why it took her 3 years to complete & it's an heirloom to be cherished. I'm amazed at the beautiful handwork & details that went into making that skirt. Thank you for another wonderful day of table toppers & tree skirt.

Comment

I love toppers and runners....a lot of bang for your time. Your grandmother’s work is awesome. It’s amazing how much can be done with small amounts of fabric. Thanks for sharing these today, Carlie.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Such pretty runners, they add a nice touch of color in a room. Thanks for sharing them today. Your grandmother's tree skirt is lovely.
            If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
            http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Thank for another wonderful day of showing.
              Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Amazing work by your grandmother with all that applique. No wonder it took her so long to make. Thanks again for sharing your work. The runners all are lovely.

Comment

absolutely stunning. That tree skirt is certainly a treasure
                  Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                  Terry

Comment

Creative idea to make a seasonal basket. You have an eye for coordinating fabrics and accent trims. I saw "195" and thought it was perhaps a date and then saw the 1959. How special that you are the keeper of the beautiful tree skirt. Thanks for sharing the treasured project today!

Comment

Working...
                    X