Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Our Quilts ~Tuesday

Good Morning Everyone =)
    I was going to show some dog quilts for donations I had made but the following quilts appeal to me to night. I like this first one. Louise the lady that runs the Minpinerie dog rescue, was talking to me about her mother one evening, about what a great mother she has. Louise's birthday is Feb 9th like my mother's was, and that's how we started talking about moms. Louise's mother is the old style french lady, who always dressed beautifully , very lady like. She loves scarves and dresses and heels and hats. I asked Louise her mom's favorite season, and it is summer. She loves flowers , cottages by the lake and sunny colors. Her mother is a nursing home now. I decided to make such a wonderful mother a laptop quilt. When it was finished I told Louise it is a gift to her because of her sharing such nice stories about her mother , that I felt like I knew her. Louise planned to gift it to her mother but the virus had become known and the nursing homes were closing to visitors. Louise said her sister cried when she saw the little quilt. At the time I made it, I didn't know the mother was in a wheel chair, and it is luck that it is the right size for that. It keeps her warm, and it cheers her to touch it. When Louise's sister took the quilt to the mother, the staff took pictures , because the sister was on the outside of the window looking in. Sometimes we feel moved to do something and with no real idea how much it will come to mean to someone later on. Now a lady who has been beautiful all her life , can still feel beautiful .
    Summer birds quilts side 1.JPG Summer birds lap quilt side 2.JPG The 2nd side is patches of flowers, and a piece of fabric with an embroidery cottage that feels different from the cotton fabrics. Louise says her mother enjoys the tactile differences.
    My son Reggie expects his 1st child to be born this month and they are naming her Andraia . I recently made this baby quilt for her. I have posted this recently but felt it was worth putting here again.
    Andraia's baby quilt side 1.JPG Andraia's baby quilt side 2.JPG
    I have a younger brother Carl, who has a birthday coming up on the 17th. Last year I made him this quilt. I had to ask the measurements of his bed as he lives in an 18 wheeler that he drives all over the states. He used to live in Vegas. When we were brought to Canada , he was 4 and I was 10. So he has lived the largest part of his life in Canada. When he was 8 and I was 12, we lived in a condemned small house in a community that had catholics on one side of a deep rock cut near the ocean and the protestants lived on the other side. My mom was a divorced catholic so we were shunned and treated badly there. The house was awful. One winter night wharf rats ate their way into that house, and jumped up on the bed I was in trying to keep warm in, under an old quilt and a few coats. My brother Carl and I have always had a connection, one that sometimes doesn't need words. 3 or 4 rats had jumped up on the bed . That had me more scared than any deer in the headlights. I couldn't move and worse yet I couldn't talk and was trying to call for help. Somehow Carl an 8 year boy knew , and came running with a hockey stick. Well he never went on to make it as a hockey player despite his excellent slap shots that night. Despite my mothers hope her sons would never have to be in the American military, they both left Canada and returned to serve. Carl in the Army and Steve in the Marines. Carl has always cherished any quilt I made for him and kept every one over the years. It has to be hard living in a truck and having a narrow bed. So I made him this quilt. I asked what side he liked best, I had thought it would be the blue charm squares. He loves the Canadian side best. When I made this quilt, I added to it pieces of fabric that were the same as I had used on each of my kids quilts, a killer whale from Lisa's quilt. A strip of sunflower fabric from Reggie's quilt, and the geese and maple leaf from Tony's quilt. This means a great deal to Carl. I even added some crows from fabric that I love from my autumn quilt. Carl will be 60 . Even tho it has been 52 years since he slapped shot the wharf rats, he still is my little brother.
    Carl's quilt side 2.JPG Carl's quilt side 1.JPG
    This is a picture of my Ella , a mini pin who was left by 2 owners before me, in an apt. alone and abandoned when they moved out . A neighbor heard her crying and broke in , to rescue her. When he had to move and couldn't find a pet friendly apt, Ella came be my dog. She is a wonderful dog and this is her quilt. Ella and her quilt.JPG
    We have a rescue dog from the Minpinerie , I have mentioned her before . This is MaBelle and her quilt. She is an energetic dog so red seemed a good color for her. I think she is bilingual as she understands what is said to her in french or english.MaBelle and her quilt side 2.JPG MaBelle and her quilt side 1.JPG
    10 pictures is easy to do when showing 2 sides. I have one space left so hoping Louise does not mind my sharing her mom's picture, I will add it here, as a closing for the opening picture. Louise's Mother 1.jpg
    Quilts give happiness to us in the giving of them. I know a lot of spouses say " what you are giving them away ? " lol. But my response is always "If I had to make a quilt to sell it, there wouldn't be enough money in the world to merit the time and thought." Here on the MSQC forum, I have found "my people" because you understand and live this sentiment too.
    Stay safe , healthy and happy.
    Attached Files

Your quilts are beautiful,but so is your heart.

