Sharing Our Quilts ~Monday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Our Quilts ~Monday

Hello Everyone =) Again my thanks for such wonderful feedback for yesterday's pictures.
    My quilts today are quilts that were made as gifts . My son Tony was going to his friend Aaron's wedding in Nova Scotia. He asked me if I could make them a quilt as wedding gift for him to give them. They had seen his old blue quilt and really liked it. The grooms favorite colors were red and blue, the brides was purple and green. For whatever reason my camera was contrary that day because the picture comes out looking like I made it in pink. The actual color is a really rich deep red. They were very happy with the quilt and put it on their bed just before the wedding ceremony. They sent Tony a lovely thank you card. Much to my surprise they sent me a card as well, enclosing beautiful wedding pictures of them with Tony.
    My son is tall handsome red head with blue eyes. He looks a lot like Prince William. That may be why I like Prince William.
    Aaron's quilt 1.JPG Aaron's quilt 2.JPG
    A few years ago we had a wonderful mini pin named Bogart. When a neighbor poisoned my dogs, our vet Dr. Olga Peck was very kind to Bogart. For quite a few months she kept him going on medications but he just couldn't totally recover and we had to let him go. When Dr. Peck first started treating Bogart we asked her favorite color. When I began the quilt I was ever so happy she saved him. I had no idea at the time we would lose him soon afterwards. By the time I finished the quilt, he was gone. My appreciation wasn't , and so I gave her the quilt and told her it was from the dogs. The flowers along the sides were all handstitched around the blooms to make them stand out. She was quite touched to be given a quilt, and asked a lot of questions about it, how long did it take to make, how to care for it , etc. If you have ever watched a show called "Bones". She looks just like the leading lady in that. The 2nd side is mice at a bistro. I handstitched everything on that panel , even around every cobble stone etc.
    Dr Peck's quilt side 2.JPG Dr Peck's quilt side 1.JPG
    Around the same time my other dog Baja was blind and old , her eyes were getting worse. The other vet at the same animal hospital took care of Baja at the end, and so I made Dr. Stephanie a quilt as well. It was a hard summer. The first side was panels of wild game birds. The 2nd side I was quite carried away with scraps of fabric , and it seems quite busy. It was the one time I hadn't asked someone their favorite colors. Because I don't know her very well, I think that may explain the guess work of what I was putting together, lol.
    Dr Stephanie's quilt side 1.JPG Dr Stephanie's quilt side 2.JPG
    The lady that runs the Minpinerie dog rescue is named Louise. I had donated a half dozen dog quilts ( tomorrow's pictures) , that she really liked. She said they were so nice that she wished she could keep one, if only there had been a burgundy one with her name on. So I made her a lap quilt , and used burgundy also to make the mini pin appliques on it. I used decorative stitching to put her name on it. Her house decor is burgundys and greys. Jack always delivers quilts I make if they are within driving distance. He drove the 3 hours to Ottawa. When I make someone a quilt, I always ask if they would send me a picture of it with their dog on it , or the quilt on their bed . Jack when he delivers quilts, goes one step further by asking for a picture while he is there to take it, lol. He knows I would like to know the reaction and feelings expressed. Her dog loved the quilt too. The second side is the panel of flowers and fruit that are hard to see in the picture, but they were brighter than the camera shows. This quilt means a lot to her. She even noticed that only one dog applique has a tail. She had told me once of her 4 dogs over the years only one ever had a tail.
    Louise and her minpin.jpg Louise's mini pin quilt.JPG Louise's mini pin quilt side 2.JPG
    The 2nd picture and 3rd pictures are ones I had taken before sending Louise her quilt. The dog in the 2nd picture is our MaBelle. Louise had named her Sweety before we adopted her but Jack preferred MaBelle. Like Jack, Louise is french. I explained it wasn't Mabel in english , but french for "my Beautiful" . She liked that better.
    This last dog quilt was made for another volunteer named Amy, a lovely young woman who adopted Romy . I made his quilt to look as much like him as possible. She sent me this picture of him with his quilt. I made the color choice based upon her living room colors.
    Romy likes his quilt.jpg

Have a really good day. Please stay safe , healthy and happy.

Attached Files

PS I forgot to say Dr. Peck's favorite color is Lime.

Comment

Madonna, your quilts are amazing. Iā€™m so happy you are sharing them with is. Thank you for another wonderful showing!
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Yes I agree, Barb, another great showing indeed.
        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I'm amazed at all the unique blocks & quilts you've made. Love the stories behind them. Thanks again for sharing.

