Layer Cake Quilt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Layer Cake Quilt

I had this layer cake for eons and decided to make a cuddle quilt for a neighbor’s daughter. It has yellow minky backing and is so mushy and warm... I’m trying to use up some of my precuts and just whipped out a quick pattern over a weekend.. Used every bit of the layer cake. I love when that happens.. A1130D49-EBC3-4812-BCD3-341DA30500B9.jpeg
    "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

How cute! I love the polka dots!
    🌺 Lorie

Comment

Love it!! Is it a free pattern? I have a layer cake that would great with this pattern.

Comment

Those colors are terrific!

Rob
        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
        --Ken Burns

Comment

Nice quilt so cheerful and that polka dot fabric gives it a special life, good job

Comment

I like it. Cool how the polka dots made a secondary pattern to the hst

Comment

Love it! It's always a good feeling when we can come up with something to make with what we have on hand. Congrats. I'm sure your neighbors daughter will appreciate it.
              No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
              Aesop

Comment

That quilt is so filled with love & color. Your neighbor's daughter is bound to absolutely love it! I love how you pieced the inner border with left overs from the layer cake. Thanks for a pretty show!

Comment

Originally posted by Momofmonsters5 View Post
                  Love it!! Is it a free pattern? I have a layer cake that would great with this pattern.
                  Thank you! No pattern used. I just did the math to figure out how to make sure the whole layer cake was used. Here is the cutting instructions for 36 10” squares:

Each 10” square: Cut (1) 7 1/2 x 10 & (1) 2 1/2 x 10.

Cut 7 1/2 x 10 Stack on the diagonal once. Mix and match and sew together the blocks. (To create a diamond shape, cut half of the stack one diagonal And the other the opposite diagonal. If you do it this way, Sort your stacks light, dark, light, dark before cutting.
                  then sew a light with a dark for your block)

Note: I did an inner and outer border but you don’t need these if you want to use scraps for binding too. If so, just sew up the 2 1/2 x 10 and attach sides, bottom and top. Then use the balance 6 layer cakes and 2 1/2” strips for binding.

However, I added inner/outer borders....My inner border is only 1 1/2” finished...and out border is 5” finished. I didn’t have enough of layer cake for binding doing it with inner/outer border so I used a gingham print.

Hope this makes sense.

Here is the diamond look without the inner/outer borders. I use the light 2 1/2” strips for border and the dark for binding..

6ADC9B89-CA21-4E5B-A68E-34329EE88B09.jpeg
                  Last edited by Teen; October 25, 2020, 06:09 PM.
                  "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

That turned out great. Love the bright, cheerful colors.

Comment

Beautiful quilts how different they look using other colorways!!!

Comment

What a happy quilt! Love those colours!
                        Maria

Comment

It’s about the happiest quilt I’ve seen! I too love the polka dots,.....and minky! Wow!
                          💫 Star lover

Comment

Beautiful quilts!

Thanks for the how-to directions. It's nice to have a quick and easy quilt pattern. l love how different each quilt looks with the pretty fabric colors.

Great job!

Comment

Such a bright and happy quilt! You picked the perfect layer cake to use.

Comment

Working...
                              X