Comment

What you give of yourself comes back ten fold, you will truly be blessed with your giving heart.i have enjoyed seeing each of your quilts you've shared and hearing about how they came to be. You have brought much joy to those you love.
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Thank you soooo much! The stories behind the quilts are amazing! You have a big heart and Iā€™m blessed by your sharing ā£ļø
        šŸ’« Star lover

Comment

WOW amazing.
          Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Another day of beautiful, inspirational quilts. Thank you for the stories behind them too.
            Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Your quilts warm my heart, but your stories inspire me to continue quilting. Like you I rarely sell quilts, I make them sometimes with no particular person in mind. Then their future quilt owners reveal themselves to me, and I enjoy knowing that the quilt will carry that love to the person who needs it.
              What a terrible time that you lived as a child. There is truth in that what doesnt kill you makes you stronger. I can feel your strength.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Madonna...you are one of the most kindest, selfless and giving people I know. All week long you have touched my soul. Thank you!! I did the craft fair thing a few times and made and sold stained glass projects by order for a while. I stopped because it was too hard to watch people haggle with me at what were already cheap prices. I didn't have joy in that, and like you I put love, heart and soul into everything I make. I'd rather give them with love to family and friends.
                Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! šŸ˜

Comment

Your quilts each day have been beautiful! And thanks for the stories that go with each of them.
                  ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Thank you for sharing such beautiful quilts and beautiful stories.

Comment

Madonna,

I dont know what to say. I grew up poor with a single mother (albeit not by her choice), but we never had rats on the bed (although Mom opened a cabinet once and came face to face with a rat, but that was a one-time thing). Your story just proves that the human heart can be self-healing. It's so easy, and understandable, for someone to be bitter after such an experience, and I'm sure you struggled at times not to be, but you chose brightness and sunshine instead of despair. It shows both in the quilts you create and the life you chose for yourself. You are an inspiration as is your work. I'm happy that our paths have crossed. I am a better person for knowing you.

Rob
                      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                      --Ken Burns

Comment

I don't know what to say. Catholic schools and communities teach you let criticisms and such bounce off. It is the every day fare of life. However kindness is not something we are ever prepared for , and so it totally unravels me. I appreciate so much, all the kind words here. I can't begin to tell everyone how touched I am at the responses. I think it is seeing myself thru others eyes that surprises me so. I look in the mirror of soul reflection and all I see is a sarcastic bugs bunny person. A few days ago I wrote about my aunt Jocelyn. I spoke to her on the phone and suggested she go read it on the forums. I just wanted her to see all the kind words and prayers people had for her. I assumed she sees herself the way I see her. The forum thread that made her cry. She hadn't looked at herself the way we see her.
                        A single mom back then never had it easy. Rats are terrible things. I think that is why I love mini pins so much . They were bred in Germany to be rat killers. I sleep a lot better with a mini pin or 2 on my bed. I have my bitter days, but stubborn stars guide me. I don't envy your mom finding a rat in the cupboard. I am glad you showed her picture last week as she came to mind visually when I read your post. Single moms back then had so much more to deal with , than just raising children. I am glad you had a good mom. =) Thank you for the lovely things you have said.

Comment

What beautiful quilts again, and the stories that go with them are beautiful as well. I grew up in a home where we didn't have that much but I have to say that we never knew it. What my parents couldn't get us my grandparents did (my mom was an only child so we did get spoiled a little, especially me because I was my grandmother's favorite being the oldest). I do agree 100% on the value of quilts, to me you cannot put a price on the love, prayers and time (planning and sewing) that goes into a quilt. Again, beautiful quilts!
                          Carlie

Comment

Your quilts have never disappointed this week & I love each & every one. Today I am most touched by the story & quilt about Louise's mother. How kind of you to help someone you don't even know to feel loved, special & wonderful. So many have been blessed by what you have done for them over the years.

Thank you so much for sharing your quilts, stories & life with us this past week. I have learned how to be a better person by knowing you & have seen through you how a kind, caring, generous, loving, & compassionate person can change others & the world. I've lived 77 years & have never known anyone like you. I knew a co-worker who I thought was extra ordinary when it came to loving others but now that I know you, I realize she doesn't even compare. You have been a blessing to me at this time in my life when I need a blessing & when I needed to know that all mankind is not angry & mean & bitter.

Comment

Wonderful quilts & stories! I've enjoyed them all. I don't remember ever selling a quilt either. I give for the joy of giving & seeing the smiles on others' faces. I sometimes pray about which quilt I should give to whom. I think one gets a feeling about that. I try to follow those feelings. Quilting is a very giving & rewarding hobby. You've blessed many lives.
                              Last edited by JCY; October 13, 2020, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X