Sharing Our Quilts ~ Tuesday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Our Quilts ~ Tuesday

I guess Monique isn’t with us today so I’ll fill in for her. If she comes along later, you will have a double amount of quilts to look at today.

The blue Dresden was made by my great grandmother Rose. When it was given to me it had been “unquilted”. In a weak moment I machine quilted it and I have regretted doing that so many times. I had no idea I would love this quilt the way I do. It used to hang in my other sewing room behind the daybed.

The pink quilt is the first quilt I made totally on my own with no help. I finished it when I was 14. I embroidered the center blocks and daringly mixed white and off-white muslin together because it was all I could afford. I had to fund this project with my babysitting money and I only got 25 cents an hour! I managed the prairie points because I was afraid to tackle binding. I could only afford five pre- stamped quilt blocks to embroider but that forced me to get creative with the piecing. The quilt is hand embroidered, hand pieced and hand quilted. This quilt was used on my daughter’s bed for several years. It holds a very special place in my heart ♥️
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Bubby; September 29, 2020, 09:44 AM.
    sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Barb, the pink and white quilt is totally awesome! And to think you were only 14. You were already showing your quilting talent 😍

Comment

These are both so pretty Barb. The pink one was a bold chance by you that paid off well. It’s such a pretty quilt. Nowadays we see that color blend often.

Comment

I'm not sure what's more special...your quilts, your stories behind them, or your talent, especially at such a young age! Wow!! So beautiful and amazing Barb!
        Rainy days are for quilting. Thank goodness I live in a rainforest! 😁

Comment

Love the dresden, Barb Gina

Comment

Wow these are impressive. I love the Dresden Plate. I have it on my wishlist to make .... one day.

Enjoy life and do what makes you happy. Everything else will follow.

Every day I try to do one thing that challenges my comfort zone.

Comment

Beautiful quilts, I love both of them.
              Katrina
              “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Both quilts are wonderful! Talking about baby siting for 25 cents/hr. reminded me of my college days when I used to work for 50 cents/hr. to help pay for my school expenses. I worked in the kitchen, set tables, cleared dishes, washed long sheets of aluminum foil, which had been used to cover the long stainless steel baking pans, cleaned the bathroom on my floor of my dorm -- the toilets, sink, scrubbed the showers, mopped the floor, etc. At another school I got up at 5 a.m. to help cook & serve breakfast, waited tables for banquets, etc. The kitchen help had a lot of comradery.

Comment

Barb, I love both your quilts and the history behind them. Brought back many fond memories here of babysitting and saving that money to buy fabric. I do not hold a candle to what you did at that age, though. Thanks for filling in for Monique.
                  No act of kindness, however small, is ever wasted.
                  Aesop

Comment

My parents would pay for everything pertaining to my education, but sewing was considered “nonsense”. Therefore, I worked and supported my hobby that way. Fortunately there was a wonderful woman who became like an Aunt to me who worked in the fabric department of the local Ben Franklin store where I shopped. She had sympathy for my strained budget and allowed me to divide up my supplies into multiple small layaways. I went in every weekend to pay on my layaways. Evelyn befriended me in many ways. She attended my HS graduation, wedding and my baby shower and she became my beloved Aunt Evelyn. She never married and had no siblings so as it turned out we needed each other. She was so good to me.

Joy, you were a hard worker to be sure. I always have been, too.
                    Last edited by Bubby; September 29, 2020, 01:13 PM.

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Thank you for this beautiful show of quilts. Looks like there is a precious story behind every one of your quilts. Thanks for filling in for Monique & allowing us this "double show" of quilts.

Comment

Just noticed this. Great quilts Barb!

Boy, working for 50 cents per day today wouldn't get you a cup of coffee at college. I knew a guy who, in the 1970s, got his Ph.D. in Louisiana. He said after it was awarded, the only debt he owed was $150 to his sister, who funded his research trip to Washington so he could work in the Library of Congress. When I graduated in 1985, I owed $20,000. My payments were $276 a month and my first newspaper job paid a whopping $165 a week (before taxes). Glad I don't have any kids to face that challenge again. Patsy isn't going to college.😁

Rob
                        There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                        --Ken Burns

Comment

The sad thing is that I babysat three children, fed them dinner, cleaned up dinner dishes, bathed the kids and put them to bed for 25 cents an hour! To be fair the parents usually gave me a little extra as a tip, but not much. I tell young people this and they don’t believe me because it’s unfathomable nowadays. I have always loved children and my goal was to take good care of them and keep them happy and safe.
                          Last edited by Bubby; September 29, 2020, 05:22 PM.

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

Barb, those are beautiful!! Funny how quilts hold so many memories!!

Comment

His quilts are two precious treasures and their stories are so authentic they were other times and other needs but his love for patchwork allowed us to see that fantastic quilt and all his loving work today

Comment

Working...
                              X