Quilt Sharing - Day 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Sharing - Day 2

Sorry I'm a little later than I thought I would be today. Got a phone call from one of my friends who moved to Marquette Michigan earlier this year. She was one of the gals I did a lot of quilting with at the church group in the town where I used to live. I decided to share some of those quilts. The group was comprised of 3 quilters, myself, the gal who moved to Marquette and another gal. There were several others who did not piece the quilts but who had a hand in the making by ironing, making labels and we had one who only liked to do the hand sewing. The group was formed because of our love for quilting and wanting to do something for our church family. Originally we started by making blankets for the baptized babies as a memory for the parents and the child. We graduated to doing quilts for those, young and old, going through difficult health issues, or just difficult times.

Tabitha 1.JPG We made several of these quilts and had fun putting all the different fabrics together. We did one that I added applique butterflies to but I don't have a picture of that one. That one was given to our pastor's sister who was diagnosed with cancer.
    Tabitha 2.JPG This was made for one of our members but I'm not sure why (it's been about 15 years since it was given). The lady is the one who liked to do all the hand sewing and always does the binding on the quilts.
    Tabitha 3.JPG Tabitha 4.JPG Tabitha 5.JPG Tabitha 6.JPG These four were given to a local shelter for abused women and children. Tabitha 7.jpg These are three "banners" and a baptismal blanket. In this case not only was the baby being baptized but his older siblings were too. I designed the 3 banners and embroidered the names and dates on each.
    Tabitha 8.jpg This quilt was given to this young lady for her selflessness. She had heard of a little girl who was having liver problems and decided to see if she would be a match as a donor. She was and donated part of her liver to the little one. The surgery was successful but if memory serves the little one passed away several years later from other difficulties.
    Tabitha 9.jpg Tabitha 10.jpg These last two are examples of the blankets we made for the baptism memories. They are super nine-patches and were very simple to make. We did not put batting in them and the backing was made from flannel. They were very similar to what I called "receiving blankets" from back in the day.

I know these are not all completed by me but I was very involved in this group and thought to share since it was a big part of my quilting history.

Hope you enjoy thanks for viewing!
    Carlie

What wonderful quilts for wonderful causes. It's such a thrill & encouragement when we can find others who like the same things we do & can get together to make beautiful, needed quilts to warm the body & soul. I'm so glad you got to participate in the church group to make these (and I'm sure many more) quilts for those in need.

Comment

Thank you for sharing these projects. I think the makers are as blessed as the receivers. I especially like the blue 9-patch quilt that went to the women’s shelter. The blocks seem to float.
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

The cat quilt is priceless. Hope a cat person got that one =)

Comment

I love the colors! I also love the niine patch quilts, but then again I like them all!

Rob
          There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
          --Ken Burns

Comment

Your quilts are beautiful and show the beautiful spirit that quilters have together. They are all so cheerful and the smile on the young lady is priceless. Thank you for the show today!

Comment

Thank you for showing these quilts, I'm sure looking at them again brought back some wonderful memories for you. It's a great feeling to be able to make things for others to enjoy.
              If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
              http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Lovely gifts from the heart...
                "You cannot do a kindness too soon, for you never know how soon it will be too late." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Just beautiful. Thanks for sharing these.
                  Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I know I sound redundant but the stories are simply the best part. You are inspiring and I bet the forum members reading this are feeling a pull to make charity quilts. I have gotten out of the habit but your posts are reminding me how good it made me feel to give my time and energy to a cause. Of course, the quilts are spectacular but the heart and soul of the quilter is so evident.
                    Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                    Terry

Comment

Working...
                    X