Sharing Our quilts ~Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Our quilts ~Sunday

Hello Everyone =) and thank you again for all the lovely comments yesterday. They are very much appreciated.
    I thought I would show 5 more quilts made for family. Jack has 3 sisters who live in Lac Megantic, Quebec. It is their home town. Jack hasn't been back there since his mother passed away. I have been there once to visit when we were first married. It is a town like something out of a story book, quite beautiful. I just loved that the little take out had bottles of Pepsi in the old time coolers of cold water. A flash from the past for me. On July 6th, 2013, a runaway train of tanker cars of crude oil jumped the tracks in the center of their lovely town , causing a fire to equal that of hell. My sister in law Louise called us in the middle of the night to say they were alive, and to tell us about the fire happening . We turned on the big screen and I was shocked at what we were seeing there.
    I am fortunate to have such nice sisters-in-law. The year I discovered MSQC, Jack told them about my quilts. I asked him to ask their favorite colors. It was so I would know in the future when ever I decided to make them a quilt, what they would like best. Jack told that I was making them quilts each for Christmas. I was committed then, lol. That was in Oct. That gave 3 months to make 3 quilts .The 1st quilt I made was for Louise, a fiery Leo lion with a very kind and wise heart. Her favorite color is red. Pink and red are my least favorite colors, and I find it harder to work with colors that don't appeal to me. Keeping the person in mind I am making the quilt for, really helps it evolve. I had just received a half hexy ruler from MSQC and you will see I had a lot of fun with it. A week or 2 before I started the quilts I had lucked into some pieces of fabric that reminded me of Lac Megantic. I needed 3 , but 2 was all I had. This is side 1 and side 2 of Louise's quilt.
    Louise 9.JPG Louise 3.JPG
    Claire is a very quiet Pisces, a very gentle person. her favorite colors are purple and green. These are both sides of her quilt. Claire's quilt side one.JPG Claire's quilt side 2 a.JPG
    Suzanne is the assertive sister, and like her whole family , a very nice person. She likes pink and green. As I was snipping a stray thread , I was overtired , and made the mistake of accidently snipping into the quilt. I tried to repair it with stitches but it was like an ugly cocoon type mistake. So the butterfly all by itself is why it is the only one on the quilt. As life would have it, of all the details hand stitched in the panels, it is that lone butterfly that caught her attention.
    Suzanne's quilt side 1.JPG Suzanne's quilt side 2 a.JPG Luckily I actually finished all the quilts before Christmas.
    My mother was the first daughter in a family of 10. She was a Newfoundlander before the island joined Canada. She had 4 sisters. There only 2 left now. Jocelyn and Gladys. If you have read "Angela's Ashes " or seen the movie, you will have a very good picture of my coming to Canada. Newfoundland is no easy place to live in. Gladys lives outside of town in a place where she is more likely to see moose than to see other people. Luckily she likes moose even tho one chased her up into a tree. It has to be adrenaline that gets a senior that smokes into a tree so quickly. Luckily she had her cigs in her pocket so she could wait it out until the moose went his own way. On a symbolic level , moose represent being able to survive , no matter what life throws at you. It is definitely her spirit animal as well as her neighbors physically. So her quilt was made with her and with the moose in mind. For few years they lived not far from a dump and she actually took in a number of cats that people had dropped off at the dump to die. The second side of her quilt is about that time when cats were in her life after all the kids were grown and moved out on their own.
    Gladys side2.JPG Gladys side 1.JPG
    I saved my favorite person for the last pictures. Jocelyn is my aunt tho' she is 2 years younger than I am. She is the same age as Jenny Doan and her favorite colors are blue (s) as well. Jocelyn has the most beautiful blue eyes. The only person with eyes a bit more beautiful is the queen. Out of all the family and relatives my mother had, when Mom passed away, only one door opened to me and gave a place to stay for the funeral. That was Jocelyn's door. I have not forgotten that kindness and never will. Jocelyn is the only person who makes quilts in my mother's family . Jocelyn is the only person who also attends all weddings , funerals, wakes and , and she always visits the sick , the hospitals etc. Every year she attends every grave yard mass for her desceased siblings and parents. All thru' the year she takes care of all their graves, and they are not all in the same grave yards. She doesn't know how many quilts she has made over the years but it is in the hundreds. Every single one of them was a gift. Jocelyn is one of those people who are beautiful inside and out. Making a quilt to reflect that was a a lot to hope for , but I tried. I also made her a quilt because she doesn't give away a gift given to her. She has been known to take her own quilt off of her bed and give it away.
    Jocelyn's health has not been the best the last 2 years, and with the typical Newfoundland bad health care, she has yet to be given a reason for her cross to bear. She is being given the "Fall in the Cracks " treatment. The doctor says go to the hospital , the hospital says see your doctor, and both hope you fall in the cracks and just leave them alone. If you have a few moments when you pray , a thought for Jocelyn would be much appreciated. She needs to be back up to good health so she can make more beautiful quilts. Saying a prayer for another is like saying 10 for yourself, it does come back to you.
    These are both sides of Jocelyn's quilt.
    Jocelyn's quilt side1.JPG Jocelyn's quilt side 2.JPG
    Thank you for looking at my quilts and sharing in the thoughts of those they were made for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzWVSx_crUY
    MAC27_LAC_MEGANTIC06-AFT.jpg

