Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quilt Sharing - Day One

Good Morning,

I have been quilting for over 25 years but have not been as productive as some due to work and just plain life. I met a couple of gals at work back in 1994, they were both a little older than I but were talking about quilting and my interest was piqued. The more they talked about it the more interested I became. That started quilt shop hopping with them and boy did we have fun traveling to all the shops all over the state and we even ventured into several other states. Some of those marvelous quilt stores have long since closed. Shortly after learning about quilting our town got a quilt store and I signed up for a few classes. The first class was for the Amish Diamond. The class taught how to piece and to quilt as well. IMG_0453.JPG I don't remember how long it took me to complete but by the time I was done I was absolutely hooked.

At the time I had a supervisor who was a smaller gal who had a great sense of humor. We, her team of about 30 people, were giving her a bad time about an outfit she was wearing. Green plaid with tights. The whole team started referring to her a "Little Sprout", the Jolly Green Giant sprout. I don't remember if it was her work anniversary or her birthday but we got together and got her gifts. Mine was an Amish Diamond with the Green Giant Sprout quilted in the middle. You can barely see it but it is there. IMG_0440.JPG You may need to enlarge to see the quilting.

The last one for today was a long time to complete. It is my first sampler quilt and was a class I took at the local quilt store. I love the fabrics in this one, especially the peacock feather fabric. Wish I could find that. I got the piecing done by the end of class but the quilting took forever. I started it shortly after the class ended but after doing several blocks I didn't like it so I tore all the quilting out and started again. I got a little further the 2nd time but didn't like the batting, it was bearding all the time. So again I removed all the quilting. I then took that batting out and got some warm and natural which I use most of the time now. I started the quilting on that an probably got about 4 or 5 of the 12 blocks done and it got put aside. Then in August of 2013 my cousin who lives in Texas suffered a terrible loss. Her daughter and two grandchildren along with several dogs were in a horrific accident in Oklahoma. My cousin's daughter and her 12 year old granddaughter died as a result and the grandson (I think he may have been about 6 or 7) was not doing well. Several dogs died as well and I think one they could never find. Her grandson made it through however it has been a long haul and is a paraplegic. Shortly after that a fundraiser was arranged and I decided to complete the quilt and send it down to my cousin to include in the fundraiser. I completed it and sent it down in time for the fundraiser and several of her friends bought the quilt and presented it to her. I was very happy to hear that she was going to be able to keep it. I have to say that I really like the colors in this one. They were actually my grandmother's favorite colors and if I had completed it back when I started it I would probably have given it to her. I think I was meant to finish it later just for this purpose.
    DSC00929.JPG

That's about it for today. I'll have more tomorrow!
    Carlie

Carlie,

I love the Green Giant sprout! They all are great jobs. Can't wait to see what else you have to offer.

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Comment

Beautiful work! I'm so glad you've found all of us. I can't wait to see what else you have to share.
      Katrina
      โ€œNothing can dim the light which shines from within.โ€ Maya Angelou

Comment

I really like the crisp points on your diamonds, so perfect. Beautiful work. group-dancing-penguins-smiley-emoticon.gif

Comment

I love your quilting journey and the shop hops along the way. They sound like fond memories. The story of the sampler quilt shows how much comfort a quilt can bring in times of loss. Thanks for sharing your quilts today. I look forward to the rest of your show too!

Comment

I love your quilts. Little sprout is really cute! The Amish Diamond is gorgeous. Thank you, Carlie!
            sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thank you. Beautiful sampler and it was completed for a touching purpose.

Comment

Great quilts and the quilting. Certainly the sampler was meant to be!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your quilts this week. The Amish Diamond has a lot of beautiful work put into it. The Diamond Green Sprout quilt is so cute. I'm sure your co-worker got a kick out of that. Your last sampler quilt was meant for something special & I'm so glad the quilt was purchased by your cousin's friends & was presented to her as a gift of love & healing.
                  Looking forward to seeing more of your quilts....is it tomorrow yet? ๐Ÿ˜‰

Comment

Great selection today, I love the traditional solid color Amish quilts. Love your sampler quilt and the story behind it.

I look forward to seeing tomorrow's selection.
                    If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Isn't it amazing how we all came from different paths to find our love of quilting? Thanks for sharing your journey and quilts with us today.
                      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                      Aesop

Comment

Really like your sampler quilt. Great to hear how your finish came through to help out.

Comment

I love your hand quilting Carlie! It's so well done! The Little Sprout is so cute. Thanks for sharing.
                          Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! ๐Ÿ˜

Comment

Beautiful work. Quilts are such comfort items!

Comment

Love the stories about the quilts & thanks for sharing. Isn't quilting & giving to others a rewarding experience.

Comment

Working...
                              X