Comment

Wow, your quilts are amazing, and what wonderful stories, thanks for sharing!!!

Comment

Wow your quilts are beautiful - and isn't it more gratifying and fun to make a quilt for someone you love. Its really not a chore but a labour of love.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Beautiful quilts filled with loving stitches.Love the quilt picture with the doggies too. Thanks for the quilt show today!

Comment

Another wonderful day of sharing. And all those on the receiving end of your beautiful work I am sure are in awe of your talent
                  Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

More amazing quilts and stories! Madonna...you have taught me so much this week. Quilts, people, life...they aren't about precision and perfection...they are special in their own organic forms...to be treasured as they are. To be celebrated with love, kindness, appreciation and acceptance. To cherish every last piece of fabric as if it were gold. Your quilting style is very different than mine, but you've taught me to let loose a bit, relax, enjoy the process of quilting and not be so hung up on imperfect end results.

I am going to take that fall wreath that I made for my sweet, dear mama and hang it on her door. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. She may just love it. If not, I will hang my creation on my door in pride...because I made it to the best of my abilities at the time.

Thank you Madonna...for sharing your amazing quilts, stories, and kindness and for teaching me a thing or two about life. Ok...tears flowing again. You've made me leak! lol. Big hug to you, sweet soul! šŸ’–
                    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! šŸ˜

Comment

How anyone could be so low as to knowingly poison a helpless and trusting animal just makes me cry and curse our society. Yet, when I look at your quilts, and read how you turned a terrible tragedy into an example of love and decency it makes me feel so much better. It's not just the quilts, but the message that's behind them that gives me hope for what Mark Twain referred to as "The ****ed Human Race." Beautiful job!

Rob
                      There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                      --Ken Burns

Comment

Beautiful & inspiring quilts again today! Thank you so much for your love of family, friends & mankind. We need more people in the world like you & your family. So much love & detail go into each & every one of your quilts. Your stories behind each is so heartwarming. I like to find out favorite colors of the ones I make quilts for also but you go beyond that & it makes the quilt even more loved & special. Thanks for another great show of quilts.

Comment

Madonna, you are a such a thoughtful, caring soul. I'm gonna give you a repeat of the nicest thing someone once told me: You have the soul of a poet. In words & fabric. Love! Love! Love the stories that you show with your quilts. Fabulous showing today. Gina

Comment

Rob...
                            For the most part I have to agree with Mark Twain. My kindness was to those that showed it to my dogs. If it were a movie maybe the back of my dress would have ripped open and wings popped out, or maybe a shiny disc would appear as to highlight my head, but alas the reality is I despaired over losing my dogs. No matter who told me it is a kindness to end a dog's misery, I could not shake the feeling I was the worlds biggest Illegitimate rodent, paying someone to kill my dogs. Did I refrain from cursing the poisoner to the dirt? Nope > I invented new curses ! I have a cute little thing of Snoopy in the penalty box , I assume for cursing. It reminds me how I felt about the person who poisons dogs. When I heard the tests showed poisoning, I put on my shoes and walked around the neighborhood to warn every dog owner in person. All except one was glad of a heads up. I even discovered others had very sick dogs and didn't know what was wrong with them. One guy said he was sure his dog had been poisoned but couldn't see how since his dog is with him on walks and always safe in their fenced yard. I thought mine were safe in our fenced yard as well. Every one asked how Bogart was, and thanked me for the heads up so they could be extra careful of their dogs. The one exception was the woman our neighbor on the other side of our fence. Let's just say her mask dropped. She thought when I knocked on her door it was to confront her and she gave herself away in her words and actions . We sold our house , and moved. Curse her, I still do. A kind heart does not curse others. I despise those that abuse, murder and bully the weak. I just about run outside and shake my fist at heaven " where's those lightning bolts for those illegitimate rodents ? " I am smart enough there would be one lightning bolt , and I would have fuzzy hair , lol. penalty box.gif

Comment

Madonna,

I love that Snoopy GIF.

The sad truth is that some people just insist on being evil. I guess if everyone was nice the world would be a much better place, but we wouldn't really appreciate the kindness since we'd have nothing to compare it to. It really is a double-edged sword. When Mom died, I took a line from Garth Brooks and said that while we all would have loved to be able to miss Mom's illness, in doing so we would have missed the beautiful dance that was her life. It hurts, but sometimes it just does.

Rob
                              There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                              --Ken Burns

Comment

Working...
                              X