Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Our Quilts ~Thursday

Hello Everyone =)
    This first quilt to show you was a rescued quilt from a thrift store, about 2 years ago. Someone had started a quilt but must've become discouraged or overwhelmed with it. It has to be the heaviest quilt I have ever encountered. I didn't think it was beautiful , and I didn't need a quilt, but something about it being unfinished bothered me. In hindsight i don't know what I was thinking or planning for it, but I bought it. It must have sat on a shelf for a few months before I even tried to fix it up. It was all very large floral squares. So much floral together that it was overwhelming to looking at . I thought separating the squares with some strips across them would help and it did. I used what I had at the time, but looking at it now, I think darker strips would have been better. When I turned it over , I gave the the 2nd side a clean white slate of fabric and added some Dresdens to it, and some rhombus accents. When I finished the quilt, I could not think of anyone to match it up to. So I donated it back to the thrift store. It must've been some sort of quilting planets crossing with the moon, as it felt a bit mad to do all that work and donate it back. Maybe the person who was overwhelmed with it , bought it back , or the staff liked it. I never did see it out on their racks for sale. Thought I would show a salvaged quilt tho' in honesty it does not "feel" like one of mine.

thrift store quilt salvaged.JPG Thrift store salvaged given a new side.JPG

This is my autumn quilt. Autumn is my favorite time of year. This one I keep for myself. The 2nd side is charm squares and the narrowest binding I have ever done.
    my autumn quilt side 1.JPG my autumn quilt oct 2018.JPG
    2 Christmases ago , I watched Jenny's ZigZag runner tutorial. I have watched it so many times, I think I know it by heart. I just found it so funny and endearing , when she said "it's like wrestling an elephant...or something." My aunt Jocelyn loves blue , and I think Christmas is her favorite holiday. I made her this runner, hoping snowflakes made it more a winter runner than just a holiday one. I started to make myself one with holly fabric. I finished the charm squares and sewed those together, but mine remains unfinished still. Sometimes when the momentum fades, I find it hard to go back to a project and finish it. I am happy I finished Jocelyn's. She sent me this picture of it on her coffee table.
    Blue Zigzag Christmas runner.jpg
    When we bought this house 2 and a half years ago, I wanted to make a Christmas quilt to display in the front room on the chaise loungers. Since I had made a nice autumn quilt for myself, I was feeling like I could make a quilt for each of the seasons. Spring and summer never came to be as a quilt yet. I started making this quilt, and even tho' I liked the look of it , it didn't feel like I was going to be seeing it on display for the holidays when all the family would be here. This house has less bedrooms than our old house had, so Jack decided to partition off a part of the basement into a room that could be used as bedroom. Jack is awesome for dealing with red tape , office stuff, organizing parties, meetings, etc. Handyman wise he was not so gifted. But he is resourceful. He hired one of his co-workers from the base to help him build it in the evenings after work and on weekends. Mike is a really hard worker and was a god send. He noticed the quilt I was making and liked it. He said his wife was after hearing about something that was a new , called a "weighted blanket" and she thought a weighted blanket might be something she hoped could help her sleep better at night.
    A few months earlier, the military house Mike was living in with his family had caught fire. Jack being his boss was called in the middle of the night to go assist them in finding a place to stay. The fire burnt out the kitchen but not the whole house. I remember Jack telling me what a real nice family they are, and the little boy was sitting with a firemen in the firetruck. I had not meet them myself , but I remembered who Mike was when he came to help Jack build the room. When he told me his wife has trouble sleeping, I looked at the quilt, and finally knew who it was meant for. So the second side is the side that was made with her in mind. There was a few nights when she was sick and so was their little boy, Jack thought Mike would stay home those nights. But Mike came, he said his wife told to go ahead , since she and their son would just be resting in bed, not to leave Jack stuck with the work. She remembered Jack from the night of the fire. Jack really wanted to have the room finished for Christmas. They did an excellent job of it . They had run out of something , and Jack went out to get more. I went down stairs to speak to Mike as I knew it was his last night working on the room, it was finished. I told him how much I appreciated his helping Jack, and how much I appreciated not having a duct tape room ( just kidding ...I don't think anyone really makes duct tape rooms) . I said to show my appreciation , I would like to give him the Christmas quilt. That it is his, and if he decided to re-gift then the gift would be coming from him, not me. He was quite surprised . Funny how some quilts, we just know are not for us , when we start making them.
    christmas side 1.JPG christmas side 2.JPG The quilt I did make for us , was a winter quilt. I really enjoyed making this quilt. Madelyn and Reggie were coming for Christmas , their first Christmas with us, so I wanted a nice quilt to put on the guest bed for them, so I went with her favorite colors of grey and white. The 2nd side is fleece. I sewed it on with the sewing machine. I love the softness of fleece but never used it for a quilt before. There must be a trick to sewing with fleece, but I don't know what it is. I found it hard work to make the 2nd side of a quilt. I do like how it feels , and like the weight of it. It feels like a winter quilt.
    Winter quilt side 1.JPG Winter quilt side 2.JPG
    This last quilt was made for a lovely receptionist named Sarah at the animal hospital. I love purple. Her birthday is on Halloween.
    Purple and white fence rail.JPG
    I want to thank every one for a remarkable week . Showing my quilts here has been such a pleasure. All the kind feedback , has been encouraging , and appreciated. It has shown me my quilts thru the eyes of others.
    Stay safe, healthy and happy =)

