Sharing my Quilts, Day TWO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing my Quilts, Day TWO

When I got settled into my new home (and sewing space) I found out a high school friend of one of my sons was serving his THIRD tour in Afghanistan. I'd been considering Quilts of Valor at the time, but in doing a little research discovered THEY decide where the quilt goes. I wanted it a little more personal than that. And I wanted to bless Kelly (the soldier), and let him know he was being thought of (and prayed for) at home. So, I made him this quilt. It's a Double Slice Layer Cake, ! I did the FMQ'ing myself on my home machine. Rough, don't look too closely. 😉 Kelly was deeply moved, and sent me a picture of the quilt on his bunk....over there! I shared this quilt story with my Quilty Sisters here on the Forum, and several of them expressed interest in doing the same. I coordinated with Kelly, and soon he started receiving care packages with quilts and goodies for the group. (Quilters are such a special, loving, wonderful group!!)

Fast forward to the beginning of this year, I got an email from Kelly. He was ready to retire, and was doing his last "tour" in Upstate NY, without his family. He was living with a couple that "hosted" him for the year because this assignment didn't come with base housing. Kelly asked me to make them a quilt as a very special Thank You for all they'd done for him during that year. I was able to make this Curved Log Cabin in Patriotic Prints for them and get it finished and delivered to them the week Kelly retired and came home to Washington State. I considered it such and honor to be asked to do this for him! He sent me a picture they took in their home when they got it. This quilt means so much to them and to Kelly, and they have no idea how much it means to me!

Kelly did retire, and planned a retirement get together but Covid got in the way. We're going to do it, someday, and I'll be able to give him (and his awesome wife, who I've never met!) a well deserved hug and thanks for their sacrifice for our Country. In the meantime.....Kelly's Quilts 😊
    sigpic~~Libby~~

Quilters make great comforters.

Friendship is sewn with love and measured by kindness.

Love seeing your beautiful quilts and the stories that go with each one you are very generous with your time and talent!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

Comment

Inspiring quilts and an inspiring story! Thanks for sharing.

Rob
      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
      --Ken Burns

Comment

Oh i love those. i am so very partial to patriotic quilts. Always have been. they are lovely!

Comment

What beautiful quilts and heartwarming stories today, Libby. Thank you so much!
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

I love patriotic quilts. What a wonderful gift to receive. Nothing says appreciated like being sent a picture of the quilt on the bed. Fantastic work.

Comment

I love it!! My three sons are in the Army. My twins national guard and my oldest Active duty. That's wonderful you supported him and gave him a piece of home while he was gone! Beautiful work. I really like the curved log cabin.

Comment

Our guild has a QOV group. They present patriotic quilts to various veterans, usually in Nov. Your quilts are wonderful.

Comment

A beautiful quilt for your soldier. Thankful that he is home safe and hopefully you see him soon.

Thanks for showing the quilts today. I love QOV and would like to make one someday soon.

Comment

How wonderful that you were able to get the quilt to that young man and that he appreciates it that much. I love both of them.
                    Carlie

Comment

So happy you were able to supply Kelly with a quilt from home. I know that quilts to our soldiers is such a blessing for them. And then to turn around & make one for Kelly's host family here in the states. Acts of kindness like that will never be forgotten. I know you are looking forward to his retirement get together. Hope it will be soon. Thank you so much for sharing this warm story & your beautiful quilts today.

Comment

WOW brought a tear to my eyes. WOW!!
                        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Oh I love this story. I have a special place in my heart for our veterans. The quilt is just perfect in every way. I hope you are able to get together with him and his wife soon.

Comment

Love the quilts and the stories. Kelly really does appreciate your quilt! Heartwarming.
                            Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

I love that you found your very own special charity to donate to. This seems like it would be much more fulfilling than letting someone else distribute your beauties. How wonderful of you for your quilty hugs.
                              Walk in peace with the Lord by your side.
                              Terry

Comment

Working...
                              X