Not a quilt, but the kitties may love it

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not a quilt, but the kitties may love it

Some folks are not kind at all and drop of unwanted cats and kittens. We capture them, have the spayed or neutered, and then they come back to us. We try all types of cat enclosures for the winter particularly. This one will be placed inside a protective container. Top is insulated upolstery fabric supported by Pellon 725 which is sandwiched with a warm and fuzzy very thick polly fleece-like fabric. Bottom is heavy duty canvas. Finished a pillow insert with three layers of mylar inside. Also put on a clear flexible door so there will be additional protection (not shown in this pic). Nice thing for me, is that was all stuff from my stash!! Pattern was free from good ole Mr. Google. I enlarged it and modified it a bit for the adult cats which are around now.
    ferral house.jpg
    “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir
    “We can be many things in this life, choose to be kind!” ― author unknown

I can't have cats (allergic) but this is cute.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

This is really cute. Think maybe instead of making my grands bunny a new tiny flannel quilt this year I will look into making him a new hide out place. He has one similar to that and it is in need of replacement soon.

Comment

Very cute! Do the outside cats use it? I have 2 ferals left and they will not go in an enclosed space if it doesn't have two ways of escape.
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Such a nice thing you've done for the kitties! Some little furry creatures will be nice and warm now.
          ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Originally posted by Cathy F View Post
            Very cute! Do the outside cats use it? I have 2 ferals left and they will not go in an enclosed space if it doesn't have two ways of escape.
            Yes, some will use it, but it will take a couple of days before they are acclimated. I am aware of the two ways of escape, but these are usually elevated a bit. If I put in two in the larger containers, they can't keep as warm. I don't heat them. Wish I could do more, but allergies get in the way.
            “Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.” ― John Muir

Comment

Originally posted by Mimi_Howard View Post
              This is really cute. Think maybe instead of making my grands bunny a new tiny flannel quilt this year I will look into making him a new hide out place. He has one similar to that and it is in need of replacement soon.
              Here's the free pattern. I modified it by not using different fabrics on the four top sides. I taped the pattern together and just cut four out of the same fabric. I also enlarged it by 1.5" all around. If you make it larger, the bottom will need to be adjusted to fit. Easy, of course, just measure the sides for the dimension of the square. The opening for the entry was reduced in size to about 6.5" in diameter (used a good ole saucer for that!). What she shows would not work for the ferrals. Great for the kiddie toy, though. I think bunnies would love it with a smaller opening, too.
              http://www.sewcando.com/2019/02/free...loo-polar.html

Comment

Thank you for the link and the tips on making it your own.

Comment

That is such a sweet project for the kitties. Bless the kitties and those that help them too. Thank you!

Comment

OH that is so very cute! thanks for taking care of strays. i bought a house for the female kitten outside. the huge male out front has a pad in an old plastic laundry basket on the porch. he thinks it is fine! Do you wash these later or just make new ones when needed?

Comment

Originally posted by nativetexan View Post
                      OH that is so very cute! thanks for taking care of strays. i bought a house for the female kitten outside. the huge male out front has a pad in an old plastic laundry basket on the porch. he thinks it is fine! Do you wash these later or just make new ones when needed?
                      First, I hope they both have been neutered. There are organizations which do TNR https://www.neighborhoodcats.org/how...ed/what-is-tnr
                      We are lucky to have them in our area and there is a fee for the vet only. Nice thing about these organizations is that not only do they do incredible work and care for the animals, the animals are thoroughly checked out health wise and given necessary inoculations. Ours brought have a heart traps, food and when we catch the ones that are new to the area, they come and get them, take them in for surgery and health checks and return them to the area. We do have to commit to continuing to feed them and care for them to the best of our ability.

Having said that I'm not sure they inoculate for feline leukemia One really big concern about reusing containers is that there are diseases like https://pets.webmd.com/cats/facts-ab...ukemia-virus#1

I generally toss the tubs/baskets/boxes at the end of the cold season since the cats have other places to go. The fabric one, I will toss as well. Leukemia can wipe out a colony quickly and it's not a nice way to go. Feline leukemia only impacts cats, not dogs or humans. Then there is the possibility of the usual things like fleas. It is hard to medicate them unless they become friendly. Dosing has to be done carefully depending on weight and then every month.

Those two cats are part of the lucky ones. Thank you for giving them a better chance.

Comment

OH it's a huge long story on the female. yes she is fixed. the male i would never catch!

Comment

That looks wonderful! I think I will make one for my own kitty. Actually she's not so young, but sleeps in the strangest places. This morning it was the kitchen counter top which she has never done before.

Thanks for the link and tips! I have everything to make it already. Don't you love when that happens!

I forgot a question. What about washing it with that heavy Pellon? I might make a couple for our shelter here and they will need instructions. 😸
                          Last edited by Hulamoon; October 19, 2020, 10:49 AM.
                          🌺 Lorie

Comment

Originally posted by Hulamoon View Post
                            That looks wonderful! I think I will make one for my own kitty. Actually she's not so young, but sleeps in the strangest places. This morning it was the kitchen counter top which she has never done before.

Thanks for the link and tips! I have everything to make it already. Don't you love when that happens!

I forgot a question. What about washing it with that heavy Pellon? I might make a couple for our shelter here and they will need instructions. 😸
                            I wasn't too concerned about washing the final product since these are ferrals and I usually don't keep the bedding. Peltex 70 might be a better choice or pp foam. You just need something firm to help hold up the shape. Perhaps a couple layers of quilt batting and quilting the sides before you sew them together and certainly a removable cushion which could be easily washed. PELLON FLEX-FOAM FF-77 seems to be a good choice, but a little pricey. Although what I used was a fusable, I still quilted it in for extra stability. Sorry, but I don't really have an answer to your question.

Comment

What a great thing you are doing for the feral cats that pass your way. That little pet igloo is so very, very cute & will be good protection for them in these cold months coming up.

Comment

Working...
                              X