Sharing Quilts, Monday KPH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sharing Quilts, Monday KPH

I'm going to start with my treasures. I had nothing to do with the making of these quilts.

102_0698.JPG Story goes, my great grandmother made quilts for all of her grandkids. My Dad was the first to get to her house for the summer and got first pick. This quilt wasn't really made for Dad, she wanted it to go to his cousin Bink. One time where first come, first served paid off.

102_0700.JPG My maternal grandmother made this yo-yo quilt at Ashville Normal, during her college days. She gave it to me one summer to put on my bed. Mom decided she wanted it. She took it to have it attached to a pretty pink sheet, but the quilting bee at the church wouldn't touch it. Mom used it on her bed with the pink sheet under it. It did look pretty. I was not allowed to touch it or have it until after Mom passed. lol, kind of like Grandma's engagement ring that I never got... until Jim asked for it to give to Morgan.

102_0699.JPG Back to a Great grandma quilt. Mom used this on her bed. The batting is so thin now and bunchy in places. The backing is a solid blue my mom picked out.

102_0701.JPG My maternal grandmother's sister Annie Dove made this for me. Memories of Aunt Annie Dove and Uncle Sam fill me with joy. The dolls are started to fray so Mom made me put it up. Lighter than air biscuits, the little house with the bathroom on the back porch, and lots and lots of laughter.

Well those are my treasures, my inspiration to join in on the family tradition of sharing love through quilting.
    Attached Files
    Katrina
    “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Such beautiful quilts and wonderful stories to go with them.
    Ginny B

http://www.ginnyscraftbasket.wordpress.com

Comment

Beautiful quilts and what lovely memories to go with them.
      Carlie

Comment

Beautiful quilts and treasured memories to go with each one. They were made with loving hands and now you give them a loving home. I love your stories of the special ladies that made them.

Comment

You were right to refer to these quilts as treasures. There were wonderful quilters in your family and now you are carrying on the tradition. Beautiful collection today...thank you.
          sigpicwww.whisperofrose.blogspot.com

Scottie Mom Barb

Comment

OH somebody loved PINK! I am in awe of those. wonderful!!!

Comment

Oh my, what treasures you have, they are beautiful. I have always wanted a Sunbonnet Sue quilt, must put that on my bucket list

Comment

I think the ultimate use of quilts is both practical and spiritual. Practical in that they keep us warm, but spiritual in that they warm our souls. The memories you have from those quilts will live on long past your time here as those who follow will share them with those who follow them. Thanks for sharing such lovely quilts and beautiful memories.

Rob
                There's nothing more directly linked to who we are than the fabric that we make.
                --Ken Burns

Comment

Beautiful quilts & lovely memories of the makers. Thank you for sharing these. Gina

Comment

Oh Katrina! Great treasures! I wish others had quilted in family. I love that they were all used with love. Great quilts and history!!

Comment

Treasures is the perfect word for them, what beauties and the history behind them. I love them all but that yo-yo one really speaks to me!
                      If you could choose to be anything choose kindness.

Visit my Flickr page, sewing and cakes!
                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

www.pinterest.com/cathyfiebe/boards

Comment

Originally posted by Cathy F View Post
                        Treasures is the perfect word for them, what beauties and the history behind them. I love them all but that yo-yo one really speaks to me!
                        I would go and spend a week with Grandma and Grandpa Mac every summer. She tried her best to teach me how to make the yo yos, but I didn't have the dexterity to do it.

I think now that I've done a hexie quilt, I think I might be able to do it. Maybe, one day. lol
                        Katrina
                        “Nothing can dim the light which shines from within.” Maya Angelou

Comment

Katrina ~ Thanks for sharing your vintage treasures. I have only 2 quilts passed down. One was a red & white one from my grandma on my mom's side. I never knew her; she died when I was 2 y.o. It has names & dates embroidered on it. The other one is just a scrap quilt (large pieces) DH's mom put together. It's practical for warmth, but has no eye appeal.

Comment

Love your stories that go with these heirloom treasures

Comment

I love seeing quilts passed down through the ages. I only have 2 from DH's side of the family but I treasure them dearly. Thanks for the show of heirloom treasures.

Comment

Working...
                              X