Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Our Quilts ~Friday

Hello =)
    Rob is going to be a tough act to follow. I just love and appreciate quilts that follow a pattern and look perfect. I wish I could make those kinds of quilts.
    My quilts are far from a pattern or a set discipline of precision. I am an Aquarius, and the reason we have lightning bolts as our symbol is because that is as close as we can get to a straight line, our thoughts ( and ways ) are seeing so many possibilities we try to embrace more than one. When I first made a quilt, I was 17, and saw a quilt being made with nothing more than an old blanket, a pair of scissors , a needle and one spool of thread. Whatever scraps of fabrics from old clothes etc. could be found was what was sewn onto the blanket. This was back before recycling became popular. Both sides of the blanket were quilted. That was about 47 years ago.
    It wasn't until 3 or 4 years ago , I happened upon a MSQC quilting tutorial with Jenny. So I feel like a beginner quilter in many ways, because rulers, rotary cutter , precuts is a whole other world for me. So my ways of quilting is a combination of old and new habits coming together. There is a great deal of hand sewing in my quilts. The sewing machine is more for the making of squares etc. You will see in my pictures, a lot of side one and side 2 because my quilts are mostly reversible. if you feel like a new quilt, just flip over my quilt and there you go , a different quilt.
    In Australia a quilted blanket is called a "Wagga".
    Todays quilts were made for a lady who volunteers for the Minpinerie dog rescue. Her name is Rebecca, and she has adopted 3 senior rescue dogs. She wanted a quilt that reflected her love for her work that she does for the Minpinerie, and her personal dogs, a quilt that also was relaxing and representing the present for where she is now in her life journey.
    Rebecca's mini pin quilt side 1.JPG This is side one. I had just received my double wide Dresden ruler so side 2 is cream flannel with grey and white cotton Dresdens. Rebecca's mini pin quilt double wide dresdens side 2.JPG
    I made 3 dog quilts for her dogs Dante, Duke and Darwin. I wanted them to match her quilt. Dante's quilt.JPG This orange one is Dante's quilt. Duke's quilt.JPG The blue is Duke's quilt. Darwin's quilt.JPG The green is Darwin's quilt.
    I laid them out on top of Rebecca's quilt in this picture. 3 dog quilts reverse sides to match Rebecca's quilt.JPG Then I turned them over to show the mini pin side that matches Rebecca's quilt in this picture. 3 dog quilts to match Rebecca's quilt.JPG This is a picture I had taken , and since the limit of pictures is 10 , I can add on here one other quilt I had made for a rescue dog named Brenner, and show you both sides of it. Brenners quilt and chi friend quilt.JPG Brenner's is on the right side. The one on the left was a gift for the taco bell dog he was moving in with. Brenner's quilt side 2.JPG This is side 2 of his quilt.
    I do have some quilts I made for people too, lol. I will show them this week.
    Thank you for looking at my quilts =)
    Attached Files

WOW they are all beautiful.
    Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

These are wonderful quilts! I love that they are reversible, I never thought of that in my own quilts. I like how you can change the look just by flipping them over.

Definetly looking forward to seeing more of your work.
      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

I’m so excited to see more of your awesome work. Thank you, Madonna. Minipins are such a wonderful breed. I knew one named Lacey who was quite a little character as well as a great watch dog.
        sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Beautiful quilts. Looking forward to seeing more of your awesome work this week
          Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Madonna, this is absolutely amazing on so many levels. First, your quilts are both beautiful and well-constructed. Second, they go for such a worthy cause. I am deeply impressed with your display and can't wait to see more!

Rob
            There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
            --Ken Burns

Comment

Madonna, your work is amazing!

I had a Min Pin, Toffee. He was a handful, and jealous! Mercy, Howard couldn't even give me a kiss when he was around.
              Katrina
              “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Love them all and your two for one design. So smart! You have made such personal quilts for the rescuer and the rescues. All the little dogs are lucky ones to have their special quilt. Thanks for sharing them and your design process.

Comment

Love your quilts! I've only ever done one reversable and my OCD drove me crazy and it was kid size. It's a real talent!! Beautiful work.

Comment

What wonderful quilts. Love them all. You & Karen Brown would be kindred spirits. She likes to make backings that could be another entire quilt top. She uses up scraps that way. The gray & white dresdens are beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Such lovely feedback is very much appreciated. It's the first time my husband went to the forums to read, lol.

Comment

I cannot pick my favorite cos' all are so fantastic! And your DH should be very proud of your "showing". Great quilts & great work. Gina

Comment

I am in love with your dresdens! they are gorgeous!!

Comment

Thank you so much =) Those are made with the double wide Dresden ruler by "My sister and I " I just love them. 10 blades instead of 20 is awesome.

Comment

Madonna...you have made beautiful quilts full of love and kindness for a good cause. Your talents to do two sided quilts...I'm in awe! How do you do that?? I've been thinking about trying that for my bed quilt.
                              Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Working...
                              X