Sharing Our Quilts ~Saturday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Our Quilts ~Saturday

Thank you so much for yesterdays lovely feed back and sweet comments. It really made my day a very good one.
    Being it is the Canadian Thanksgiving weekend, today I wanted to show some family quilts I made, as I am most thankful for my family, and proud of them.
    My oldest son Tony is as proud to be a Canadian , as I am of being an American. Canadian pride is pretty quiet but Tony's pride is more like American pride , as he wears it every day, and it shows in all that he does. I had made him a quilt before he went to college and after all those years, it wore right out. The last quilt I will show will be the one I made before I discovered rulers and cutters etc. This first one tho' is one I made for him just before Canada day ( July 1st ) this year. It was awhile in coming together as I kept finding more panels that I wanted to add to the quilt I wanted to make for him. A piece of fabric here and there, Canadian fabrics at Fabricland, it all kept waiting for the day I actually started putting it together.
    We are a military family and we have had the pleasure of seeing all the provinces and crossing the country a few times. My youngest son, Reggie , loved a show called "Supernatural" and he bought a car and worked on it till it looked like the one in the show. Both sons took a drive across Canada in it. The quilt panels represents a lot of places they have seen. There is a lot of stitches and a lot of time and a ton of love and pride put into this quilt. Each square was hand stitched carefully outlining the picture details in a the same color thread as the picture showed. I loved the result as it gave it almost a 3d quality. When this quilt was finished , it weighed 15 lbs. Tony's favorite color is red. The border is a lumberjack type print, that I felt made it quite masculine.
    Tony's Canadian quilt.JPG This side one. The second side is all the scraps and assorted fabrics I wanted to make it as Canadian as possible. There are 6 maple leaves on this side, 6 being the number for harmony. This quilt is so big , that google maps should have it so you could see all the little things. Tony's Canadian quilt side 2.JPG
    This next quilt is one I made for my daughter Lisa, who dearly loves killer whales and Victoria B.C. We had been posted there for a few years. The native art in Victoria is quite beautiful , so I have squares similar to it on the second side of her quilt. Please excuse that pile of pillows, I threw them there to take a picture of the quilt. I took all these pictures never thinking anyone would see them other than myself and family. Lisa's killer whale quilt.JPG The second side here has a lot of hand stitching to emphasize the native art type animals in the center. I wish you could see all the gold threads highlighting them. Lisa's killer whale quilt side 2.JPG
    3 years ago I had made her a quilt because she likes cats. This is when I had discovered Jenny's tutorials and loved the "Pins and Paws" quilt. Lisa's pins and paws quilt.JPG The second side is different blocks I was learning to make. Lisa's pins and paws flip side.JPG This quilt was given to Tony's doberman pinscher Copper who also loves cats, after Lisa put her Orca quilt on her bed. It is Copper's traveling blanket in the back of my son's vehicle.
    Madelyn's quilt side 1.JPG My youngest son Reggie married a lovely lady , Madelyn, who is a joy to have in our family now. She is from the Philippines, where quilts are not essential things to have, like they are here in Canada. Her first Christmas was us , was very special. I made her this quilt. Her favorite colors are grey and white. She misses all the flowers and plants , so I tried to add some to the quilt to make it cheerful. At midnight when Christmas day started , everyone gets to pick one present , any present from other the tree that has their name on it. The quilt was a in a very large gift bag and you could see it was a quilt. She was chose that gift, took it out of the bag wrapped it around her and sat on the couch quite pleased to have it keep her warm. This is side 2 of that quilt. Madelyn's quilt side 2.JPG
    The green shamrock quilt is my youngest son Reggie's quilt. He wanted a quilt that was all one piece of the shamrock fabric he bought at JoAnn's store in NY a few years ago. So that's the second side of it. He does like the first side . I like it because it is not so overwhelmingly green. SAM_7779.JPG
    This last quilt is one I made for Tony a few years ago that I mentioned was before MSQC changed my quilting . Tony's hand sewn quilt old quilt.JPG It is all cut free hand and and all hand sewn. I show it because it reminds me how much I have learnt since then about quilting. I suggested he could donate it since he now has a Canadian quilt, but he said he is keeping it. He gets compliments about it and it still has a lot of use left in it. He likes this quilt a lot.
    I would like to say , that sometimes the absence of something speaks volumes , but not in this case. You do not see a quilt here for my husband because he wants to make his own. Jack has done 9 deployments for Canada. He has been around the world several times. I wanted to make him a quilt of Valor, as he is most deserving of one. He doesn't want a quilt to remind him of wars, but rather a quilt that reflects his travels, and the places he loves. So he is still collecting the fabrics for it. He retires next year and his quilt will come to be then. When he was in Afghanstan , Canada did a write about him . At the time the Pee Wee Herman bike seemed to really stand out for me, lol. I realize now it was my way of not dwelling upon where he was, and the daily danger that he and other serving members lived with. With your kind indulgence I would like to enclose a link to that write up , in the absence of a quilt ,to show how loved he is in our family.
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/postmaster-on...roops-1.401402
    Happy Thanksgiving Canada .

Beautiful work! Thanks for the stories, love them!! I enjoyed the show so much!

Comment

Madonna, thank you for the wonderful showing today! I love your creativity and your writing. The article about your husband and his special bike for delivering the mail was very entertaining. It must have been hard pedaling through all that sand!
      sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Amazing quilts! And I love hearing about how you decided what fabric to use in each one. So much thoughtfulness and love in each one.
        Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

All of your quilts are fabulous! And the stories that go with them are just as wonderful. You do such nice work, even for the backs of your quilts- two quilts in one! Thanks to your husband for his service. That's quite a story about his mail delivery. I'm sure he was much-loved by everyone there.
          ~ Carol from PA

Comment

Madonna,

Between Joy's wonderful news and today's show, I am feeling much better after last night. The quilts were exquisite, and the story about your husband was a bright ray of sunshine in an often darkened world. Thanks for letting us into a portion of your special world.

Rob
            There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
            --Ken Burns

Comment

What great quilts & the stories to go with them! I remember those days of cutting out quilt blocks with the scissors -- long before I knew anything about cutting mats & rotary cutters. Thanks for the link to the article about your DH. We'll be looking forward to seeing his quilt when it's done. Thanks to him for his military service. Three of our 4 sons were in the Air Force or the Navy, then later the National Guard for several yrs. We're proud of their service. One son had hearing loss, so was unable to qualify for the military, or he also would have served.

Comment

Beautiful works and stories to go with each. Thank you for sharing!
                Katrina
                “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

So much thought & loved went into each of your quilts. You are so special to make your quilts especially & specifically for each of your loved ones. Thank you so much for the link to the article about your husband. What a blessing he was to the troops while in Afghanstan!

Comment

Madonna, you have some of the most awesome quilts! Can't wait for the next show. Gina

Comment

Madonna...your double sided hand made quilts are amazing! I love how your children and pets adore them. Thanks for sharing hubby's story as well. So cool! I can't wait to see his quilt. Thanks to all of your family for their duty in keeping us Canadians safe and free! We are indebted to their service. Happy Thanksgiving to you all!!
                      Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Another WOW showing. Fabulous.
                        Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

I love the stories of the quilts for your family. Your quilts are beautiful and such reflections of each member. The article for your DH is priceless. One can imagine the smiles of the people waiting to hear the ring of the bicycle bell as they await delivery of letters. Thanks for sharing such precious and personal stories of your quilts.

PS: We can't wait to see DH's quilt!

Comment

Working...
                          X