Thank you so much for showing us your unique and beautiful quilts as well as your memories of making them. One of the things I enjoy most about this sharing project is getting to know each other better. I feel blessed to be part of this special group. You did a great job, Madonna.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thank you so much for your giving and sharing heart and quilts!
      No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
      Aesop

Comment

Thank you for a great showing of your work. I enjoyed hearing about how your quilts came to be.
        If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

What an awesome show, thank you for sharing your quilts and stories with us.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Another day of pretty quilts and great stories! Thanks for sharing these past few days!
            ~ Carol from PA

Comment

I agree, another day of very pretty quilts and wonderful stories. Thanks!
              Carlie

Comment

Thank you for sharing all your beautiful work.

Comment

Madonna,

Thank you for a gorgeous quilt show. Each one shows such personality and has a story to tell. As you mentioned, some quilts don't have a specific home when we work on them. At some point they do reveal their owners to us. Your gifts of quilts certainly touch those lives with love. Thanks again for sharing your quilt journey.

Comment

Thanks so much for the beautiful show of your quilts and the heartfelt stories that go along with them. I have enjoyed both.

Comment

What a joy it must have been for Mike & his wife to receive the Christmas quilt from you. Not all quilts appeal to us but there is always someone special that they were just truly meant for & it sounds like you found the perfect family for your Christmas quilt.
                      I never considered red & grey & white together but they are so soothing & comfortable together. I'm sure Madelyn & Reggie were thrilled to see that quilt on their bed.
                      Sarah had to be thrilled to get that pretty purple quilt.
                      Thank you for your love of people & for blessing them with you quilts of love. This week of show quilts has been very special & your stories behind each quilt has been so uplifting to me.

Comment

Madonna,

On your first day you said I would be a tough act to follow. Not only did you follow me well, you far exceeded anything I could offer. Today's showing just cements that fact. I love all the quilts, and I especially love the fact that not only do you rescue minpins, but quilts as well! Your stories are equal in beauty to your quilts. Well done!

Rob
                        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                        --Ken Burns

Comment

Oh those are all lovely. you have been very very very busy!!

Comment

You have such a big heart Madonna...and a real talent for quilting! Thanks for sharing not only your quilts, your stories, but a piece of your life and family as well.
                            Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

A week has passed and we have enjoyed your magnificent quilts and your unique stories, thank you and I hope to continue seeing their fantastic works.

Comment

Working...
                              X