Comment

Wow...I’m particularly taken with Jocelyn’s quilt. Is that a panel in the middle, or something you pieced? Either way, beautiful work. Thank you for sharing!

Comment

You, too, are a beautiful person...as are your quilts.

Comment

Your quilts are so much piecing? Are these patterns you make up as your sewing. It's amazing you got those done. It's like making 6 quilts instead of three. Prayers for your aunt, I hope her health improves.

Comment

WOW such beauty and wonderful stories to go with each one.
            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

Thank you for sharing your quilts and your family with us again today. Your work is beautiful. Aunt Jocelyn sounds like a truly beautiful soul. Your blue quilt is lovely.
              sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

The quilts you shared today are amazing, so much piecing in them and yet you managed to get all your quilts done in time to be gifted for Christmas.

I enjoyed hearing about the recipients of your quilts.

If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Gorgeous quilts. I, too, particularly love the blue one!
                  Carlie

Comment

Fabulous quilts again today. The one for your aunt captures her beautiful and giving spirit. A prayer that she may have comfort as she has given to others. Thanks for the wonderful stories of your quilts!

Comment

All of these quilts are fabulous and so detailed. I loved reading your stories about each. I must admit that Joycelyn's quilt took my breath away. I was also moved by watching the story you posted of the disaster in that little town. Very sad in deed.

Comment

Thank you so much for the wonderful comments =) The center of Jocelyn's quilt is a panel but I hand stitched around each little square to make it look like I had done all that beautiful work lol.
                        There was no pattern , it was a case of what can fit here or there, and finding places for the squares of flowers to give it a wild flower effect , you never know where they will grow. Recently I bought the MSQC panel of flowers in green bottles, stitched all around the bottles and flowers and made it a wall hanging to send to her. She has been discouraged being sick so much. I knew it would cheer her up . I said it reminded me of when she was little, how she would search for wild flowers and put them in old bottles and cans. She wasn't allowed to cross the road to get water from the lake . No one cared where I went, so I used to run to the lake to get water for her flowers. She is very happy with the wall hanging tho' she uses it to adorn her recliner chair. I still can't believe I forgot to take a picture of it. The panels are back in stock and I ordered 4 more. Somethings shouldn't be gone forever from the shelves.
                        Jocelyn had made me a quilt, and I dearly loved the little things on the quilt. It seemed like every time I looked at it , there was something new. One day I was looking at it and I noticed a little red bird on it. All I could think was how did I not see that that before.

Comment

Madonna,

This is absolutely stunning! Of course, the blue ones are my favorite, but all of them are prime examples of beauty, both on the outside of the quilt and on the inside of the quilter. I am in awe!

Rob
                          There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                          --Ken Burns

Comment

I hand quilt and don't know how you were able to accomplish so many quilts in such a short period of time! The love you have for family must have given you extra time to get them all done. I still don't see how you are able to quilt two different quilts together and make them so unique. Thanks for sharing your talent and love of quilts (and family) with us.
                            No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                            Aesop

Comment

Beautiful quilts & wonderful stories. Thanks for sharing with us. All the quilt tops & backs are unique. I've never purposely made a quilt back with what could be another entire quilt top. What a lot of work! Blessings to you!

Comment

Working...
                              X