Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Our Quiilts Tuesday Rob and Cheryl

Good morning!

I think one of the greatest things that Cheryl did after she started quilting was to join the local quilt guild. Not only did she gain the knowledge that came from attending the meetings, she had access to numerous women who had quilted for many years. So I will start today's show with one of the first projects she did in the guild.

10-6 First Quilt.jpg
    I can't tell you much more about this, other than it currently hangs in our living room.

After Mom passed she left us a little bit of money. It wasn't much, but it was enough for us to do something we never had done before, which is to take a vacation for more than a day. I had always wanted to visit Gettysburg as well as Fallingwater (While I think Frank Lloyd Wright was a jerk, his architecture was amazing). Of course, we couldn't be in that area of Pennsylvania without visiting Lancaster County and the numerous quilt shops there. We visited the Old Country Store fabric shop, which was featured in the Better Homes and Gardens Shop Hop issue one year (which is how I had heard of it). At the time, Cheryl was into Thimbleberries quilts, so part of the fabric she bought went to make this quilt.
    10-6 Thimbleberries.jpg
    She didn't quite follow the pattern to the letter, but this was one of the first large quilts she ever attempted.

Blue and yellow are my favorite colors. One year when we went to Paducah, I found a kit that featured blue and yellow. The vendor wondered why we wasn't interested in buying the pattern that he so thoughtfully sold as an add-on to the fabric, instead of including it in the kit. I told him that we already had a pattern in mind and didn't want to spend the extra $9.95 over and above the $25 he was already charging for the fabric. Anyway, it took a few years but Cheryl eventually made this quilt out of that fabric.
    10-6-2020 Hunter Star.jpg
    Patsy looks forlorn because Cheryl had just given her a bath. Cheryl used the Hunter's Star Accuquilt die on this project.

If I had to pick, I would say that the Log Cabin block is my favorite, since it was the favorite of my Mom. However, a close second would be the Nine Patch. As Cheryl gained more experience, and confidence in her ability, she tackled the Glorified Nine Patch. I think it turned out very nice. The fact that she used blue and yellow fabric didn't hurt.

10-6 Glorified nine Patch.jpg
    Finally, this is her latest project, the Grandmother's Flower Garden for my sister. She still had to do some readjusting on the size, but by and large it's completed. She was very happy that she got the Accuquilt half hexie die, because it would have taken her months to get this far otherwise.

10-6 GFG.jpg
    More tomorrow!

Rob
    There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
    --Ken Burns

Beautiful showing today, Rob. I love everything, especially the Glorified 9-Patch and the GFG. The quilt made with Thimbleberries fabric is wonderful, too. I made a Log Cabin (my favorite) quilt from Thimbleberries. It took me a long time to gather up the variety I needed to complete it.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Cheryl's quilts are beautiful! I've never seen that Glorified Nine Patch pattern before. I really like it. The Hunter's Star is a favorite block of mine & the blue & yellow are perfect for that quilt. Cheryl has a good eye for color combinations. That's always a hard part of quilting for me. So happy to see her beautiful work today.

Comment

More beautiful quilts to love along with their special stories. Of course, Patsy steals the show. I love the blue and yellows fabrics. They always look so pretty in a quilt. Thanks for a great Tuesday show!

Comment

OH those are beautiful. Especially love the Glorified Nine Patch one. 😀

Comment

These quilts are nice. I want to make a hunter star some day. Did you use a die for that one? I think Jenny did a tutorial for that too. I have a glorified nine patch die. I just need to pick some fabrics or decide if I want to use scraps.

Comment

Thanks for sharing. I am in awe of the GFG. How big is that quilt?
              No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
              Aesop

Comment

Beautiful quilts...I really like the glorified 9 patch. It's the first time I have seen one. I am envious of the precision in the patterns. I was born an Aquarius and straight lines for me always look like lightning bolts.. I always appreciate the discipline it takes to make things perfect that others do.

Comment

Paisley, she did use the Hunter's Star die. Cheryl also used the Glorified Nine Patch die.

Granny Fran, as of right now the quilt measures 96 inches wide by 71 inches high. She's going to have to adjust it so its closer to 86x86, which will mean taking some off the sides and adding some on the top and bottom.

Rob
                  There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                  --Ken Burns

Comment

Beautiful quilts! Thanks for sharing. I agree..the colours work well together in all of them. That G9P is a really neat pattern. I like the Thimbleberries as well.
                    Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Beautiful work! I love the pink flower one, so pretty. We have 2 guilds here but both are extremely large, each one has a couple of hundred people in them. I love that you could learn so much from experienced quilters and the techniques they use but with so many in a guild I wonder just how many people I would actually meet.
                      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Beautiful work! I was in a guild in Germany and loved it! I haven't found one hwre and there's no quilt shops in this city either. I love the gfg...I've wanted to do one.

Comment

Beautiful quilts!
                          Maria

Comment

Another great showing.
                            Blessed are the children of the piecemakers for they shall inherit the quilts!

Comment

All of your quilts are beautiful. I am curious -- the Gloried Nine Patch, was it made with the Quick Curve Ruler. I know there is a 9 patch to be made with it. Gorgeous work.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Working...
                              X